Reports Suggest An ITA Airbus A330 Pilot Fell Asleep Over France

Yet driving a car on auto pilot is just considered a bad idea...

I know, big difference between a Airbus and a Tesla....

A lot in this story as presented doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure that we will eventually, some day, have fully automated self-driving vehicles on the road. I'm also quite certain that it will be quite some time before that is practical. For all the processing power and all the advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning, the technology when applied to road-going vehicles is in its infancy. It's simply not as easy as building a fully autonomous aircraft or train. When I drive on public roads, I encounter situations where it's difficult for a fully functioning human brain to figure out the correct path for the vehicle to take, and those conditions can and do change minute by minute.

Developing systems and software to safely drive in 80 or 90 percent of situations, sure. No problem. It's that last 5-10 percent that will get you, though. That's why there are always dire warnings to keep your hands on the wheel and be ready to take over driving; unfortunately that sort of defeats the whole purpose of their "autopilot" system and is apparently widely ignored.

Back