9N AET crash in Nepal

Himayeti

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Himayeti
https://kathmandupost.com/national/2022/05/29/tara-air-flight-from-pokhara-to-jomsom-missing

I've actually taken this flight several times and the terrain becomes very unforgiving a few minutes after takeoff.

View of mountains from takeoff airport:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tnUl0emFW3CprhrJDItlAvGuWbfKbvdM/view?usp=drivesdk

VFR flight is a must. The destination airport, Jomsom, is used by climbers going to Annapurna. The flight is short but not for the faint of heart.

Check out this video of terrain. Very unforgiving.

Use all the runway much?
That takeoff is from what would have been the destination airport, at nearly 9K feet, and only 2,500 feet long. The departure airport was a couple thousand feet longer and a mile lower.

Landing at this airport, BTW is only done in the opposite direction of the takeoff video. Flights are mostly in the morning and only with light winds. Check out the mountains on approach. We have NOTHING like this in the US.

Are most of these pilots local or expats?

Local 100%. You do see expats flying some helicopters though.

Welcome to PoA. Viva Nepal!

Wow! That’s amazing. No thanks

Landing at this airport, BTW is only done in the opposite direction of the takeoff video. Flights are mostly in the morning and only with light winds. Check out the mountains on approach. We have NOTHING like this in the US.

Looks fun.!!

Or at least challenging enough for me to try it.

Seems kinda in the bad WX/CFIT type accident? One(pilots) works with percentages, what is one willing to accept? Yes I realize once up the corridors, options to turn around could be limited.

Most disturbing are the remarks in the comments section of the above article.

Where did our empathy and respect for accident victims go in this country? Ugh!
There appear to be a lot of posters in news forums that intentionally say things inflammatory in order create anger. Expect these to be Russian and Chinese government backed as a strategy of division.

I actually have thousands of hours in that airplane, the DO82.

I realize once up the corridors, options to turn around could be limited.

Can you do an Immelmann in a Twin Otter?
Joking, of course. Flying over that terrain sounds totally unforgiving

There appear to be a lot of posters in news forums that intentionally say things inflammatory in order create anger. Expect these to be Russian and Chinese government backed as a strategy of division.
I don't doubt that there probably are some foreign actors commenting here and there as you say, but I suspect that the majority of such crass commentors are home-grown. I've seen it often enough on local forums that outsiders wouldn't bother with.

Review of crashes in Nepal...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.time...lives-a-timeline/amp_articleshow/91868696.cms

Pilot error and get-home-itis are the main causes. I asked pilots there in the past why they don't use GPS waypoints, and been told that these are not accurate. Hmmm.

Frankly, too many business interests there that do not cater to a culture of safety.

Let's thank the airlines and AOPA for the safety culture in our country. .

Back