3rd class medical and dui and open intox.

Swampfox007

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Swampfox007
I'm 25 years old and have made some very regrettable decisions in my past. I'm going to Share my convictions with you
-07/16/2015 ILLEGAL ENTRY
-USED OIL - IMPROPER DISPOSAL 07/16/2015
-RECKLESS DRIVING07/16/2015
-RETAIL FRAUD - 3RD DEGREE10/06/2017
-OPEN INTOX IN M/V07/25/2018
-Owi reduced to OPERATING- IMPAIRED12/18/2020
My concern is that I have 2 alcohol events in the last 5 years and some misdemeanors from when i was much younger. How do you think my chances are of getting my medical? I went to a local examination and the examiner wasn't sure if he could issue or not and told me he wants me to write a statement detailing the events and go from there. I just wanted to come here to chat about what to expect going forward. I also wasn't sure also if open intox counted as a 2end event in the 5 years as I wasn't drinking and driving when I got that ticket, my buddie who I was driving home had a open beer he took off the boat that night. What do you think? I appreciate any advice and information.
I will note these days are behind me and I'm a much more stable and respectable person then I once was. I realize that what I have done in my past was wrong and I'm just trying to move forward in life.

It’s that improper dumping of the oil that’s going to get you!
How did you even get that? Pour some oil in a politicians koi pond or something?

Was the reckless a “wet reckless”?

2 offenses and one from 18 months ago. As far as the FAA is concerned, I don't think they're convinced those days are behind you. What was your bac?

It’s that improper dumping of the oil that’s going to get you!
How did you even get that? Pour some oil in a politicians koi pond or something?

Was the reckless a “wet reckless”?
No the reckless was not alcohol related at all.

Improper dumping was from changing oil on a car in a parking lot due to a issue I was having and throwing the oil containers in the dumpster at a gas station. Gas station employee saw me do that and reported my plate to the police and I got a misdemeanor ticket in the mail. Lesson learned, don't toss that stuff in the trash.

Last edited:
No the reckless was not alcohol related at all.

Improper dumbing was from changing oil on a car in a parking lot due to a issue I was having and throwing the oil containers in the dumpster at a gas station. Gas station employee saw me do that and reported my plate to the police and I got a misdemeanor ticket in the mail. Lesson learned, don't toss that stuff in the trash.

Wow! I have reported felony level crimes and couldn’t even get the police to give me a report “civil matter”, that’s some bad luck.

Did you fill out the med express and actually apply for the medical with that doc, or did you get a off the books consult?

2 offenses and one from 18 months ago. As far as the FAA is concerned, I don't think they're convinced those days are behind you. What was your bac?

I understand why they would think that. Maybe flying is somthing I'm going to have to hold off on for now. I'm still young and have time to prove myself. I figured I'd at least try. I dident even think about my record being a issue until I got to this medical part. I've allready rsvp a spot in ground school and found a school and instructor I really like that took me for a introduction flight. I guess my plan is just to be honest and see what happens. I don't really have thousands extras to spend ontop of the 12k I need for school so if they put me though the hoops I'm going to just have to wait it out.

Last edited:
Wow! I have reported felony level crimes and couldn’t even get the police to give me a report “civil matter”, that’s some bad luck.

Did you fill out the med express and actually apply for the medical with that doc, or did you get a off the books consult?
I filled out med express and went to the doctor. Nothing was off the books.

I filled out med express and went to the doctor. Nothing was off the books.

Well crap, that might have limited options, you’ll be getting a letter soon from the FAA with your answers, guessing it’ll be a HIMS hoop jumping 4-5 figures and a good chunk of time, if you’re lucky with 2 on the books.

The ball is in motion.

Well crap, that might have limited options, you’ll be getting a letter soon from the FAA with your answers, guessing it’ll be a HIMS hoop jumping 4-5 figures and a good chunk of time, if you’re lucky with 2 on the books.

The ball is in motion.
Yea if i thought of this sooner I would of just got my sports license, the plane I was going to learn in was a rv-12 so i would of been fine. Can't turn back the clock now. I can't pay 5k ontop the cost of the school right now so if that's the case ill be grounded for a while but I'll get up there eventually.

I don't belive the doctor has submitted anything yet. I belive he is waiting for my statement and he told me he has 10 days to submit it. Should I tell him I've decided with my record to not pursue this right now? Or because I filled out the med express form is the process truly rolling and I can't turn back now?

I don't belive the doctor has submitted anything yet. I belive he is waiting for my statement and he told me he has 10 days to submit it. Should I tell him I've decided with my record to not pursue this right now? Or because I filled out the med express form is the process truly rolling and I can't turn back now?

It’s submitted, if you gave him the med express number, no turning back

Read up on that statement, talk to a lawyer who knows the FAA.

You're committed at this point. The ultimate outcome will be a medical certificate or a denial. So you might as well work with the AME and see what you can do.

I don't belive the doctor has submitted anything yet. I belive he is waiting for my statement and he told me he has 10 days to submit it.

Ask the doc if he entered the med express number into the system. If yes, the exam is live and you're screwed. If no, ask him not to enter it until you're ready to spend the time and money that will be necessary. If he hasn't entered the number, the exam hasn't officially started and you could still do Sport Pilot.

BUT, just because you can doesn't mean you should. An OWI as recently as Dec of 2020 would indicate to many people that you still have a problem and need a few years of demonstrated sobriety, preferably with some sort of official program and monitoring, regardless of what the FAA regulations might allow.

Flying demands not only sobriety, but also good judgement. So far you've demonstrated pretty poor judgement in several instances.

Not trying to bust your chops, just don't want to sugar coat anything. Flying is a serious endeavor.

Last edited:
OK, notwithstanding all the noise, two alcohol-related convictions AT ANY TIME is going to be problematic. It is a mandatory deferral. The FAA is going to want the following, so you might as well get it ready for the inevitable letter:

1. Complete driving history from every place you lived to show that there were not MORE incidents.
2. Any records of these court cases that you have.
3. A personal statement (there's specific FAA guidance about what they want in the document I link below).
4. Any treatment records you've undergone be it medical or something like AA.

I'm fairly sure that if your AME is not a HIMS AME, you're going to be directed to one for an evaluation.

Personally, if you're serious about wanting to fly, you're going to probably need to give up drinking. The FAA is going to want to see demonstrated sobriety, and that means complete abstinence not just that you manage to avoid getting caught above .08.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...de/media/FAA_Certification_Aid_DA_Initial.pdf

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back