Looking for an MEI near STL

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
I'm looking for an MEI near STL, or more specifically my homedrome FYG. My son got his PPL this semester at the Air Force Academy, and I was facilitating his AMEL this summer while he's home, in our 310. He only has a 3-week window of time off from the academy in July to accomplish this. Any recommendations? Thanks fellas.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your son's accomplishment. Getting the training and DPE ride for a AMEL within three weeks might be a stretch. Maybe look into an accelerated program somewhere?

Ironically, the DPE is the easy part. I’ve got a friend who is a phone call away when the time comes. Finding the MEI, willing to train in my aircraft, seems to be the sticking point. I didn’t have any issues when I did it several years ago, but that MEI has since retired.

I know it will be tough for my son to complete the training in the allotted time frame, but I’m confident he’s up for the challenge. He knocked out his PPL in a little over 40 hours this past semester, and that was on “his” time, not part of any formal coursework or obligations at the academy. :)

There are a lot of instructors on the "I Fly STL" Facebook group. I'd post there.

Well, still looking for an MEI near FYG - Washington, MO. I don’t have Facebook, so I can’t exercise the previous recommendation. Any other ideas?

Found an MEI out of Jeff City. Had a DPE in KC lined up, but walked out to the aircraft Sunday morning to a flat nose gear tire. Fixed it but it was afternoon by then, so the schedule was shot for the DPE. He was gone for the rest of the week. My son returns to the Air Force Academy Friday, so time was not our friend. Looking for DPEs with 310 time, on short notice, the week of Air Venture proved challenging, but not impossible.

Son passed his checkride for his AMEL yesterday. I couldn’t be more proud!

upload_2022-7-28_22-50-1.jpeg

Back