Flying glider after medical denial for anxiety

The regulation is the regulation. There are no additional specific requirements or guidance for that matter. Each enforcement decision is based on the facts of the case. It stands to reason that a doctor telling a patient that they shouldn’t fly with a medical condition is good evidence of a 61.56(b) violation, while a doc telling a patient that they are okay flying with that a medical condition would be good evidence that the pilot is not in violation of 61.56(b).

I personally think an airman would not be complying with the requirement of 61.56(b) if he or she was treated for a significant medical condition like depression and did not discuss with the doctor the potential risks of operating an aircraft under the plan of treatment. The doctor might not say yea or nay, but they should be able to help you understand the risks of operating an aircraft with the condition or the medication used to treat it. Whether the effects are obvious or not is debatable.

That would make sense your background as an AME you have higher standards. Without any real requirements, or even guidance from the FAA seems everyone treats this differently. I met a CFI glider pilot we got on the subject of medicals he said he was denied a medical because he takes ADHD meds. I wouldn't know if he had gotten a doctor to give any opinion on the matter he had been a full time glider CFI for 8 years at the time I met him which was about 4 years ago. He did most of the aerobatic glider rides at that commercial glider operation.

That would make sense your background as an AME you have higher standards. Without any real requirements, or even guidance from the FAA seems everyone treats this differently. I met a CFI glider pilot we got on the subject of medicals he said he was denied a medical because he takes ADHD meds. I wouldn't know if he had gotten a doctor to give any opinion on the matter he had been a full time glider CFI for 8 years at the time I met him which was about 4 years ago. He did most of the aerobatic glider rides at that commercial glider operation.
FWIW, I’m not an AME, not a physician at all, don’t even play one on TV. Not a lawyer either.

It’s worth mentioning that just because someone has been denied a medical is not prima facie evidence that someone has violated 61.53(b). Again, it would come down to the facts of the case.

The FAA is not conducting spot medical evaluations on pilots. Generally it’s an accident or a safety hotline complaint (typically from a family member, spouse, etc.) that causes the FAA to get involved.

So for the glider pilot in your example, unless he had a crash or a complaint from a passenger regarding a medical concern, there’s his compliance with 61.53(b) may likely never be questioned.

If however you have recieved the certified denial letter, the language is critical. "Not qualified to operate as pilot in command", in a certified letter from the agency pretty much makes your judgement as to compliance with 61.53 in applicable unless you have new information. And that is why Brad's post of earlier in this string (April 14) is so astute.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back