GA sucks, and also doesn't.

So there I was...

Driving through Albuquerque in the summer in a old Jeep Cherokee with no air, and a cat. My kid and wife in a friend’s car close behind, because he had air.

To make a LONG story short, the cat jumped out the vent window on the passenger side... managed to catch it by the tail... HUGE mess.

Was towing a trailer, between a concrete divider and a semi... losing control of the whole mess... cat flopping along side, I got one hand on the steering wheel, the other had a handful of cat tail pinched onto the window frame. I’m sitting in the middle of the vehicle like a mail man, trying slow, dodge traffic, stabilize the cat and get to a shoulder... oh gawd, it was horrible.

Saved the cat. Wife kept telling my bud, “Mike is losing a coat out the window... pull up alongside!” Ya, no....

Very long post but thank you. From now on when we fly with our dog, she will be in a crate. Very scary!

So there I was...

Driving through Albuquerque in the summer in a old Jeep Cherokee with no air, and a cat. My kid and wife in a friend’s car close behind, because he had air.

To make a LONG story short, the cat jumped out the vent window on the passenger side... managed to catch it by the tail... HUGE mess.

Was towing a trailer, between a concrete divider and a semi... losing control of the whole mess... cat flopping along side, I got one hand on the steering wheel, the other had a handful of cat tail pinched onto the window frame. I’m sitting in the middle of the vehicle like a mail man, trying slow, dodge traffic, stabilize the cat and get to a shoulder... oh gawd, it was horrible.

Saved the cat. Wife kept telling my bud, “Mike is losing a coat out the window... pull up alongside!” Ya, no....
And this is where I wish, in addition to the "like" button, we also have a "ROFL" button.

Sounds like overall poor planning.

Don't blame 'GA' for your poor ADM.

Are you mentally deficient? Did you actually read everything? If you have the ability to control the weather 3-4 weeks out I would love to know how you can do that. Please enlighten me on how you do this. When you have a magneto go down 200 hours before suggested overhaul I would love to know how you can control that as well. Do you also travel with a spare A&P and a spare set of everything for your airplane? Do you make a rental car and hotel reservation at every single airport along your route just in case something goes wrong? I have seen some absolutely retarded posts on here from people on here, but this one of yours might top them all.

Just curious how long the failed mag was on the aircraft. 98% of mag failures seem to be well past their recommended overhual.

I enjoyed the story. Sorry you had to go through it, but you know what they say- tragedy plus time equals humor.

Just curious how long the failed mag was on the aircraft. 98% of mag failures seem to be well past their recommended overhual.

298 hours on the mag since overhaul prior to the start of this trip.

Are you mentally deficient? Did you actually read everything? If you have the ability to control the weather 3-4 weeks out I would love to know how you can do that. Please enlighten me on how you do this. When you have a magneto go down 200 hours before suggested overhaul I would love to know how you can control that as well. Do you also travel with a spare A&P and a spare set of everything for your airplane? Do you make a rental car and hotel reservation at every single airport along your route just in case something goes wrong? I have seen some absolutely retarded posts on here from people on here, but this one of yours might top them all.

See? Wrong focus. If you were good at planning you would have considered the unreliability of GA for transportation right at the very beginning, and then proposed to a local woman without kids.

You failed to think things through at the outset.

See? Wrong focus. If you were good at planning you would have considered the unreliability of GA for transportation right at the very beginning, and then proposed to a local woman without kids.

You failed to think things through at the outset.

Local women without kids would have had me over on W&B anyway.

Planes with enough payload for kids are either too expensive or too slow.

If you have the ability to control the weather 3-4 weeks out I would love to know how you can do that. Please enlighten me on how you do this.

Simple. Here in the high desert, June and July, hot and sunny. August, September and part of October, hot, sunny with occasional terrible thunderstorms. The rest of October, sunny and cooler. November and December, sunny but shorter days, cooler than October with occasional snow...

Rough travel experience. I wish high speed trains were an option here in USA to quickly move people, cargo, pets like in this scenario.

Simple. Here in the high desert, June and July, hot and sunny. August, September and part of October, hot, sunny with occasional terrible thunderstorms. The rest of October, sunny and cooler. November and December, sunny but shorter days, cooler than October with occasional snow...
Tell me how that works out in the Ohio River Valley. A week ago thunderstorms , last week clear.

Could have been worse. Clark Griswold left the dog tied to the bumper....

I'd say one day you'll laugh about this, but I'm not so sure it'll be any time soon.

Tell me how that works out in the Ohio River Valley. A week ago thunderstorms , last week clear.

That is why I included ''high desert''. Weather is consistently the same. During ''monsoon season'', deviating around thunderstorms (usually very large single cell) is just part of flying.

On the other hand, when I lived fairly close to the Ohio River, humidity and mosquitos were a constant and very easy to forecast.

Tough trip, stuff happens and you made the best of it. Amazing the things we do for love!

Am I the only one that thought that was a joke? :)

If not, yeah, agree with all that stuff you said! :)

Not sure where you see poor ADM. Weather is weather and nothing in the story suggests he flew the plane outside the aircraft’s or pilot’s capabilities. Dogs in the back, they had space and air flow. Maybe making sure they absolutely can’t do anything to the door prior to takeoff would be my only, tiny little critique in planning but at the same time, having a dog myself, they do stupid **** at times and you can’t doggy proof everything because they find ways to get in trouble. The only real ADM he had to make was not taking off with a bad mag. Some pilots would have still gone I assume, especially considering he was on the home stretch. So in my books, ADM is a solid A- here.

Moving spouse, kids, and dogs from Florida to Michigan. Ed never was one to do things the easy way.

I skimmed the post because I don't carethat much.

But having a full plane with unrestrained animals obviously is a bad idea..DID YOU READ THE LONG WINDED POST??

If you did waste yout time and read the entire post iirc 2 pages?? And you still think that the dude was not rushed and none of his plan actually went accordingly yet it was still a good idea to fly, then you win all the fake internet points. And more importantly, i still don't care that much.

Back