Cessna 208B crash short of Burley Municipal Airport

I wrote an article on the topic of dive and drive and featured this approach in the April 2014 edition of IFR magazine. Since then, the note "Visual Segment- Obstacles" was added to the procedure profile view, but otherwise this procedure is essentially unchanged (the VDA was actually decreased a little from 3.02 degrees to 3.0 degrees but the TCH was raised from 40 feet to 50 feet).

Found anonther approach with the same "feature" -- the RNAV-24 at Dixon, Wyoming. Following the advisory GP will either run you into the ground, or clear by maybe 20-40 feet if you're lucky. Here are a couple of Google Earth images. The first one shows an overall view from the FAF (HIBNU) through to the runway. The extruded wall is the advisory GP, and the black horizontal line is the MDA (7400 MSL). The second view is a profile with JULAB on the right showing where the advisory GP drops below MDA. The closest approach to terrain is circled in red. I don't know how accurate the google earth terrain, as the Garmin simulator winds up coming closer to terrain than this.

The next image is a shot from the Garmin simulator showing an altitude of 20 AGL 1/2 mile from JULAB. I've also uploaded the approach plate for reference.

Anyway, similar to the N23 RNAV-7 approach, following the advisory GP below MDA on this approach will at the very least give you a thrill to remember.

DWX-View-A.jpg DWX-View-B.jpg Low-Point.jpg

Attachments

• DWX-RNAV-24.pdf
    199.4 KB · Views: 5
The FAA warns about this in the AF/D. “Plus 500 ́ terrain 9,700 ́ from AER 24.”

Last edited:
I wrote an article on the topic of dive and drive and featured this approach in the April 2014 edition of IFR magazine. Since then, the note "Visual Segment- Obstacles" was added to the procedure profile view, but otherwise this procedure is essentially unchanged (the VDA was actually decreased a little from 3.02 degrees to 3.0 degrees but the TCH was raised from 40 feet to 50 feet).

Okay, I'm just having some fun with Google Earth here. This is a more dramatic depiction of the advisory GP for the N23 RNAV-7 approach.

Sorry, if this is beating a dead horse...but having learned how to make these depictions, I can't help myself :)

N23-Profile-View.jpg

OK, is there info upthread on how to create a GoogleEarth slope depiction?

Okay, I'm just having some fun with Google Earth here. This is a more dramatic depiction of the advisory GP for the N23 RNAV-7 approach.

Sorry, if this is beating a dead horse...but having learned how to make these depictions, I can't help myself :)

View attachment 107363

Now tell the media and become a “aviation expert” and $$

Now tell the media and become a “aviation expert” and $$

...uhhhh....maybe not. I would be happy however, to post a separate thread explaining how to create the KML file to display the image. Any suggestions as to which forum it belongs in?

...uhhhh....maybe not. I would be happy however, to post a separate thread explaining how to create the KML file to display the image. Any suggestions as to which forum it belongs in?
I’d like to know, for sure.

Back