What is your daily use car

Sorry silvaire, 2010 Prius for longer trip average 47mpg, also a 2012 Toyota Siena for moving the whole family ( 5 and dog). And a 2010 i135 conv BMW with 5 speed as a toy.

2013 Tesla Model S P85 here - same 3 reasons.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R coupe in Italian Racing Red

Supercharged V8 with 550HP. A little overkill for commuting, but even when I'm stuck in traffic, it still feels fast :)

2015 Jaguar F-Type R coupe in Italian Racing Red

Supercharged V8 with 550HP. A little overkill for commuting, but even when I'm stuck in traffic, it still feels fast :)

Wow. I'm impressed. That is a beautiful car, and I bet a blast to drive. Tiptronic?

2002 LandCruiser. Always loved LandCruisers. 130k miles. everything works and gives me zero worries that it wont start everyday. But it does have somewhat of a gasoline drinking problem...

A lot of pilots get their need for speed satisfied in a real airplane, and choose to drive something practical. They don't have to pretend they're flying when they're driving.

All of the "Professional-driver-closed-course-do-not-attempt" TV ads notwithstanding, in most cases all a fast and expensive car gets you is a few car lengths further ahead in the traffic jam on the 405 (maybe), and an insurance bill that eats into your avgas budget. With a fast airplane, on the other hand, you actually get to go fast.

Agreed.

However, in my experience, many pilots are speed-junkies and flying an airplane at altitude does not exactly satisfy that much (unless you are Maverick and get to buzz the tower).
I fit into this category. Flying 100+ kts at altitude does not feel fast. However, driving a sporty convertible 100+ mph on an open road under controlled circumstances (kids, don't try this at home) feels much faster. But then again, I might be biased, I love speed. :goofy:

Wow. I'm impressed. That is a beautiful car, and I bet a blast to drive. Tiptronic?

Thanks! Very fun to drive, I'm sure one of the local constables will eventually want to have a chat with me :)

It's got a ZF 8-speed auto, which isn't quite as sophisticated as a dual clutch like Porsche's PDF. But the shifts are really fast. I want to take it to Laguna Seca and do high performance driving event and see what it'll do on the track.

A lot of pilots get their need for speed satisfied in a real airplane, and choose to drive something practical. They don't have to pretend they're flying when they're driving.

All of the "Professional-driver-closed-course-do-not-attempt" TV ads notwithstanding, in most cases all a fast and expensive car gets you is a few car lengths further ahead in the traffic jam on the 405 (maybe), and an insurance bill that eats into your avgas budget. With a fast airplane, on the other hand, you actually get to go fast.

My insurance on the C5 is within 5-10% of what it is on the Colorado. ~$900/yr each.

Last edited:
It's got a ZF 8-speed auto, which isn't quite as sophisticated as a dual clutch like Porsche's PDF. But the shifts are really fast. I want to take it to Laguna Seca and do high performance driving event and see what it'll do on the track.

Think you meant PDK? prolly. Here's a dirty little secret. Shhhhhh. ZF has been making the guts of the PDK trans, with Porsche putting their dual clutch in front since around 09. So, it's a mishmash of ZF gears, housing and pump with a PDK front(or rear in Porsche-speak, as it were).

ZF 7DT-xx from 09-11 on several models of Carrera, but I don't know the exact mix.

1998 Buick that has been totaled. The AC works as does the heat. It may not look the best but gets 25 mpg and does not break down. I will drive it until it starts nickel and dimming us. Until then we drive a piece of sh#t car. But costs pennies to drive. No car payments.

Nissan leaf for daily driver, camry hybrid for anything longer than 80 miles. No, I don't live in Portland.

Nissan leaf for daily driver, camry hybrid for anything longer than 80 miles. No, I don't live in Portland.

Captured for posterity. :rofl:

J/K. my wife was looking at a Leaf for her commute and daily use. We figured it out, and with the AC on high and using the lights in the early morning, she would run out of batt about 1-2 miles from returning home.

Yep 7 pages just shows we are a bunch of gear heads.

Nah, it just shows that the OP picked a topic that is easy for everyone to post something different without looking like a doofus.

It's the perfect topic for a harmless lowest-common-denominator thread.

Technically I 'own' two Priuses, or Priui or whatever. I gave my kids each a Prius C when the graduated college. This downturn in gas price is wreaking havoc with my ROI on the premium I paid for the hybrid battery. My payback/breakeven is going further away.

Technically I 'own' two Priuses, or Priui or whatever. I gave my kids each a Prius C when the graduated college. This downturn in gas price is wreaking havoc with my ROI on the premium I paid for the hybrid battery. My payback/breakeven is going further away.

Would John Wayne drive a Prius? :D

Please turn in your man card, cowboy hat, Texas residence card, gun, etc at the nearest ***** station.

Would John Wayne drive a Prius? :D

Please turn in your man card, cowboy hat, Texas residence card, gun, etc at the nearest ***** station.

Prolly not.

Yup - 'zactly. :D:thumbsup:

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I bought it used when it was 9 month old with a black exterior with camel color leather. Now it has 219,000 miles on it and has rust on black exterior and well worn camel colored leather.

I have been watching my fuel rates ever since you recommended a C to me. I couldn't make the numbers work. But the C was the right call if the prices had stayed high. Interestingly it only losses by about $5000 a year or so over the timeframe I figured it would survive the roads out here, not including higher insurance rates, which I didn't get quoted.

I have been watching my fuel rates ever since you recommended a C to me. I couldn't make the numbers work. But the C was the right call if the prices had stayed high. Interestingly it only losses by about $5000 a year or so over the timeframe I figured it would survive the roads out here, not including higher insurance rates, which I didn't get quoted.

Yeah, I guessed back in 13 that gas would stabilize or rise with CPI pretty close. At that, the payback was barely in the plus at 12 years, and 200k miles. I stopped figuring the payback now. Sunk cost.

Lucky for me, both kids love their cars. I have to say, they've been remarkably fine autos notwithstanding the added cost of the battery and hybrid stuff. I'd prolly/maybe do the same again.

I got them matching pearl Orange pumpkin color. Had to special order them, heheee.

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Prius-C-21.jpg

2006 Jetta TDI
2001 Subaru Legacy Outback

Suzuki GS850G. Probably the most reliable, trouble free machine on two wheels ever made.

I use a car if I have to carry something large or travel further than 50 miles. For daily driving a motorcycle makes far more sense than a car. Mobility (lane splitting with backed-up traffic), parking (always easy and quick), economy of operation, insurance & licensing - plus getting on a bike just automatically wakens my lizard brain. You can't drive a bike half asleep and survive very long. The situational awareness necessary to survive long-term on a bike is good for the senses. It's easy in a car to drive around brain-dead. Just notice how long it takes (at least 50% of the time) the clown in the car stopped at the stop light (with cars waiting behind) to react to the fact the light has changed. Pilots are probably not guilty of this absence of attention when driving, but the driving behaviors of most car/truck drivers is pathetic. Using a bike is a good antidote.

I have a sedan, and it's a manual. My Wrangler is a manual too. Autos are just too boring.
My latest S4 has an "automated manual" (dual clutch direct shift) transmission. This is the first car I've owned without a clutch pedal since the Ford Galaxy 500 I had in school (parents "helped" pick that one). Everything I read said the DSG offered better performance than the 6 speed so I thought I'd give it a try. I do miss the entertainment of a true manual shifter but thre are times when it's nice to leave my left foot on the footrest.

The DSG even has a "launch mode" which I've only tried a couple times. You floor the accelerator with a foot on the brake and the ECU holds the RPM at something like 4000. When you release the brake the computer dumps the clutch and it feels like my expectation of a cat shot (granted it's hardly more than 1G). In any case it definitely shifts much faster than I could ever manage by hand and I'm getting around 30 MPG at 80 mph on long freeway trips. Seems pretty good to me for a car with sub 5 second 0-60 times.

Now I have to decide whether or not to chip it (stage 1 adds about 80 HP). This car comes with a 100k powertrain warranty and chipping might queer that.

I was looking at the CTS-V wagon in red. Not many made, but that thing goes like stink, and they are pretty useful. Not a fan of GM autos but those are pretty neat. I drove a CTS wagon and was quite impressed.

They'd made manual Vs :) not too common though, esp in wagon

My latest S4 has an "automated manual" (dual clutch direct shift) transmission. This is the first car I've owned without a clutch pedal since the Ford Galaxy 500 I had in school (parents "helped" pick that one). Everything I read said the DSG offered better performance than the 6 speed so I thought I'd give it a try. I do miss the entertainment of a true manual shifter but thre are times when it's nice to leave my left foot on the footrest.

The DSG even has a "launch mode" which I've only tried a couple times. You floor the accelerator with a foot on the brake and the ECU holds the RPM at something like 4000. When you release the brake the computer dumps the clutch and it feels like my expectation of a cat shot (granted it's hardly more than 1G). In any case it definitely shifts much faster than I could ever manage by hand and I'm getting around 30 MPG at 80 mph on long freeway trips. Seems pretty good to me for a car with sub 5 second 0-60 times.

Now I have to decide whether or not to chip it (stage 1 adds about 80 HP). This car comes with a 100k powertrain warranty and chipping might queer that.

DSG/PDK is better than manual in pretty much all performance aspects. Except it's still not as much fun and $$$$.

Watch out for chipping and Audis, that warranty is a toast if they see car chipped, and they can see it. (I used to have S4, chipped on spare ECU)

DSG/PDK is better than manual in pretty much all performance aspects. Except it's still not as much fun and $$$$.

Watch out for chipping and Audis, that warranty is a toast if they see car chipped, and they can see it. (I used to have S4, chipped on spare ECU)

S-tronic gear changes happen in 0.1 seconds giving super smooth shifts and no energy "loss".

Definitely don't chip the car, it's built to a standard for a reason and that reason is reliability and redundancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-tronic gear changes happen in 0.1 seconds giving super smooth shifts and no energy "loss".

Definitely don't chip the car, it's built to a standard for a reason and that reason is reliability and redundancy.

Gotta ask: What redundancy?

As far as chipping. What you are doing is remapping ECU and bumping up the boost(on the turbo cars). With Audi/VW, the stock boost is very conservative. My B5 S4 had 0.6 bar which you could safely take to 1 bar for 75hp/100lbft bump. You can do a small bump with very little danger to reliability and considerable hp increase. This is why these(and all other turbo) engines are so popular with tuners. Just don't over-do it and pay attention to heat. At least this was the case when I had an Audi.

Modern engines are very reliable and over-engineered.

2010 BMW X5 diesel with 130k miles. Drives and looks like new
ad783fc979128aa569b88f708fd80e60.jpg

A 2012 Honda Accord, and 2014 Ford F150. The Honda has twice as many miles on it, but both have been good and reliable.

Back