Lots of hours prior to instrument/commercial. Advice on how airlines will see this.

H

HonestAbe

I am a nearly 10 year private pilot who flies a few different airplanes. I’ve recently begun training toward my instrument, commercial etc in hopes for a career change to professional pilot.

In the nearly 10 years of having a private ticket, I’ve accumulated over 550hrs total time, mostly in 172, PA28 etc.

My question is how do airlines look at this? Will they question how I got so much time before even having an instrument, much less commercial and question whether or not it was legitimate? I guess I’m probably overthinking, since I figure a lot of airline hires probably got most of their numbers after they had IR, CPL, or maybe even CFI. Will I have explaining to do, or is this pretty much common place?

Will they question how I got so much time before even having an instrument, much less commercial and question whether or not it was legitimate?
That's the wrong question for you to ask. The question should be, how are you going to answer if they do ask?

Tell them what you've learned along the way. During your training, and GA flying, as well as during your previous working life. Tell them how all of that experience led you to the decision to pursue a flying career and, specifically, flying for their airline.

I would be real tempted to say you would have loved to have started flying for the airlines 10 years ago. But with the few pilots they were hiring and the peanuts they were paying at that time it made no financial sense to do so, so you opted for a more financially stable career and flying for fun. (actually one of the main reasons I never perused flying commercially beyond instructing, along with raising a family)

Actually I think are more likely to look at the kind of flying you did. Lots of cross countries may look a lot better than a lot of 30 minutes hops around the pattern. Time spent talking to ATC is probably favorable as is more instrument time. But actually I think just the fact that you have accumulated that much time fun flying will indicate you are passionate about flying as opposed to someone just looking for a career.

Brian
Not an airline pilot.
CFIIG/ASEL

That's the wrong question for you to ask. The question should be, how are you going to answer if they do ask?

Tell them what you've learned along the way. During your training, and GA flying, as well as during your previous working life. Tell them how all of that experience led you to the decision to pursue a flying career and, specifically, flying for their airline.
Yeah and I’m definitely prepared to answer any questions they have regarding it, I just don’t want it to look suspicious for whatever reason, like, “how did you accumulate so much time before ever having an instrument rating?” or seeing me go up for local flights a few times a week and accruing time and wondering if I was just padding my logbook or not (I haven’t) I just don’t know how anal airline recruiters are as to what kind of time you have or how time was gained etc.

I just don’t know how anal airline recruiters are as to what kind of time you have or how time was gained etc.
Tell them your story. Emphasize your progression from a recreational flyer to an aspirating airline pilot. Was there a flight, or several, that helped change your career focus toward aviation? Were there other pressures in your life that prevented you from pursuing an airline career sooner? Every pilot has a different story. Tell yours in a way that proactively answers any objections that you anticipate they might have. Show your building commitment to an aviation career.

Read this book ($10 in electronic format). It will show you how to do just that.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC2NZC8

A history of multiple failed checkrides is suspicious. A DUI is suspicious. 500 hours in 10 years is not suspicious.

As long as the busts were not recent or 135/121 not a big deal

DUI, as long as you can get into Canada, they won’t care.

Maybe back in 2001 that would have been a concern. And once you have a few years in a 121 I don’t think flow through will be a issue.

Hate to burst your bubble, but 550 hours isn't much, especially spread out over a decade.
The airlines would probably prefer if you had 5500.

Yeah and I’m definitely prepared to answer any questions they have regarding it, I just don’t want it to look suspicious for whatever reason, like, “how did you accumulate so much time before ever having an instrument rating?” or seeing me go up for local flights a few times a week and accruing time and wondering if I was just padding my logbook or not (I haven’t) I just don’t know how anal airline recruiters are as to what kind of time you have or how time was gained etc.
The recruiting staff are generally not dumb. The most likely question will be why did you decide to change careers or not pursue flying earlier in your life. I don’t think they will perceive any deceit in your background. My advice is stop worrying.

I am a nearly 10 year private pilot who flies a few different airplanes. I’ve recently begun training toward my instrument, commercial etc in hopes for a career change to professional pilot.

In the nearly 10 years of having a private ticket, I’ve accumulated over 550hrs total time, mostly in 172, PA28 etc.

My question is how do airlines look at this? Will they question how I got so much time before even having an instrument, much less commercial and question whether or not it was legitimate? I guess I’m probably overthinking, since I figure a lot of airline hires probably got most of their numbers after they had IR, CPL, or maybe even CFI. Will I have explaining to do, or is this pretty much common place?

They will not care or even ask about it.

550 hours is not a lot. Definitely not a lot for 10 years in.
I got my instrument 2 years ago, commercial 2 months ago, ppl almost 6 years ago. I’m real close to 800 hrs.

I would say all they really care about is if you have 1500 hours, but right now, that’s not true. It’s “will you have 1500 hours before your class day starts?”. :)

Dude.. honestly the airlines probably won’t think twice about your hours prior to your instrument/commercial tickets. I wouldn’t worry about it.. with the pilot shortage they aren’t going to debate your motivation for flying for fun prior to other ratings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back