Cheyenne

Cheyenne 1 with the Blackhawk conversion.

Easy airplane to fly. Reliable. Smaller cabin than a king air but faster for the same fuel burns.

I've got a few hours in Cheyenne I and IIXL. Faster and more efficient than a King Air, but slightly smaller diameter fuselage means the cabin isn't quite as spacious, which was the Cheyenne's downfall. Our local operator was big on Cheyennes up until a few years ago because maintaining them was starting to get more difficult and expensive.

I've got a few hours in Cheyenne I and IIXL. Faster and more efficient than a King Air, but slightly smaller diameter fuselage means the cabin isn't quite as spacious, which was the Cheyenne's downfall. Our local operator was big on Cheyennes up until a few years ago because maintaining them was starting to get more difficult and expensive.
How does it fly?

I have about 500 hours in a Cheyenne II. It was my first turboprop (coming from a Cessna 340 and 421), and I found it to be an easy, nice flying airplane. Didn't deal with the MX side, so can't speak to that.

I have a couple hundred hours in a IIIA, N75LS. I know the OP asked about a II, just brought back memories of the IIIA. This particular Cheyenne (1984, 42-5501017) was the flagship when Lear Siegler owned Piper. The "A" model had the -61 Pratts (850 SHP, flat rated to 720) it was quite fast. On a standard day 200-300 pounds below maximum weight 285 KTAS at FL250+ was pretty much expected. It was not RVSM so only got to go to FL280, it had plenty of power for that altitude. I thought climb rate was exceptional with climbs in the 10 minute range to FL200 at moderate weights. Had exceptional range IF you didn't need all the load carrying capacity. 560 gallons of kerosene will go along ways. 75LS would only allow around 350 pounds with full fuel. Drop a 100 gallons of fuel and you are approaching 1000 pounds people and luggage. This would give you 4 hours and modest IFR reserve. Very light controls, very stable and a dream to land. I loved the airplane.

Last edited:
Wasn't that the bird the ex-surgeon turned corporate pilot from Tampa used as his FL-New England commuter? I remember his column in Flying being used to tell us how great that plane is nearly every month.

Back