Adding More Fuel to 180J

Whitney

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Whitney
What is the best way to add more gallons of fuel to a Cessna 180J?

Have someone take the wings apart and add big bladders, or how? I have no idea, so open to options. Tip tanks?
Do tips make it a lot wider?

Del air in porterville ca, has an stc for larger tanks on the 150 & maybe the 172, you would have to check to see if he can do the 180

I have seen a few installs of rigid plastic tip tanks and regular tanks, they are god awful. Hacks up the wing pretty good, just seems really low quality. I think those installs also then require pumps, and check valves. They do not add to wing length, just inside the end of the existing wing.
My '53, like all early 180's has only 55 gallons usable. For flying the lower 48 I have never really wished for more capacity. If I were in some place where fuel was scarce it might be a different deal. Your J model has 60 usable?

There are options, just have to look.

Does it have factory extended fuel? Should be around 79gal usable which would be plenty.

Otherwise you can use Flint Tip tanks to extend range. Early models had a Javelin tank, they're kind of unobtanium, but may work for you.

From the paperwork I can find on it, they are regular tanks, not the long range ones. I fly to remote locations, where fuel isn't available. If I buy the hull, and rebuild it, a 550 engine will also be installed, burning more per hour. An extra 40 gallons would be perfect, but I'll settle for 20.

Pretty sure it has 65 gallons total as it sits, not the optional 84 gallon tanks.
Can the 84 gallons just be installed in the wings?
It would be wonderful if a 100 gallon option was an easy install, and no pumps, switching. Just 50 gals a wing, 1 dial with left, right, both, off.

Can the 84 gallons just be installed in the wings?
"Just".

Easier to swap wings. Find a set of long-range wings. Since it's on the type certificate there's no legal issue with swapping.

To clear up any misconceptions, I do not own this 180, it doesn't fly, has no engine, prop, or panel, as well as other miscellaneous parts missing. It hasn't flown since 2003 when the old owner pulled the engine and panel out. His original intention was to replace the engine, prop, and upgrade the panel. Upon his passing away, the house and land was sold to a family friend, including the plane. I have talked to the surviving kids, they don't want it, a lawyer said that legally the current home owners do own it, and they are willing to sell it to me cheap.
My digging, questions, and such are in an attempt to make my decision on buying, or not. As far as I can tell it is corrosion free, but everything is sun baked, from sitting outside in a Mexico yard all these years. The log books show just over 4100 hours TT, and it flew from 1975 to 2003, the last owner to fly it, purchasing the plane in 1991.

Heck I don't even know if I can still buy windows for it.

Would like to rescue it if feasible.
Turn it into my ultimate dream 180, with glass panel, bigger power, new paint and interior, long range fuel, and basically rebuilt to like new. It is a dream for now, maybe a reality in the future, or I might come to my senses and run away before opening this can of worms.

To clear up any misconceptions, I do not own this 180, it doesn't fly, has no engine, prop, or panel, as well as other miscellaneous parts missing. It hasn't flown since 2003 when the old owner pulled the engine and panel out. His original intention was to replace the engine, prop, and upgrade the panel. Upon his passing away, the house and land was sold to a family friend, including the plane. I have talked to the surviving kids, they don't want it, a lawyer said that legally the current home owners do own it, and they are willing to sell it to me cheap.
My digging, questions, and such are in an attempt to make my decision on buying, or not. As far as I can tell it is corrosion free, but everything is sun baked, from sitting outside in a Mexico yard all these years. The log books show just over 4100 hours TT, and it flew from 1975 to 2003, the last owner to fly it, purchasing the plane in 1991.

Turn it into my ultimate dream 180, with glass panel, bigger power, new paint and interior, long range fuel, and basically rebuilt to like new. It is a dream for now, maybe a reality in the future, or I might come to my senses and run away before opening this can of worms.
Lots and lots of Skywagons getting restored - so there are parts for everything, and more parts manufacturers joining the market every week. It will be a long, expensive painful road full of slow work and frustration. If you want a one-stop shop and have the money I'd recommend trucking it up to: https://bushliner.com/

Kyle does fantastic work and will rebuild it to your forever airplane.

But I still say do it. They aren't making any more of these and I don't think there has ever been a better plane made.

Good luck and keep us posted!

While testing the waters to see if parts are available to make what you want is not a bad idea, I'd probably put my main focus on determining if you can get adequate documentation to transfer ownership as well as determining if an import/export is possible (if needed). Those concerns will likely stop a transaction and subsequent rebuild faster than not being able to obtain the components to put it back together.

Depending on the condition and if you can buy it cheap enough it might be worth buying and rescuing it even if you end up selling it to someone else prior to restoration.

I hate to burst your bubble, but a 180 project like that, if you did all the work yourself would end up being 150k to 175k and take several years. Paying someone else to do it would also be several years and likely 350k.
Have you looked at what a 550 costs, just the engine? Or what it weighs? 12 to 15 pounds more than a 520! What prop? 401 Mac 88”? I’d bet over $100k in engine and prop. No corrosion? Don’t believe it until you see it! it is not a small project, with the knowledge and skills it’s still a huge project.
Good luck, seriously. If you want to fly, buy a flying one for $200k, you’ll be better off.

Lots and lots of Skywagons getting restored - so there are parts for everything, and more parts manufacturers joining the market every week. It will be a long, expensive painful road full of slow work and frustration. If you want a one-stop shop and have the money I'd recommend trucking it up to: https://bushliner.com/

Kyle does fantastic work and will rebuild it to your forever airplane.

But I still say do it. They aren't making any more of these and I don't think there has ever been a better plane made.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you!

I hate to burst your bubble, but a 180 project like that, if you did all the work yourself would end up being 150k to 175k and take several years. Paying someone else to do it would also be several years and likely 350k.
Have you looked at what a 550 costs, just the engine? Or what it weighs? 12 to 15 pounds more than a 520! What prop? 401 Mac 88”? I’d bet over $100k in engine and prop. No corrosion? Don’t believe it until you see it! it is not a small project, with the knowledge and skills it’s still a huge project.
Good luck, seriously. If you want to fly, buy a flying one for $200k, you’ll be better off.

My goal if I do this, is under 5 years, and under $500,000 Canadian.

I had no delusions of this being quick, cheap, or easy. Hence my questions about some things that may seem elementary to most. Especially when it comes to the panel, and making it amazing the first time. Sure don't want to get it wrong, and then spend another year, and $50,000 more fixing it, because of my ignorance. Being around small planes since age 12, and buying my own at 18, if you had asked me at 19, I would have told you that I knew plenty about planes, and being a pilot. Every passing year since, and a few planes later, I would describe my knowledge on planes, and piloting as minimal. Here I sit, aged 44 years, owning my 4th plane, thinking about buying #5, asking for help, admitting my ignorance. Every hour added to my log book, made me more humble. As I close in on 8,000 hours ( actually 7740 now ) having learned much, I certainly don't claim to know as much as I did at 19, and 90 hours. This would certainly be my last, and nicest plane, if I proceed. God willing I would stay healthy enough to keep flying till age 70, and enjoying it. The world keeps changing, technology advancing, and I have always been decades behind. An injected engine, Garmin G500, new interior, new paint, new windows, basically all new, would be a dream come true. So thanks for all those following along, as I think out loud, and type on this forum I just recently joined. My love of aviation began over 30 years ago as a child, and is stronger today, than it was then.

For that money I'd be looking for a decent 185. Later S/Ns more likely to have LR tanks, already injected, bigger cabin, bigger useful load, better performance.

I apologize, I guess there wasn't a bubble.
I think it is far better to buy an airplane someone has already put a ton of money and time into that starting with a project and building your dream. Dream airplanes always cost more than you think they will, especially if you aren't doing the labor. But, from your desires I too would start with a later model 185. While I have seen 180's with IO550's, I think they were field approved, and have very far forward cg's.
Big tanks and big engine 180's do exist, I would try to find one like that to start with.

I personally think about a year from now there will be a few very nice planes up for sale at good prices.

Back