Cessna 150L alternator issue

brknmach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brknmach
Hey there folks… so I’m having a pre buy done in a 150L. The alternator is shot.. mechanic told me this “Does not appear to be any gear train damage. Just an improperly installed coupling that was way too loose and now has ruined the alternator.” Which he sent me a video and the thing is messed up. My question is: he quoted me $2600 for the alternator and coupler, plus 450 for labor. When I’m searching around I find new hartzell alternators for ~900 but can’t find a price on a coupler. You guys think this is a fair price?
Thanks

Lightweight alternator upgrade opportunity.

Yeah, what @farmrjohn said... Cessna IPC calls out the whole drive assembly kit as EQ5820, which is ~$1200-1300 (but seems to be backordered everywhere), but you can get individual parts, but the summation of all those parts is about the same, depending on how bad it all is. But if it's that bad... how bad are the gears in the accessory case (alternator is driven off the cam gear IIRC)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies… It’s for an O-200…Does not appear to be any gear train damage. Just an improperly installed coupling that was way too loose and now has ruined the alternator. The cotter pin was the only thing holding it together.... It should be a good core. Fortunately it's a Hartzel Engine Technologies alternator.

Looking at the Plane Power ER14-50 kit that's STC'd for the 150L, they have an optional ER14-GR kit that has every part of the coupling except the 632050 bushings. Which @ ~$1000 for the alternator kit and $300 for the gear kit, plus $20 for the bushings, seems like a good deal. And if you already have the ER14-50 kit installed, but just need the replacement alternator that's ~$800, add the PP coupling kit if it's needed and the bushings.

Back