“single engine Cessna” down at Show Low (SOW)

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
News has a report of the pilot's name. FAA database shows student pilot cert from 10/2020. Flightaware tracks from ~10 days ago look consistent with checkride prep/checkride maneuvers. So sad, RIP.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/05/cessna-172f-skyhawk-n5532r-fatal.html

Someone also posted a link to the ADSB ground track. They never got more than 100 feet off the ground. Looks they took off 24 and were attempting to come around for runway 3. Every ADSB ping reports 6200'. FE elevation is 6,416'. Not sure what the discrepancy is about (FE vs ADSB).

One commentor stated two ocupants were "heavy" and they had full fuel.

According to wunderground, temps were about 67F at the time of the crash. Winds were out of the north at about 7 mph gusting to 22 mph. Density altitude was probably around 8500'.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?ica...26&zoom=14.7&showTrace=2022-05-26&trackLabels

The ADSB data sugests that they attempted to take off, and then aborted, then taxied back for another attempt. You can tell if you look at the time stamps of each ADSB report.

My sister works very close to the site of this crash. She has a friend who's father died in a plane crash a while back in the Payson AZ area. Whenever there is a plane crash in the mountainous north of AZ, she always reaches out to me about it.

RIP to the deceased.

My wife's flight instructor always made students fly a 172 loaded up to gross at least once in their training. Most of their training is way light (just the instructor and student and sometimes not even full fuel) and the first thing they're likely to do after they get their ticket is to load three buddies in the plane and head out "at" gross.

I should point out that I know all this because one day Buzz grabs me and Margy to play ballast for a stage check on someone else's student. The pilot decides to try to demonstrate a departure stall on departure. I feel the nose coming way up and I grab on to Margy. This is when I hear what I describe as the "CFI death scream" as he's pushing hard to get the nose down against the student's pull and yelling "If you drop this thing on its tail, we're all gonna die."

My wife's flight instructor always made students fly a 172 loaded up to gross at least once in their training. Most of their training is way light (just the instructor and student and sometimes not even full fuel) and the first thing they're likely to do after they get their ticket is to load three buddies in the plane and head out "at" gross.
My instructor did the same at Centennial on a June day. 2 students and CFI taking off on 35 @ KAPA. It has an electric sign with current DA at the ramp entrance. ground 5800, DA sign has been known to show 9600…..

On May 25, 2022, about 1750 mountain standard time, a Cessna C-172F airplane, N5532P, was
substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Show Low, Arizona. The pilot
and passenger were fatally injured. The airplane was as operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal
Regulations (CFR) Part 91 personal flight.
Witnesses at Show Low Regional Airport (SOW) observed the airplane attempt a takeoff from
runway 25. They stated the airplane became airborne two or three times but did not climb out
of ground effect. The airplane touched down as it approached the end of the runway and was
observed as “getting squirrely” and sliding sideways. The pilot then taxied back to the
approach end of runway 25 and performed a run-up before attempting a second takeoff. Two of
the witnesses stated the engine was “sputtering” and did not sound right on the first takeoff
and when it taxied back to the run-up area. The pilot then attempted a second takeoff. A pilot
witness said the pilot “milked it off the runway, set it back down, and milked it off the runway
again.” The airplane remained at a low altitude and began a left turn towards downwind.
When the airplane reached a downwind heading, the airplane sank out of sight behind terrain.
The pilot witness said the engine “sounded rich, like it was bogged down,” during the second
takeoff. The airplane impacted a stream in an open field about 1 mile southwest of the
departure end of runway 25. The airplane was substantially damaged.
A postaccident examination of the airplane’s engine revealed that the No. 4 cylinder exhaust
valve was seized, in the open position. The engine and No. 4 cylinder were retained for further
examination.

Two guys from a Phoenix area construction company…. One had recently moved to AZ from WI (the pilot).

Word on the street is that they went up there for a work meeting… without specifically mentioning their mode of transport…

Why would the pilot continue to try and take off with what appears to be an engine problem and 8900 DA. Am I missing something here?

I think even without knowing much about airplanes if I'm a passenger on that first attempt ,,, I ain't on the second one.

A stuck open exhaust valve on an O-300 is an accident waiting to happen. It should have been obvious during his runup.

A stuck open exhaust valve on an O-300 is an accident waiting to happen. It should have been obvious during his runup.
I am trying to learn something here. How would I not miss an open exhaust valve?
Rough running?
Bigger mag drop?
Not making maximum RPM? Run up at 1800 RPM wouldn't tell.
CHT lower, EGT higher? Unlikely had the probes to tell.
What else?
Thanks

I am trying to learn something here. How would I not miss an open exhaust valve?
Rough running?
Bigger mag drop?
Not making maximum RPM? Run up at 1800 RPM wouldn't tell.
CHT lower, EGT higher? Unlikely had the probes to tell.
What else?
Thanks
I think you answered your own question. Although you may not have immediately diagnosed the problem, you probably would not have tried to depart with a rough-running engine.

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/dealing-with-stuck-valves/

https://www.euroga.org/forums/maint...coming-360-stuck-exhaust-valve-lesson-learned

"C'mon baby, one more bounce and we got it!"
thats-what-she-said-what-she-said.gif

Back