tailBeaconX and AV-30C

Planepilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Planepilot
My attitude indicator has rolled over and died. I don’t have ADSB out. I have an old Narco transponder. With a tailBeaconX and a AV-30C it looks like I can kill two birds with one stone. Any feedback on this combination?

Is it actually shipping yet? I remember they were planning on going into production the week after SnF but haven't heard anything since.

This has nothing to do with the AV30 and tailbeaconX combination but I am far from impressed with the AV30 as a gyro replacement. They’re better than nothing but I wouldn’t want one in an aircraft that I am doing a lot of instrument flying in.

As I don't have a transponder or ADS-B in my plane (haven't needed it) the Tailbeacon X is attractive... except that it doesn't do anonymous mode.

As I don't have a transponder or ADS-B in my plane (haven't needed it) the Tailbeacon X is attractive... except that it doesn't do anonymous mode.
Yeah, that's because anonymous mode is a function of 978 UAT units. If you need anonymous mode, you're going to have to buy a transponder and a UAT (Tailbeacon, Skybeacon, GDL)

An AV-30 slaved to the GPS is rock steady though. At least that's the word on the streets. Is that not the case?

An AV-30 slaved to the GPS is rock steady though. At least that's the word on the streets. Is that not the case?
The complaint I most often hear is DG precession. The OP is looking for an AI, of which I don't hear much.

But regarding the DG, I heard early on that for some GPS input helped and for others it didn't. A few months ago, uAvionix started shipping units with internal magnetometers that coupled with a firmware update was supposed to fix it. However, there's still a bit of confusion as some have applied the firmware update without the hardware update.

The complaint I most often hear is DG precession. The OP is looking for an AI, of which I don't hear much.

But regarding the DG, I heard early on that for some GPS input helped and for others it didn't. A few months ago, uAvionix started shipping units with internal magnetometers that coupled with a firmware update was supposed to fix it. However, there's still a bit of confusion as some have applied the firmware update without the hardware update.

Pretty much matches my experience flying with the AV30C in a clients plane. I have no complaints with the AI, but the reliability is often quite bad on the DG, not sure if I should call it precession, Accuracy, or stability issues. Looking forward to firmware updates or upgrades that might fix the DG.

Brian

I asked my very busy avionic shop that past Friday if they have installed any AV30s, he held up his hand and indicated zero. I would not want one in my plane.

I think people confuse GPS ground track with actual heading and become convinced it stabilizes the DG when they're actually looking at the track. The newer hardware doesn't seem to be a 100% solution - if it was, uAvionix wouldn't have announced that they are going to be offering some sort of add on magnetometer soon.

I flew an aircraft with two AV30s installed in some pretty bad turbulence (in IMC) and wasn't particularly pleased with either the DG or AI performance to the point that I just flew partial panel instead. Until things change, I view the AV30 as a nice addition to a VFR panel but not much more.

Back