Anyone here own a Swift?

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
I just picked up a 1946 GC-1B project to keep me occupied in retirement. I've always had a secret desire to own a Swift even though I've never flown in one. My intention is to restore it as original with the C-125 and polished skins. Maybe Oshkosh 2025.

Let's hear some stories.

Those are some NICE sweeeeet birds :)

A bud has one in his garage for years. Van is in hangar.

He says they have a few nasty characteristics. Best get someone familiar with the type check you out.

I just picked up a 1946 GC-1B project to keep me occupied in retirement. I've always had a secret desire to own a Swift even though I've never flown in one. My intention is to restore it as original with the C-125 and polished skins. Maybe Oshkosh 2025.

Let's hear some stories.
I started lusting after the Swift when I saw an aerobatic routine by a stock swift at Oshkosh back in the late ‘70s or early ‘80s.

the Swift was one of the finalists when I was looking to buy my first airplane, but I decided retractable gear and controllable prop weren’t something I wanted to mess with on my first airplane.

Pretty planes. Nothing else to add

Once you see one up close, it's hard to not dream about owning one.

My Dad had a 145HP back in the late 70's that I got around 125 hours in. Ours did not have a steerable tailwheel and was sporty in crosswinds but very fun to fly. We flew it to Oshkosh once just using an ADF and sectionals, VOR did not work, from the Dallas area. Sadly, it was destroyed in a storm, along with our Twin Navion and hangar. The Swift was disassembled, and we never found one of the wings. That was in Ennis, TX early 80's.

Another thread reminded me of a fun story.

I used to work with a guy who had North Central DC-3s fly over his farm every day on the Sioux Falls-Minneapolis run. He had a Swift at the time, and occasionally would go flying so as to be a couple thousand feet above their flight path. He dive down to build speed, wave as he passed them, and pull back up.:D

I was lusting over a Super Swift that was for sale recently on TaP. Haven't looked to see if it's still there.

I think I still have a Swift, I haven't seen it since December! Picked the perfect year to get the engine overhauled. Mine is polished with an O-300, big tires up front and small nonsteerable tailwheel so seeing over the nose can be interesting at times. I bought mine without ever having flown one either! I spent a few hours with a local instructor brushing up on wheel landings in another plane, then a day with an instructor with a lot of Swift experience in mine. Good luck with the polishing, I spent days before Oshkosh a few years ago going over it with 2 polishers (orbital and cyclo) and 5 grades of Nuvite. It looked stunning sitting in front of the hangar. Then I go to Oshkosh and get parked next to one of the fully restored ones and wonder why did I waste my time. :eek:

We’ve had a few Globe Swift fly in at our airport. Most of them have been modified with considerably horsepower than new.

On a personal note, right after WWII, my Dad, a Navy Vet was trying to find his way back into the civilian work force and worked at the TEMCO plant in Grand Prairie building these planes. He loved the planes but hated the work. I have the tools he used and have considered contacting the Swift museum to see if they have any interest in having them as a donation.

I think I still have a Swift, I haven't seen it since December! Picked the perfect year to get the engine overhauled. Mine is polished with an O-300....
Who's doing the O300 overhaul and what issues have you encountered so far?

Let's hear some stories.
Need pictures!

Back