Question for mono vision pilots

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I lost vision in my right eye in 2020. Over the past 9 months I have been relearning how to land. I had my FR signed off after spending a several hours with a CFI relearning how to land with the loss of depth perception.

My question to other mono vision pilots is what do you do to compensate for the loss of depth perception?

What I do is set up decent rate with the plane set at the proper attitude, slightly nose high. Maintain the decent rate and add or take power away till the wheels touch. Not a lot of flare. I hold the plane off the runway with power and slowly reduce power.

What is your technique for landing with no depth perception?

Bill B

I wish I could help you. I lost vision in my left eye at 15. Got my pilots license at 38. By then I guess that I just… adjusted. I don’t know any tricks since landing with mono vision is all I know.

But I’m confident you’ll figure it out.

The best part of learning to fly with Night Vision Goggles (NVG) is understanding the limitations of Depth perception and distance estimation. Taking advantage of several Monocular Cues and learning more effective scanning techniques can make flying with monocular vision so much easier.

Here is an excerpt from The US Army TC-204, Night Flight:

DISTANCE ESTIMATION AND DEPTH PERCEPTION (TC 1-204)

A knowledge of distance estimation and depth perception mechanisms and cues will assist crew members in judging distances at night. These cues may be monocular or
binocular. Monocular cues are more important for crew members than binocular cues.

a. Monocular Cues. The monocular cues that aid in distance estimation and depth perception include motion parallax, geometric perspective, retinal image size, and
aerial perspective. (GRAM)

(1) Geometric perspective. An object may appear to have a different shape when viewed at varying distances and from different angles. Geometric perspective cues
include linear perspective, apparent foreshortening, and vertical position in the field.
(a) Linear perspective. Parallel lines, such as runway lights, tend to converge as distance from the observer increases.
(b) Apparent foreshortening. The true shape of an object or a terrain feature appears elliptical when viewed from a distance.
(c) Vertical position in the field. Objects or terrain features farther away from the observer appear higher on the horizon than those closer to the observer.

(2) Retinal image size. The brain perceives the actual size of an object from the size of an image focused on the retina.
(a) Known size of objects. By experience, the brain learns to estimate the distance of familiar objects by the size of their retinal images.
(b) Increasing or decreasing size of objects. If the retinal image size of an object increases, the relative distance is decreasing. If the image size
decreases, the relative distance is increasing. If the image size is constant, the object is at a fixed relative distance.
(c) Terrestrial associations. Comparing an object, such as an airfield, with an object of known size, such as a helicopter, helps to determine the object's
size and apparent distance from the observer.
(d) Overlapping contours or interposition of objects. When objects overlap, the overlapped object is farther away.

(3) Aerial perspective. The clarity of an object and the shadow cast by it are perceived by the brain and are cues for estimating distance.
(a) Variations in color or shade. Subtle variations in color or shade are clearer the closer the observer is to an object. However, as distance increases, these
distinctions blur.
(b) Loss of detail or texture. As a person gets farther from an object, discrete details become less apparent.
(c) Position of light source and direction of shadow. Every object will cast a shadow from a light source. The direction in which the shadow is cast depends
on the position of the light source. If the shadow of an object is toward the observer, the object is closer than the light source is to the observer.

(4) Motion parallax. Motion parallax refers to the apparent motion of stationary objects as viewed by an observer moving across the landscape. When the crew
member looks outside the aircraft, perpendicular to the direction of travel, near objects appear to move backward, past, or opposite the path of motion. Far objects
seem to move in the direction of motion or remain fixed. The rate of apparent movement depends on the distance the observer is from the object.

I hope this helps. I use it every day, not just when flying!

Have you read Stick and Rudder lately? It contains a discussion about how normal depth perception doesn't work for pilots in airplanes because the distances are longer. He goes on to explain how to use other visual clues to create depth, with drawings to illustrate his points.

TC-1-204 was the Bible for some of us for years flying in some Army Units but really does lay out that you can replace visual cues to fly mono vision

Having lived most of my life with monocular vision, I can't help much since I never had a transition period. I tend to agree with Pete, though, in that the distances while flying and landing are usually so far that depth perception isn't an issue. During flare, one is usually looking far, far down the runway for that and binocular depth perception doesn't come into play. For me, it's always been the sight picture.

Oddly enough, the FAA evaluator during the flight test for my waiver didn't seem to understand the issue, either. He kept referring to things a mile or so away and asking whether I saw them.

I have had some minor issues taxiing... knocking over garbage cans with a wingtip, etc. Solution there is more caution. I fly a small homebuilt with rigid landing gear... no flexibility or shock absorbing capability other than the tires themselves. Yet depth perception hasn't been the issue for the ~35 years I've been flying this type of aircraft.

My problem was mismatched vision... 20/15 on the left eye, 20/400 on the right. Glasses didn't help, since the corrective lens reduced the size of everything on the "bad" eye. About four years ago, my "bad" eye had developed cataracts so I got a lens replacement. Ended up improving its vision so much that it's now better than the other one (which has slipped from the 20/15 over the years to about 20/40). I *kinda* got depth perception back, but my brain still hasn't figured out what to do with it.

Ron Wanttaja

Slight deviation from the OP - Like Ron, my right eye is good, but left is near sighted. I wear one contact lens on the left to correct without image size distortion, which equalized both eyes for distance. And I wear progressive bifocals over that (most of the time) for reading and PC work.

Back to the OP - I know several "older" people who have one eye set for near and the other for distance so they don't need readers. You might reach out to that population to see how they deal with loss of depth perception.

Flight sims are 2D, and most people adapt readily to those. Might provide some clues on replacing depth perception with sight picture and geometric relationships.

I lost vision in my right eye in 2020. Over the past 9 months I have been relearning how to land. I had my FR signed off after spending a several hours with a CFI relearning how to land with the loss of depth perception.

My question to other mono vision pilots is what do you do to compensate for the loss of depth perception?

What I do is set up decent rate with the plane set at the proper attitude, slightly nose high. Maintain the decent rate and add or take power away till the wheels touch. Not a lot of flare. I hold the plane off the runway with power and slowly reduce power.

What is your technique for landing with no depth perception?

Bill B
If you can put up with his corny jokes, Rod Machado teaches a runway expansion cue technique, should work fine for monoucular I would think.

Might help. I had kind of a depth perception problem when I was first learning to land. As luck(bad) would have it, I got my first set of glasses in my life when I was a student pilot and trying to learn to land. My prescription had astigmatism correction so the shape of circles was distorted and hard for me to adjust to for a bit. It also made it hard to judge height, even when I was walking with glasses on it felt like the ground was in the wrong place. I got used to it eventually, now if I take them off, everything seems short.

Just for reference 100% of AH-64 pilots fly with mono vision at night…it’s comes with time and a little retraining of the brain…sort of like us old guys transition from bifocals to Invisalign glasses…it will come!

Back