Cheapest jet that isn't a sonex

Are you looking for a jet just so you can say you have a jet or are you looking to fulfill a certain mission requirement?

How about an old CJ1 ? Probably get one for free… if you can afford the MTC.

Saw a civilian A37 at KTYS (although I think it's been since lost in an accident). Have the T37s ever been offered for sale?

David Brady had one in 1990-1991. Got it out of Central America, as I recall. Lots of interesting local stories about him and that aircraft. All of them pointed to a bad outcome.

Unfortunately, the stories ended when he midaired it into his A-26 (flown by others) on the way to an airshow in '91. The A-26 RTB'd. Not so much the Tweet.

A friend of a friend bought an L-29 with a spare engine off of either Craigslist or Ebay, can't remember which. He trailered it home, cleaned it all up, got it airworthy, and approved by the FSDO, for what he says is 'less than the cost of a basic Cessna 150'. He's flown it and I think he still has it. Gotta be about the cheapest acquisition cost anyway, but operating costs are obviously pretty high. He did a presentation about the whole process at Oshkosh maybe 3-4 years ago?

Believe that's Jake Riley, an engineer at Scaled Composites. Facebook link from his first test flight in 2017.

The EAA Sport Aviation magazine did a great write up on this project a couple years ago. Accessible on the EAA site for those who are members -- I've sadly let my membership lapse :( I found the project to be really interesting. I don't recall where he found it for sale, but got it for a pretty cheap price. Spent a lot of time going through the aircraft and getting it working. Finally got it flying, and was enjoying it, but sounded like the fuel prices kept his flying to a minimum.

so this showed up at our fly in today. Owner said not very expensive to maintain 5k annuals.

View attachment 107030
Cost wise, I’ve heard the engine drinks fuel like no tomorrow and overhauls are a little pricey (as is the low-ish TBO). I didn’t get a sense as to whether you can get away with just hot-siding these like you could in a PW Citation or PT6.

Back