Celebrity Pilots

In fairness, that clip is from “The New Bob Cumming Show” which is different from “The Bob Cummings Show” of neither I had ever heard of until 10 minutes ago. :)
Oh, you mean THIS Beech 18:

I give up looking for footage of a Beech 18 in the series, but I bet there is one. After all, according to this article, Bob Cummings was America's first CFI. What CFI would be able to resist?

Last edited:
Nah, that one's the Taylor Aerocar, one of which I was lucky enough to see fly a couple of years ago.

Gene Autry (1907-1998)—Musician. Flew the Hump in World War II, owned a DC–3 and Beech 18.

Bob Cummings owned a number of airplanes over the years, most called "Spinach."

Here's a shot of Spinach 1, his first airplane (a Porterfield), under restoration at my home airport.
Spinach2.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek), Tim McGraw, Jimmy Buffet
I'm from PA so can't forget Jimmy Stewart and Arnold Palmer both with Airports named after them.

Say what you will about Harrison Ford, he did a ton donating his name and time to Young Eagles
And got the theatre at Wings in Denver named for him

Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek), Tim McGraw, Jimmy Buffet
I'm from PA so can't forget Jimmy Stewart and Arnold Palmer both with Airports named after them.

Say what you will about Harrison Ford, he did a ton donating his name and time to Young Eagles
And got the theatre at Wings in Denver named for him
They say Angelina Jolie, but in the database she never got her license.
She has a foreign license, not US but with privs in the US.

Oh, you mean THIS Beech 18:

I give up looking for footage of a Beech 18 in the series, but I bet there is one. After all, according to this article, Bob Cummings was America's first CFI. What CFI would be able to resist?

Time for an obscure TV show reference...

The opening credits of the video display Ann B. Davis as a star of the series. She was better known as the housekeeper on The Brady Bunch.

Lest we forget the hot ones

6a232f0dfa3bd44c10db0f7474b412b4.jpg

Didn't he accomplish losing his medical due to a couple of DUIs? Good judgement was not exactly his strength.
As he lost his medical, he shouldn't have been flying the day he crashed. But the location of the fuel select valve on his plane was the leading cause of his demise. Maybe poor judgment to have a plane with those problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver#cite_ref-AVW_51-5
Post-accident investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) showed that the leading cause of the accident was Denver's inability to switch fuel tanks during flight. The quantity of fuel had been depleted during the plane's flight to Monterey and in several brief practice takeoffs and landings Denver performed at the airport immediately before the final flight. His newly purchased amateur-built Rutan aircraft had an unusual fuel tank selector valve handle configuration. The handle had originally been intended by the plane's designer to be between the pilot's legs. The builder instead put it behind the pilot's left shoulder. The fuel gauge was also placed behind the pilot's seat and was not visible to the person at the controls.[51][52] An NTSB interview with the aircraft mechanic servicing Denver's plane revealed that he and Denver had discussed the inaccessibility of the cockpit fuel selector valve handle and its resistance to being turned.[51][52]

Before the flight, Denver and the mechanic had attempted to extend the reach of the handle using a pair of Vise-Grip pliers, but this did not solve the problem, and the pilot still could not reach the handle while strapped into his seat. NTSB officials' post-accident investigation showed that because of the fuel selector valves' positioning, switching fuel tanks required the pilot to turn his body 90 degrees to reach the valve. This created a natural tendency to extend one's right foot against the right rudder pedal to support oneself while turning in the seat, which caused the aircraft to yaw (nose right) and pitch up.[51][52]

The mechanic said that he told Denver that the fuel sight gauges were visible only to the rear cockpit occupant. Denver had asked how much fuel was shown. He told Denver that there was "less than half in the right tank and less than a quarter in the left tank". He then provided Denver with an inspection mirror so he could look over his shoulder at the fuel gauges. The mirror was later recovered in the wreckage. Denver said that he would use the autopilot in flight to hold the airplane level while he turned the fuel selector valve. He turned down an offer to refuel, saying that he would be flying for about an hour.[51][52]

As he lost his medical, he shouldn't have been flying the day he crashed. But the location of the fuel select valve on his plane was the leading cause of his demise. Maybe poor judgment to have a plane with those problems.

Agreed. It was certainly poor judgement to fly the plane in that configuration knowing it was low on fuel and a tank change would be required.

Drunks often have poor judgment or they wouldn’t be drunks. Which I suspect is reflected in the FAA’s stance on abuse of alcohol and other substances.

Bob Cummings owned a number of airplanes over the years, most called "Spinach."

I used to rent a very old hangar at KWHP in the San Fernando Valley. It had (still has?) the work "Spinach" painted in big block letters across the door. Now I know the rest of the story...

C.

Hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't "do much" for her either.
I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.

Fortunately, there's only one person on the planet I have to worry about doing anything for, and it's not her.

I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.

Fortunately, there's only one person on the planet I have to worry about doing anything for, and it's not her.

Phew, good thing! She would probably crumble in your presence.

Remove the professional makeup, hairdresser, fancy clothes, special lighting, and suddenly Angelina will not seem so attractive either.
This same woman had her breasts removed for no reason, citing the excuse, that way she can't ever get breast cancer. Seems as logical as removing your brain, so you don't run the risk of getting brain cancer.
I would hazard a guess she would look rough if you woke up beside her after a nights sleep. Take away the Hollywood glitz, and she is just another person, who seems to have some mental health problems, sleeps around, likes married men, and has no breasts.
Why any man would find that attractive, is beyond me.

They replace them with prosthetics. I'll bet they're better than ever.

I live near Aspen and work there all the time. It is not uncommon to see celebrities, often they are barely recognizable. They usually don't look very good.
I did see Jessica Biel at the pool one day, she looked pretty good, but not movie good. I talked to Sandra Bullock once, at a desert race, she was very polite and nice. She looks pretty good, far better than wack job Jolie!

Dierks Bentley
Is he now? Definitely was riding in back of a charter XLS at DAY in 2017. I was wondering "Who's this hillbilly getting in a jet?" at the FBO then people told me who he was.

I live near Aspen and work there all the time. It is not uncommon to see celebrities, often they are barely recognizable. They usually don't look very good.
I did see Jessica Biel at the pool one day, she looked pretty good, but not movie good. I talked to Sandra Bullock once, at a desert race, she was very polite and nice. She looks pretty good, far better than wack job Jolie!

Like you, I have met many celebrities in real life. LeAnn Rimes, Merritt Patterson, and Lacey Chabert looked okay, the rest were rough looking.

Is he now? Definitely was riding in back of a charter XLS at DAY in 2017. I was wondering "Who's this hillbilly getting in a jet?" at the FBO then people told me who he was.

Yes. He also owned an SR-22, or at least he used to.6FF6D44A-1A83-45DE-B305-A0BF4B2D8630.png

I met Roy Clark in the ready room at Fallon as he was getting the dog and pony twenty some years ago, the afternoon before a show scheduled that night at the Nugget in Reno.

He looked like Roy Clark: jeans, plaid shirt, etc. Toothpick in the mouth if I remember correctly. He did look old, though, without the makeup. Maybe because he was old. And now, so am I (got a senior discount at the grocery store tonight <sigh>).

I definitely would have kicked him out of bed, just sayin'.

Last edited:
Remove the professional makeup, hairdresser, fancy clothes, special lighting, and suddenly Angelina will not seem so attractive either.
This same woman had her breasts removed for no reason, citing the excuse, that way she can't ever get breast cancer. Seems as logical as removing your brain, so you don't run the risk of getting brain cancer.
I would hazard a guess she would look rough if you woke up beside her after a nights sleep. Take away the Hollywood glitz, and she is just another person, who seems to have some mental health problems, sleeps around, likes married men, and has no breasts.
Why any man would find that attractive, is beyond me.

I think boobs and a brain are a little different

But if you’re looking to get a boob job anyways, lower cancer risk and increase publicity all in one move, seems like a pretty good move.

She always played the sexy woman, the clock is ticking on how long that will last, fake boobs probably bought her some time and a few roles, for what they make for a movie and later in royalties, pretty smart getting the fun bags bolt on upgrade, P&L wise very smart move.

Always was funny how women tear each other down, and it’s nearly always about looks ‍

Not sure if she was mentioned, but the green broad from Star Trek.

Not sure if she was mentioned, but the green broad from Star Trek.

She was, and much more respectfully of her.

One celebrity pilot that is always under the radar is Susan Oliver. On the original Star Trek she was the green girl in the Menagerie episode. She held a lot of flying records. Unfortunately passed away young.

"Broad", really? What is this, 1950?

I hear ya! I worked with a guy that used the term, "ding-bat broad" a lot. That was back in the '80s and he wasn't doing any dating. I think everyone knew why except him.

Back