How to handle a Terminal VOR in a Clearance?

KHTH has a "not authorized" for ATC reasons for runways 8 and 13 and a VCOA for 10 and 28. What does that mean for obstacle clearance.
Runway 13-33 is NA because it is not paved. Runway 10-28 is VCOA only, which means the VCOA criteria fit, but instrument departure criteria did not. So, you are responsible for your obstacle clearance and you should remain within 3 s.m. until leaving 4,200.

I'm not sure I understand that part. Are you saying that there is no diverse departure from the other three runways because the word "standard" is not published?
No. It wouldn't have to have standard. Rather, it says "Climb in Visual Conditions" with minimums of 4200-3.

15, 33, NA - ATC makes no sense. Is that what you find interesting? Or was there something else going on there?
Jepp doesn't say "NA ATC" for 15/33. The FAA does. But, it is because it is a turf runway. Jepp figured that out. They part company with the FAA when they see an obvious error.

Jepp doesn't say "NA ATC" for 15/33. The FAA does. But, it is because it is a turf runway. Jepp figured that out. They part company with the FAA when they see an obvious error.
They didn't do it because of terrain. That NA - ATC is just strange. Isn't Jepp supposed to publish what's in the source document even if they think it's silly? @RussR , is there something to this? https://www.faa.gov/aero_docs/acifp...01-HTH-NDBR/NV_HTH_TAKEOFF_HAWTHORNE_ORIG.pdf

REMARKS:
RWY 15,33: GRAVEL RUNWAY. DEPARTURE NOT DEVELOPED PER FPT CHECKLIST.
NO TEXTUAL DEPARTURE PROCEDURE DEVELOPED DUE TO SIGNIFICANT TERRAIN SURROUNDING AIRPORT.

Here is the 8260.15A for KHTH. It's about terrain and a gravel runway.

Attachments

• NV_KHTH_ODP_ORIG_F.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 5
No. It wouldn't have to have standard. Rather, it says "Climb in Visual Conditions" with minimums of 4200-3.
I'm asking a broader question. Here's the Q&A
Palmpilot said:
So if an airport has an instrument approach published, but no departure routing specified, is that what tells the pilot that it's a diverse departure?
aterpster said:
Yes, provided there are published takeoff minimums for the runway.

I would have thought the absence of published takeoff minimums would mean the takeoff minimums are standard and diverse departures permitted. You are saying the opposite, that if an airport with instrument approaches says nothing about takeoff minimums, it can't be used for IFR departures because there is no way to avoid obstacles. I would have thought that's what "NA" was all about. Like here:

upload_2022-5-29_14-40-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-5-29_14-38-25.png
    upload_2022-5-29_14-38-25.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

I would have thought the absence of published takeoff minimums would mean the takeoff minimums are standard and diverse departures permitted. You are saying the opposite, that if an airport with instrument approaches says nothing about takeoff minimums, it can't be used for IFR departures because there is no way to avoid obstacles. I would have thought that's what "NA" was all about. Like here:

View attachment 107279

View attachment 107279
That’s USAF, not FAA. It’s not a good example. It’s obvious that diverse departures are not possible at that location. And, yes, the 8260-15 has to state the takeoff minimums even if they are standard. (caveat: I don’t know what regulations or forms the military uses.)

That’s USAF, not FAA. It’s not a good example. It’s obvious that diverse departures are not possible at that location. And, yes, the 8260-15 has to state the takeoff minimums even if they are standard. (caveat: I don’t know what regulations or forms the military uses.)
I'm not getting an answer to my question, so let's try again with N51.

Palmpilot said:
So if an airport has an instrument approach published, but no departure routing specified, is that what tells the pilot that it's a diverse departure?
aterpster said:
Yes, provided there are published takeoff minimums for the runway.

At N51, the only runway with published takeoff minimums is 31. There are no published takeoff minimums or departure for 13, 4 or 22. According to what you said, because there are no published takeoff minimums for 4, 13, or 22, they have no diverse departure procedure. In which case, how does one use them for an IFR departure?

upload_2022-5-29_15-53-3.png

I'm not getting an answer to my question, so let's try again with N51.

At N51, the only runway with published takeoff minimums is 31. There are no published takeoff minimums or departure for 13, 4 or 22. According to what you said, because there are no published takeoff minimums for 4, 13, or 22, they have no diverse departure procedure. In which case, how does one use them for an IFR departure?

View attachment 107283
There is an FDC NOTAM on IFR takeoff minimums for that airport.

There is an FDC NOTAM on IFR takeoff minimums for that airport.
Wally, I think you are missing the question. And maybe others are misunderstanding your answer. I definitely did. until I remembered that sometimes you don't see what pilots see. You see 8260. Unless we have Jepp subscriptions, we see FAA charts.

I finally figured out that when you say "provided there are published takeoff minimums for the runway," you are referring to published in the 8260, which the typical GA pilot is not checking in their departure briefing (and might not be available even if they wanted to). While the 8260 "publishes" takeoff minimums for a runway using the word "standard," the FAA Chart Supplement does not (there are probably some exceptions). Here's a perfect example. The first pic is from the 8260 for Memphis Memorial in Missouri (03D).
upload_2022-5-29_16-35-10.png
But here is the entry in the Chart Supplement. No mention of nonstandard takeoff minimums no mention of an ODP, and nothing saying they are "standard," except the absence of something special.

upload_2022-5-29_16-36-19.png
So yes, @Palmpilot. if the airport has an instrument approach published, but no departure routing or special takeoff minimums specified in the Chart Supplement, that tells the pilot that it's a diverse departure.

Last edited:
Wally, I think you are missing the question. And maybe others are misunderstanding your answer. I definitely did. until I remembered that sometimes you don't see what pilots see. You see 8260. Unless we have Jepp subscriptions, we see FAA charts.
Yes. I see source on occasion. More significant, I am conversant in Jeppesen charts, not FAA charts.

Jeppesen provides standard takeoff minimums as a value added service.

The pilot who uses FAA charts has to be conversant with 91.175 (f)(2), which complements the DCS takeoff minimums. The FAA chart users also has to be conversant with the meaning of the inverted T symbol on FAA approach charts. I don't need to know all of that when I use Jepp charts.

Last edited:
@midlifeflyer Mark, I quote:

“Yeah backtracking is what's expected, but if you call us in a timely fashion it doesn't matter. Its not necessarily just lost comms either, if the frequency is very busy and it takes a while to get you identified and climbed it can be a problem.”

SO…tonight….(my final night commercial solo XC):

“Upon reaching controlled airspace, DIRECT SBJ expect RV V30 then AF…”

I read that back with glee! At least N90 made it explicit. The flight was uneventful, i.e. it was awesome.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have regularly received a void clearance that begins with "Cleared via after takeoff, fly heading XXX."

Yes. I see source on occasion. More significant, I am conversant in Jeppesen charts, not FAA charts.
That's what I finally figured out. Fortunately, I'm bilingual.

Last edited:
SO…tonight….(my final night commercial solo XC):

I read that back with glee! At least N90 made it explicit. The flight was not eventful, i.e. it was awesome.
That's more explicit. But I think a heading would be better. I can still see a pilot going, "how can I go direct somewhere I already am?"
@midlifeflyer Mark, I quote:

“Yeah backtracking is what's expected, but if you call us in a timely fashion it doesn't matter. Its not necessarily just lost comms either, if the frequency is very busy and it takes a while to get you identified and climbed it can be a problem.”
That's limbo.

Congratulations on completing the cross country!

[QUOTE="Trogdor, post: 3259877, member: 18777"“Upon reaching controlled airspace, DIRECT SBJ expect RV V30 then AF…”
[/QUOTE]

I’m catching up and read the thread.

I am curious how folks would fly this? Climbing turn into a random entry or something else? Without other guidance, I would likely fly outbound while climbing a few miles before turning back.

I have a question for anyone. I brought up the fact that KHTH does not have takeoff minimums because of terrain. It does have a VCOA which requires circle-climbing the airport some 4,000 feet to 8,300, then proceed to MVA VOR via the MVA R-251 to MVA at 11,500. (attached is the original FAA TERPs map). My question to any of you that use Garmin avionics. Would you make MVA the active waypoint and use OBS mode set to 251 (or 071)?

HTH VCOA.jpg

Go back to what I said in my first post of this thread.

"Vague means that the finer details don't matter. If they did, the clearance would have been more specific."

That clearance was more specific so that's what you fly. Your departure instructions on that one flight doesn't establish a policy for all departures from that airport. If you get something less specific next time, i.e. "left turn on course", then that's all you have to do.

I am curious how folks would fly this? Climbing turn into a random entry or something else? Without other guidance, I would likely fly outbound while climbing a few miles before turning back.
What's a 'random entry'?

1. Comply with any applicable procedures for departing the traffic pattern. If the airport is VMC, you have to conduct your departure so that it isn't interfering with VFR traffic.

2. Consider terrain and any appliable ODPs.

3. Climb to a safe altitude, at least 400', then turn direct to the VOR. Lead the turn from your inbound heading to the outbound radial, as appropriate, for your speed and the angle of the turn.

If it's IMC and there is no terrain restrictions precluding a turn at 400', you may never complete the turn to the VOR before it's time to start the turn back to the airway.

I have a question for anyone. I brought up the fact that KHTH does not have takeoff minimums because of terrain. It does have a VCOA which requires circle-climbing the airport some 4,000 feet to 8,300, then proceed to MVA VOR via the MVA R-251 to MVA at 11,500. (attached is the original FAA TERPs map). My question to any of you that use Garmin avionics. Would you make MVA the active waypoint and use OBS mode set to 251 (or 071)?

View attachment 107309
I would make MVA the active waypoint. KHTH MVA would suit me in as much as the 251 is right over the airport. But if I wanted to play with the OBS, it would be 071.

Last edited:
That's more explicit. But I think a heading would be better. I can still see a pilot going, "how can I go direct somewhere I already am?"

That's limbo.

Congratulations on completing the cross country!

FWIW, that when entering controlled airspace go direct somewhere is a miss application of the when entering controlled airspace thing by the controller. Here’s what it is about..all other airports are those not in a Surface Area.

(c) At all other airports− Do not specify direction of takeoff/turn after takeoff. If necessary to specify an initial heading to be flown after takeoff, issue the initial heading so as to apply only within controlled airspace.

WHEN ENTERING CONTROLLED AIRSPACE (instruction), FLY HEADING (degrees) UNTIL REACHING (altitude, point, or fix) BEFORE PROCEEDING ON COURSE.

Probably not. KHTH MVA would suit me in as much as the 251 is right over the airport. But if I wanted to play with the OBS, it would be 071.
I think I would do the same except I would also dial in 251 on CDI#2 and/or keep an eye on the bearing pointer, if it exists. However, I would use OBS if a radial were sprung upon me by surprise.

FWIW, that when entering controlled airspace go direct somewhere is a miss application of the when entering controlled airspace thing by the controller. Here’s what it is about..all other airports are those not in a Surface Area.

(c) At all other airports− Do not specify direction of takeoff/turn after takeoff. If necessary to specify an initial heading to be flown after takeoff, issue the initial heading so as to apply only within controlled airspace.

WHEN ENTERING CONTROLLED AIRSPACE (instruction), FLY HEADING (degrees) UNTIL REACHING (altitude, point, or fix) BEFORE PROCEEDING ON COURSE.
You’re saying this precludes specifying direct to a fix?

FWIW, I have regularly received a void clearance that begins with "Cleared via after takeoff, fly heading XXX."
I dunno what void has to do with it. But yeah, getting a heading to fly on departure is very common. Never heard that particular phraseology though. It’s usually ‘turn left/turn right or just fly. Usually the only time you hear the word ‘cleared’ is with the word ‘to’ when they give you the Clearance Limit. While we’re on the subject of getting a heading to fly, be sure and check the
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS, (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES, AND
DIVERSE VECTOR AREA (RADAR VECTORS) to make sure you can meet any climb restrictions you need to accept it. Here’s an example from KSBA…
DIVERSE VECTOR AREA (RADAR VECTORS)
AMDT 1 26MAY16 (16147) (FAA)
Rwy 7, heading as assigned by ATC; requires minimum climb of 270’ per NM to 1100.
Rwy 15L/R, heading as assigned by ATC.
Rwy 25, heading as assigned by ATC; requires minimum climb of 500’ per NM to 4600.

View attachment 107309
I'd use the "Course to Fix" rather than OBS mode (071) in a Garmin because it will auto sequence to the route after that.

"takeoff minimums other than standard."
That’s on the very first page of the Takeoff Mins section. It describes what’s in that section. Here it is in its entirety.

2273B06E-EB44-4DB4-885D-FF080D94A469.jpeg

I’m going to wade into this discussion a bit with the full acknowledgment that someone may end up correcting what I’m saying.

In the FAA world, if you look at the airport you’re departing from, and there’s no “Inverse T” symbol, then there’s nothing published in the “Takeoff mins” section and you can use a diverse departure with standard takeoff mins.

If there is an “Inverse T” then there is something published in that section, and you have to go look at it. In there may be a textual ODP, non-standard takeoff minimums, climb gradients, close-in obstacle listings or any combination of those.

If there are no non-standard takeoff mins published, then standard takeoff minimums apply. The absence of takeoff mins automatically means that you can use standard takeoff mins.

That’s on the very first page of the Takeoff Mins section. It describes what’s in that section. Here it is in its entirety.

View attachment 107331

I’m going to wade into this discussion a bit with the full acknowledgment that someone may end up correcting what I’m saying.

In the FAA world, if you look at the airport you’re departing from, and there’s no “Inverse T” symbol, then there’s nothing published in the “Takeoff mins” section and you can use a diverse departure with standard takeoff mins.

If there is an “Inverse T” then there is something published in that section, and you have to go look at it. In there may be a textual ODP, non-standard takeoff minimums, climb gradients, close-in obstacle listings or any combination of those.

If there are no non-standard takeoff mins published, then standard takeoff minimums apply. The absence of takeoff mins automatically means that you can use standard takeoff mins.
It's just that simple. Sometimes you just have to read the "how to use" instructions.

I don't pretend to understand FAA charting. If I bring up F70, for example, it doesn't have that language.
It's in the instructions for how to use the section, not in each and every airport listing,

This is really a mouthful:

ALL USERS: Airports that have Departure Procedures (DPs) designed specifically to assist pilots in avoiding obstacles during the climb to the minimum enroute altitude, and/or airports that have civil IFR takeoff minimums other than standard, are listed below. Takeoff Minimums and Departure Procedures apply to all runways unless otherwise specified. An entry may also be listed that contains only Takeoff Obstacle Notes. Altitudes, unless otherwise indicated, are minimum altitudes in MSL.

It gives me a headache.
:eek:
Take an ibuprofen :D

It just says, we only publish specifics when it's not standard. Kind of like right turns on red lights. At least in all the states I've driven through, I only see signs for when it's different than the general rule.

I'd use the "Course to Fix" rather than OBS mode (071)

View attachment 107331

Them no T airports are hard to find. After awhile of looking I had an idea. Look in the Everglades. KTNT

Back