[NA] I'm Considering a Career and Location Move

Rich Holt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
holtyrd
Someone talk me out of moving to Illinois. My Wife has narrowed down our choice of the locale to Northern Illinois, or SE Ohio. This is based on a (nearly) scientific calculus involving climate, economics, and insect migratory considerations. :dunno:

From where?
Is the move for Job?
Is the move for Family?
Is the move for Lifestyle?

Pros: At least it's not Missouri

Cons: Well, there's the corrupt politics there, not that Cali or NY are better.
It snows, too much.
Its' hard to say correctly.​

From SC? Are you crazy? :D

NE IL are Chicago suburbs

SE OH is basically Wheeling WV

Climate - colder. IL windier, snowier (I think)

Econ - you’ll pay more tax in IL. Economically depressed areas more in SE OH.

Bugs - less than SC

From where?
Is the move for Job? Not exactly
Is the move for Family? Yes. Mostly medical considerations
Is the move for Lifestyle? It is closer to Oshkosh

Pros: At least it's not Missouri

Cons: Well, there's the corrupt politics there, not that Cali or NY are better.
It snows, too much.
Its' hard to say correctly.​

Seldom have I heard of such a flawed model as would produce that result. Next you’ll tell us Secaucus, NJ is next in line.

You can always move back. Sell your place when you move (or rent it out). Rent where you move to. Housing market ought to cool with interest rates going up (eventually...still insane market).

Someone talk me out of moving to Illinois. My Wife has narrowed down our choice of the locale to Northern Illinois, or SE Ohio. This is based on a (nearly) scientific calculus involving climate, economics, and insect migratory considerations. :dunno:

If it's a consideration, take into account local firearm regulations/restrictions/requirements.

Also, local taxes on aircraft (property taxes)

(but I'm not looking to get into a discussion of them...)

"Northern Illinois, or SE Ohio"

Never lived in Illinois but I have lived in Ohio and I was glad to see it in the mirror on the way out of town. You may like it and if the wife is insisting then you may not have much choice in the matter ... :D

Have you considered Peoria? I hear they have nice people there.

:D

I went to college in Illinois (near St. Louis) for 2½ years. It was a great place to learn to fly but I wouldn't EVER want to live there, but I grew up in the eastern mountains so flatland doesn't do it for me. Lots of boring people, too. But if family/medical needs demand it, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Someone talk me out of moving to Illinois.
Free country, nobody is making you move so I won’t talk you out of it. Choices have consequences, so as long as those are accepted then get on with it. Or not.

But don’t blame me for your decision not to agree to move. Or to agree to.

Might he cheaper than a divorce, but not for certain.

I think that is a good idea. Illinois is a wonderful place, so I have heard.

There's one moving north. Small steps in the right direction.

Yeah, I kinda think that if 'Chicago' comes up as your answer, you've possibly asked the wrong question. Unless it was about music, or what time it is.

I went to college in Illinois (near St. Louis) for 2½ years. It was a great place to learn to fly but I wouldn't EVER want to live there, but I grew up in the eastern mountains so flatland doesn't do it for me. Lots of boring people, too. But if family/medical needs demand it, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

SIU-E?

Check your math. There is a mistake somewhere.

Uhh .. do you want to pay $12,000 in property taxes on a $450k home - that’s IL.

Back