Splish Splash

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Checkride #7 Passed! I'm now a Commercial Multi-Engine seaplane pilot! Not to mention I got to fly a Twin Beech.

I arrived Thursday afternoon, got acquainted with the airplane and we flew for a few hours, luckily Duluth MN stays light quite late. The next morning I got to the airplane early and did some chair flying, then we flew for another few hours and then had my check ride at noon. We got the oral done in an hour, the DPE pulled out the commercial ACS and we went through the required items, mostly focusing on aircraft systems. Then the winds kicked up too high so we hung out at the airport for several hours waiting on it to die down, then we took off and flew to another nearby lake, did a few T&G's and came home.

It was one hell of an experience and boy does the Beech 18 fly NICE, It flies way lighter than a Baron, is easy to control and is just a dream to fly while harkening back to the 40's and 50's.

PXL_20220520_202029101.jpg IMG_20220521_063146.jpg PXL_20220519_203013601.jpg

Couldn't you have found a cooler airplane to do it in?

That is seriously awesome. What's the hourly rate for that beauty?

Congratulations! Looks like you did it at Sky Harbor too, what a beautiful area.
I have about 60 hours in the Twin Beech many years ago, fun to fly but not for work the way we did.

Bravo! That sounds SERIOUSLY fun!

Congrats! Wow, Duluth? We’re you on Superior? Or inland?

Congrats! Good-looking plane.

That is seriously awesome. What's the hourly rate for that beauty?
It's a flat rate for the rating... but I was the last one that got through, the airplane got sold and is going to be living in Idaho as of next week.
Congrats! Wow, Duluth? We’re you on Superior? Or inland?
The "Home" landing was in Duluth Harbor, otherwise we took off and flew to several lakes in MN... sure is quick for having those big floats sticking out there... cruising at 150+knots and shooting an approach was... awesome! Makes it easy to get around... albeit at 50gph.

Green with envy, I am. AMES would be great to add to my list of ratings. I had been thinking of doing it in an Aircam as that is a plane that I could possibly afford to fly or even own after getting the rating.

A Grumman amphib of any model would be sweet as well, but just to get the rating. Hard to afford one.

Congratulations.

Well damn, I was just looking up to see if I could go do this.
There were 4 places in the US that did it to my knowledge, now down to 3. There's a Widgeon in Alabama, a twin aircam in Florida and a Goose in Alaska.

Several years ago there was a twin seabee in Seattle, but I think they stopped too... I figure I should do it while I still could and I got it done just in the nick of time. Beech 18 is a dream plane too so win-win.

That is so incredible.

Good for you, bro.

Love seaplane flying but I prefer 4gph v 50:mad:

Absolutely amazing and congratulations.
Cheers

There were 4 places in the US that did it to my knowledge, now down to 3. There's a Widgeon in Alabama, a twin aircam in Florida and a Goose in Alaska.

Several years ago there was a twin seabee in Seattle, but I think they stopped too... I figure I should do it while I still could and I got it done just in the nick of time. Beech 18 is a dream plane too so win-win.

I think Sheble is doing them in an 18 down in Arizona. I didn’t realize they were doing them in the one you did it in.

Congrats! Id like to do the MES but have no real need for it right now, so it will wait. A friend of mine actually discussed buying the 18 you did your rating in but it didn’t really fit his needs. I think a Widgeon would be better for him, and I’m sure if he ends up buying one I’ll get to fly it (and work on it all the time).

Southern Seaplane, last I spoke to them, is getting a Part 141 MES program together. I need to call them back.

That's pretty cool! Floats and skis are both on my list of things to do, but I seriously doubt I'll do multi.

Back