FAA hijacker profile

5'10" which is tall for a woman.
In fact I am taller than many men.

And a little over a foot taller than my wife... :yesnod:

She is always telling me she wishes she had been tall enough to be a model. I keep telling her if she was taller I would not have married her. She has a hard time finding clothes that fit. Seems like current styles in the area are, uh... let's say XL, black and hooded. She really dislikes it when shopping for clothes and the sales person directs her towards the children's section.

Today it would probably be confiscated.

I suppose it depends on the country... Many years ago I used to fly often to a small city in Switzerland, close to the border and with plenty of banks. One day I was waiting for a taxi at the airport, with an old man in front of me. He had a duffel on the floor next to him, and when the taxi arrived the driver jumped to help with the bag. As soon as he tried to lift the bag from the floor the driver went: "What the hell have you got in here, lead?". To that, the old guy replied: "Young man, lead is worth nothing".

I suppose it depends on the country...
You don't have to look outside the U.S. Google "civil asset forfeiture" -- many police departments, especially in the South, have enriched themselves by confiscating cash, vehicles, etc. on the pretext that the folks possessing them were engaged in criminal activity. Undoubtedly some of them were, but pity anyone innocently transporting significant amounts of cash who gets pulled over.

Those are weird things to judge someone on, especially height and rental car.
I'm tall for a woman, does that make me more, or less, of a risk.
Not if you are carrying a basket ball.

And a little over a foot taller than my wife... :yesnod:

She is always telling me she wishes she had been tall enough to be a model. I keep telling her if she was taller I would not have married her. She has a hard time finding clothes that fit. Seems like current styles in the area are, uh... let's say XL, black and hooded. She really dislikes it when shopping for clothes and the sales person directs her towards the children's section.

Uh huh. I’m married to the world’s cutest 4’11” brunette. Same story. I’ve given up on finding her clothes for gifts.

“Children’s section? Could you show me where to find the children’s negligees?”

That’s the government’s M.O.

today it would probably be confiscated.

Yep. The feds would find traces of drugs on the cash, ignoring the fact that almost every 100 dollar bill in circulation is contaminated.

"Civil forfeiture" is one of the most shameful policies ever concocted by those that supposedly serve and protect us. Thousands of people have been victimized by this legal piracy.

My experience turned out to be a harmless encounter that I can joke about now. It's not so funny for today's victims.

For me, that entails considerable risk.

I’m 5’3”. I can get into a lot of trouble hugging a woman when my head only comes up to her, uh, heart.

I'm told it's called motorboating.

I was kinda hoping for a serious answer to my original question. This is for a historical research project; for those interested, please see my blog post at https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/22579779-d-b-cooper-profiling. Passenger profiling has (I believe) long been abandoned in the USA, so there is no issue of current public interest. Any former or retired airport screening personnel? Any US Marshals? FAA or airline security personnel? Anyone?

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping for a serious answer to my original question. This is for a historical research project. Passenger profiling has (I believe) long been abandoned in the USA, so there is no issue of current public interest. Any former or retired airport screening personnel? Any US Marshals? FAA or airline security personnel? Anyone?
Define “passenger profiling”.

I was kinda hoping for a serious answer to my original question. This is for a historical research project; for those interested, please see my blog post at https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/22579779-d-b-cooper-profiling. Passenger profiling has (I believe) long been abandoned in the USA, so there is no issue of current public interest. Any former or retired airport screening personnel? Any US Marshals? FAA or airline security personnel? Anyone?
Only two things I can add which may not help much:

1.) I don't recall which Jack Reacher book it was (starts with a woman on a subway he thinks is a suicide bomber). Reacher is going over this list of everything she matches. Supposedly it was first derived from the Israeli's and later many governments use it. Now whether Lee Child just made it up or found an actual list - who knows. If it is true they seem somewhat related IIRC.

2.) New Zealand had two great airport security examples. #1. Leaving Auckland, my wife forgot a water bottle was in her backpack. The security person flagged it during the xray machine. Then a sorta cool thing happened. They asked who it belongs to. My wife confirmed it was hers. Then they made her drink almost half of it. Then they threw it in the garbage. #2 I believe it was at the Dunedin airport, which does larger commuter, some jets, etc. We check in. We walk up to the second level. We see our gate right away by a really nice bar. At this point is hasn't occurred to my wife or myself. My daughter (about 8yrs old) says "Hey, no security!". So that's what travel was like way back when :)

...I know, none of this helps.

They asked who it belongs to. My wife confirmed it was hers. Then they made her drink almost half of it.
I was about 5 people in line behind the kid at Aspen that they made drink the pond water he was taking home for science class…he got REALLY sick afterward, according to the media.

I was kinda hoping for a serious answer to my original question.

You had that expectation from the POA? Now, if you were asking about an obscure FAR/AIM regulation then you'd have a multitude of serious people with serious answers ready for "death before dishonor".

The only source you could really to go would be to call the TSA, but asking "So, what are your secret profiling and algorithms you use" will not go over well. AND... in today's world of intentionally not profiling anyone, it might not even exist. I remember when Al Gore was praising how he was screened just like anyone else. On one hand, it sounds great - all are equal. On the other hand it was wasted resources - Al Gore was not going to do anything bad, so his screening was useless.

Can't answer your specific question, but I will add that Hijacking pre-9-11 was a very different kettle of fish. Usually ended up being an unscheduled flight to Havana. Generally little risk of death. Security was more focused on trying to find the communist radical vs the suicide pilot.

1.) I don't recall which Jack Reacher book it was (starts with a woman on a subway he thinks is a suicide bomber). Reacher is going over this list of everything she matches.

Many thanks. The book is "Gone Tomorrow". The twelve points that Mr Child enumerates are:
* for a man: fresh shave (lower face lighter than upper)
* inappropriate clothing (for the place or weather)
* robotic walk
* irritability, sweating, tics, and nervous behavior
* breathing (low and controlled)
* staring rigidly ahead
* mumbled prayers
* a large bag
* hands in the bag.
Good read! My feeling is that Mr Child had drawn upon a real Israeli profiling system. If he had invented his twelve points, he could have dropped the fresh shave and the robotic walk which were not essential to the narrative (since the suspect was a woman, seated).

Last edited:
I watched some of those boarder guard shows

“durp, he seemed nervous” but the guard in the video seemed more nervous than the traveler

Are they guarding skate boarders or snow boarders? Or just plain old Air BnB “room & boarders” with beefed up security?

Many thanks. The book is "Gone Tomorrow". The twelve points that he mentions are:
* robotic walk
* staring rigidly ahead
* mumbled prayers
* a large bag
* hands in the bag.
Good read!

Except for the fresh shave item, at least one of those is represented by most customers at any Walmart on any given day.

Many thanks. The book is "Gone Tomorrow". The twelve points that he mentions are:
* robotic walk
* staring rigidly ahead
* mumbled prayers
* a large bag
* hands in the bag.
Good read!

The scary thing is our tax dollars pay these people to come up with this nonsense.

Breathing too slow, bad guy, too fast, bad guy,
big bag, bad guy, no bag, bad guy.

Honestly I miss the old days when my tax dollars just went to hush money for politicians hookers or young boys. At least there was a little more honesty in that.

Back