Flight Bag Pireps

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I have a Brightline flight bag. It is the best bag I’ve owned for size & functionality. Unfortunately the zipper pulls are coming off one by one. Its an older bag but kind of surprising given brightlines reputation. I thought I’d replace it with the brightline B4 Swift https://www.brightlinebags.com/products/b4-swift-1 but I’m not a wealthy YouTuber like Bryan Turner so the price of $213 gave me some sticker shock. So I looked for some options and the Shorty’s Flight Gear iPad Bag seemed similar and was only about $75. Anyone have any Pireps on the Sportys bag?

Last edited:
When this happened to mine a while ago, I found there were hundreds if not thousands of styles of replacement zipper pulls. I considered my bag a "custom" bag after finding several different colors and styles that I liked.

I agree that it's the best bag I've owned.

I have a portable DVD player case that I use. I don't even remember where I got it. But it carries two flashlights, multitool, swiss army knife, roll on pain relief cylinder, database cards, pens, passport, checkbook, change for vending machines. it's maybe 9" x 4" x 5". No need to get something marked "aviation."

I have a Brightline flight bag. It is the best bag I’ve owned for size & functionality. Unfortunately wth thethe zipper pulls are coming off one by one. Its an older bag but kind of surprising given brightlines reputation. I thought I’d replace it with the brightline B4 Swift https://www.brightlinebags.com/products/b4-swift-1 but I’m not a wealthy YouTuber like Bryan Turner so the price of $213 gave me some sticker shock. So I looked for some options and the Shorty’s Flight Gear iPad Bag seemed similar and was only about $75. Anyone have any Pireps on the Sportys bag?
Thanks for the pirep on the zipper pull problem. I haven't had my Brightline bag long enough for them to wear out, but now I know to be gentle with them.

I have and like this one. It is pretty small but holds one headset, sunglasses in case, a water bottle, checklists, ipad (11" or mini or both) a bunch of pens, batteries, chargers and cords, plane/car keys, paperwork, etc...

71r1zTIaiwL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I rarely have someone in the right seat (my family rides in the back) but when I do, I have to bring another headset in hand. That's the only downside for me.

I have a Brightline flight bag. It is the best bag I’ve owned for size & functionality. Unfortunately the zipper pulls are coming off one by one. Its an older bag but kind of surprising given brightlines reputation. I thought I’d replace it with the brightline B4 Swift https://www.brightlinebags.com/products/b4-swift-1 but I’m not a wealthy YouTuber like Bryan Turner so the price of $213 gave me some sticker shock. So I looked for some options and the Shorty’s Flight Gear iPad Bag seemed similar and was only about $75. Anyone have any Pireps on the Sportys bag?

My pulls are coming off too, for another data point, but it's a great bag, even if pretty bulky.

My goal is to be cool like my flight instructor was: he'd handcarry his headset, his ipad, a bottle of water and a snack.

I have and like this one. It is pretty small but holds one headset, sunglasses in case, a water bottle, checklists, ipad (11" or mini or both) a bunch of pens, batteries, chargers and cords, plane/car keys, paperwork, etc...

71r1zTIaiwL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I rarely have someone in the right seat (my family rides in the back) but when I do, I have to bring another headset in hand. That's the only downside for me.
That might be a good solution for when I'm flying a Citabria.

Wife bought me a Sporty's Flight Gear bag. It's pretty nice and appears to be very well made. Haven't used it a great deal but it has plenty of compartments and the pulls look like they'll stay on for a good while.

For most of my short hops I have an older, smaller flight bag that came from AOPA. It holds a headset, logbook, sectional, snacks, and other odds and ends.

Range bags make good flight bags and are cheaper since they don't say "aviation" on them. Lots of mag pockets that are perfectly sized for USB power bricks, power cables, snacks, etc. There's also lots of other nooks and crannies to store glasses cases and cleaner, data card, and the main area is big enough for a headset.

This is holding help well so far after a couple years of use:
https://lapolicegear.com/tactical-response-bag.html

Range bags make good flight bags and are cheaper since they don't say "aviation" on them. Lots of mag pockets that are perfectly sized for USB power bricks, power cables, snacks, etc. There's also lots of other nooks and crannies to store glasses cases and cleaner, data card, and the main area is big enough for a headset.

This is holding help well so far after a couple years of use:
https://lapolicegear.com/tactical-response-bag.html
I picked up a similar bag from them for $20 almost 10 years ago, still going strong.

I simply use my Bose headset bag as the flight bag. The sleeve in the back is big enough to fit the iPad mini. The headset bag already has a slot for two replacement AA batteries

If I will be flying at night or expect to be flying at night I throw the headlamp around the bag.

You can also use your free aopa headset bag throw your headset in there and whatever else you need.

When this happened to mine a while ago, I found there were hundreds if not thousands of styles of replacement zipper pulls. I considered my bag a "custom" bag after finding several different colors and styles that I liked.

I think this may be a great solution. I ordered some of Amazon. I’ll report back how they worked./

In the event of a forced landing, it could happen!
Sounds like a CFI with whom I once chatted. He said that in the event of a forced landing, you'll wish you had the backpack rather than a flight bag. However, I didn't think to ask whether he was speaking from experience.

I went Brightline crazy for a while, getting add-ins. The result is I have two Brightline bags now. Since I'm a club member/renter/borrower, one sits in the trunk of my car with accessories like portable tablet mounts. I just pull out the one I need and leave everything else in the car. The other is rarely used. My day to day flight bag is the freebie from AOPA.

My 2014 Brightline is still in great condition minus the large attachment zipper being torn partly off the bottom due to user error.

I use a small Datsusara duffel bag after my 20 years old small generic duffel failed. Used a backpack for a while and liked that set up too. Y'all gonna laugh but I sometimes use a big fanny pack that can fit a mini survival kit, water bottle, iPad and other stuff on long trips. It has a wide strap that acts like a back support for comfort.

I haven’t used a flight bag in years. I admit when I did use a flight bag it turned into an addiction, always trying something new, never really satisfied until I found the sky high bag.
0254BB0C-DA6C-40CD-A784-D3C4606E64DA.jpeg
Since we have our own plane everything stays in it, in the hangar. The only bag I carry now is for my video equipment and my iPad slips in one of the pockets.
CADeN Camera Bag Case
F5E8F32C-4F6E-4990-A683-7BAC56022825.jpeg
2BA4606F-83CE-406D-B85E-C71E0D70DE45.jpeg

Last edited:

Lon Stratton. Thank you!! I’m happy to report this was an excellent solution. For $6.99 I purchased a packet of replacement zipper pulls on Amazon. They installed easily and worked great. So a $6.99 purchase beats a $213 replacement. Love my brightline and its replacement zipper pulls!

Only thing portable DVD players are used for is IEDs. We all know this
That would explain having the bag without the device.

I still have my old Jeppesen leather pilot case, but since the '80s, I have used whatever cheap luggage handbag I get for free...

View attachment 107189
I still have one of them too. It is filled with ancient paper maps, rulers and a knee board, everything from an era when ipads and gps did not exist. I am now part of the backpack crowd, and quite happy with the change.

I used to carry all my work stuff in a backpack, worked awesome. New job says that pilots can't wear a backpack in uniform, so I need to figure out another solution. Bought a brightline, and while its a really good bag, I just don't like it (cheap plug, its for sale in the classifieds section). A Contrail 390P looks perfect for what I want to do, but its out of stock and the company isn't responding to emails. So I'm not sure what I am going to use once I hit the line. I'll just use my old laptop bag while I am in training.

I used to carry all my work stuff in a backpack, worked awesome. New job says that pilots can't wear a backpack in uniform, so I need to figure out another solution. Bought a brightline, and while its a really good bag, I just don't like it (cheap plug, its for sale in the classifieds section). A Contrail 390P looks perfect for what I want to do, but its out of stock and the company isn't responding to emails. So I'm not sure what I am going to use once I hit the line. I'll just use my old laptop bag while I am in training.

You going to a 121? Both of my 121s had a uniform/luggage deal with one of the major outfitters. I’d just pick up their cheapest bag until the one you want is available again.

I had a Jepp Case and hated it as the massive thing was heavy to lug around.

See if you’d FOM is negative backpack or negative wearing a backpack. I’m guessing it’s just against wearing one. I’ve seen multitudes of major guys with a black backpack that is hanging on their crew bag case hook or off the handles.

You going to a 121? Both of my 121s had a uniform/luggage deal with one of the major outfitters. I’d just pick up their cheapest bag until the one you want is available again.

I had a Jepp Case and hated it as the massive thing was heavy to lug around.

See if you’d FOM is negative backpack or negative wearing a backpack. I’m guessing it’s just against wearing one. I’ve seen multitudes of major guys with a black backpack that is hanging on their crew bag case hook or off the handles.

Yes to a 121. That is what I was thinking too, there is a store at the training center with pilot supplies in it including bags.

I'm not on property yet, so I know its no wearing one, not sure about carrying one. Something to look into for sure.

I have a small duffel that was a gift from work for some reason that works well. I put my old (small) flight school bag inside the duffel bag then a couple pairs of headsets and all the other gear... Works well. and it was Free-ninety-nine. Which is nice.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Sporty's bag and an old AOPA pilot bag that I use. But in case of emergency I can also use one of the pieces of our matched luggage set:
proxy-image

Had a bag where the zipper itself broke. For $20 at a dry cleaner / alterations store they sewed in replacement.

Back