Recommendations for wash & wax near NY?

robottwo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RobotTwo
Looking for recommendations! I don’t mind flying up to an hour or so out of KFRG for a reasonable place to clean my plane — gives me a good excuse to fly, and quotes on the field are crazy.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you being quoted? Is doing it yourself an option?

$650.

Doing it myself is an option, but I’d much rather find someone I can take it to every 6 months or so.

Yeah exactly. That’s crazy.

How many hours do you think it would take?
Wash and wax?

I think 650 is fair. I bet it takes a full day plus materials.
I just bought a gallon of aero glaze for my plane, $129.00 just for the glaze.

I do my own on a 172…and it is a lot of work.
Larger plane?…

How many hours do you think it would take?
Wash and wax?

I think 650 is fair. I bet it takes a full day plus materials.
I just bought a gallon of aero glaze for my plane, $129.00 just for the glaze.

I do my own on a 172…and it is a lot of work.
Larger plane?…

Gary I was told to use aero glaze and ploy glide on the paint. How did you apply them? Looking to do it by hand if possible?

OP, I am based out of HWV and used the Wash Wax All kit to clean my plane as its a waterless wash... came out okay for now. What kind of plane do you have?

I got quoted over $1,000 for my 182 in the DC area. $650 sounds pretty fair.

I have used Wash and Wax above for bug removal and it works fine but does not leave a very good glaze. It cost less than 1/2 as much as Aeroglaze so it is a decent product for bug removal. I have to say Washand Wax All is ok but I have used much better products on cars...waterless car wash that leaves a better glaze afterwards.

I would not use it for a overall glaze job.

I tried it because the Aeroglaze has gotten expensive lately and is thicker thus making it harder to spray on to clean bugs off. The sprayer get's clogged up, but it really isn't made to be sprayed I don't think? I have spraying it for 4 years now with 4 different types of sprayers with very good end results, they all get clogged eventually with aeroglaze though. I have used about 5 gallons of it in the past. I just bought 2 gallons of it last month, $129. a gallon!! Plan to do my buddies Arrow soon.
Aeroglaze is much better stuff I am here to say for overall glaze. It is made to be put on with a sponge and left to dry. Then buffed off by hand or a polisher. Or you can leave it on for protection and not remove the heavy at all.

I highly recommend Aeroglaze for the paint on your plane. I am not sure what poly glide is? Don't think I have ever used it?

Last edited:
I have used much better products on cars...waterless car wash that leaves a better glaze afterwards.

This stuff is the bomb, but is very expensive. I have been using it for over 20 years on race and show cars. It is not in it's original bottle. I shake it and spray it. Stuff comes in a mother bottle and it's own little refillable spray bottle. I like larger less messing around refilling small bottles. Wipes off great with the perfect amount of lube and cleaner and leaves a great glaze.
IMG_1734.JPG

Last edited:
Find local HS kids interested in aviation. Pay a fair wage then take then flying.

Gary sportys is half the cost for Aero glaze compared to spruce. I just paid $72 for a gallon including shipping. Looks like poly glide is another polish so Ill give aero glaze a shot first to see how it comes out. Do you add wax on top of aero glaze?

Gary sportys is half the cost for Aero glaze compared to spruce. I just paid $72 for a gallon including shipping. Looks like poly glide is another polish so Ill give aero glaze a shot first to see how it comes out. Do you add wax on top of aero glaze?
No wax over the glaze for me.
Wow thanks for the heads up on Sportys price on Aero glaze. I was just there last Tuesday a week ago. I saw it sitting there but did not look at the price, wow. Thanks Nick! Stupid me, I bought 2 to get free shipping, I am going to try to return them.

I asked this very question to the manufacturer of Aeroglaze and Polyglide several years ago. They said there is no point to adding Polyglide over Aeroglaze. They market Polyglide to those that wet wash.

Wow, crazy prices. I use CAVU at least once a year. Ivan washes the plane, uses a cleaner product then follows up with a wax. He spends the day at the hangar and does an excellent job . I think 3 Tango Charlie’s last spa day was around $450 but I would have to go look it up. [edit for the correct price]

Here is a link to show his work on my commander.

Last edited:

I ordered a couple gallons from Sportys at half the cost and there is a catch.
It is not the same density, it is a diluted down version from the same company and is still great stuff.
The vapor pressure is not the same on the labels.
I have 2 gallons from Spruce sitting here and 2 gallons from Sportys.
The gallons from Spruce weigh a half pound more than the ones from Sportys. Hence the price difference.

I feel the stuff from Sportys is thinner would be better for the way I was using it. Probably sprays on better on leading edges for bug removal and hopefully leave a nice glaze like the thick stuff does. The thick stuff was always plugging up sprayers after a short time. Week or so.

The thick higher dollar glaze no doubt is better for a overall glaze job.

One of those gallons are for my buddy, I'll let him decide which one he wants to use and I will use the rest. Going to use the thinner in a spray bottle for leading edge bug removal and hopefully won't plug up so easy.

The thick stuff will be applied with a sponge and let dry. Then wipe off with a clean towel. Surface becomes so slick that the towel won't stay on the wing. lol
IMG_1746.JPG

Here's my buddies Arrow, I took this crappy picture a couple weeks ago at sunset. We are going to glaze this beauty soon.
IMG_E1726.JPG

Last edited:
Gary that's frustrating. Sportys should at least advertise that.... That's not right. Thanks for the heads up

The funny thing is $650-$1,000 is ok for a full day of cleaning, but a good annual had better not cost more than $1,000 or it’s a total ripoff:)

Back