Pilot killed in Johnson County plane crash

Dry Creek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dry Creek
Pilot killed in Johnson County plane crash
This one is pretty strange. The 41 year old (student pilot) crashed into his own yard, just a few miles from KCPT. He had been on a flight returning from "near Austin". The ADSB trace looks odd, just dropped nose-first into his yard.
The name I found as the registered owner came back as a student pilot certificate holder (since around 2018 or 2019). I didn't write the information down, and after the coroner released the name of the victim, the FAA scrubbed him from their website.
I couldn't pull up any past flights to see if this pilot had a habit of flying low over his house - maybe as a way to announce his pending arrival.

Tight turn down low while looking at the ground, accelerated stall/spin? What they call a "moose stall" up north. Or an over agressive pullup after buzzing his house.

Johnson County, Texas?

I opened this thread thinking that perhaps the crash was in the county where I live, in Iowa.

It turns out that 11 states have a Johnson County.

Ooops sorry.

I realized that I should have included the state in the title after it was too late - already posted.

I think there’s a johnsTon county NC but there’s also a johnson county TN just north of us. Pretty sure that’s where the mooney bars were made.

The name I found as the registered owner came back as a student pilot certificate holder (since around 2018 or 2019). I didn't write the information down, and after the coroner released the name of the victim, the FAA scrubbed him from their website.
He is still on the FAA's website. Joshua Bo Kirkpatrick

I think there’s a johnsTon county NC but there’s also a johnson county TN just north of us. Pretty sure that’s where the mooney bars were made.
There is a Johnston county. But there is no Johnson county in North Carolina.

Except that there is zero maneuvering shown in Flightaware.

Back