Best single-seat aircraft

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
While I would prefer being able to carry a passenger, it seems that single-seaters are more affordable. What are some single-seaters that still have decent cruise speed/ x-country performance (130+ kt)? There are loads of ultralight aircraft, but almost all of them are too slow.

Of course there’s the RV 3.

There’s also the Panther. https://www.kitplanes.com/the-panther/
I
’m not sure how much space the cockpit has compared to the RV 3 (I’ve read it can be pretty tight for taller pilots). It seems to be a bit roomier.

There’s also the Rapture Bug. https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/37700-the-rapture-aircraft-turbine-bug/
T
he same designer of the 200 hp Turbaero turboprop engine also designed this aircraft. He says it’ll cruise 170 kts if powered by a Rotax 912, or 240 kts with the turboprop (I’d rather have the Rotax). This aircraft is not available just yet, but it looks promising.

There’s also the Sonex single-seat (I believe it’s called the Onex or Waiex, can’t remember), and the Merlin PSA, but they’d also be a little on the slow side.

Mooney M-18
Quickie Q1
Bede BD-5
Cri Cri
Pitts S1 (or am of the aerobatic monoplanes)
Taylor Mini-imp

Good luck finding most of these, but they’re all pretty cool planes, though I think they’re mostly closer to 85-110mph than 130kts.

You also have to think about load carrying & range. A 100 kt plane with long legs will often be faster chock-to-chock than a speedster that has to stop every 150 miles. And a two-place plane will usually allow a more flexible flight profile, more fuel in place of a passenger. Or shorter legs but two people.

I vote for the SPA Panther ... lot of great features!

For 130kts cruise and cross-country capabilities, I think you'll find a well built RV-4 is gonna be just about the same price as that RV-3. And, it'll probably be easier to find one for sale.

I know where there's a 0 hour Onex for sale.

One factor to consider: The resale market isn't as good for single-seat homebuilts. Just about everyone wants the ability to carry a passenger, and frets about the difficulty of getting a checkout.

You're better off getting a cramped two-seater and flying it solo.

Ron Wanttaja

One factor to consider: The resale market isn't as good for single-seat homebuilts. Just about everyone wants the ability to carry a passenger, and frets about the difficulty of getting a checkout.

You're better off getting a cramped two-seater and flying it solo.

Ron Wanttaja

I agree and if the OP has the funds for a few of the singles that have been mentioned then a two seater isn't going to add that much more. The passenger room is nice for a passenger or for more gear if you're traveling alone and plan to take camping or sporting gear.

Dana makes an excellent point about getting your flight reviews in your own plane.

Back