What name do you call clearance delivery?

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
Looking at a Chart supplement at an uncontrolled airport today and I see a Clearance Delivery frequency (no phone number). What name do I use when I call them for a clearance?

Let’s say the associated Center control is Chicago Center, do I say Chicago Clearance or use the airport name? Or omit it altogether and just say, “Clearance, N525xz, on the ground at KXYZ, IFR to KABC?”

I’ve googled and searched here, but couldn’t find the answer.

Honestly, it’s not that crucial, you’re overthinking it. You can literally just say ‘clearance’ and it’ll be fine.

We have a remote radio to Peoria Approach to pick up a clearance at our satellite airport. I call them Peoria Approach and tell them I'm on the ground. Nobody has complained.

Which reminds me, Quincy has a frequency on the ground to get to KC Center. I called them KC Center on my checkride from the ground and my DPE didn't fail me. YMMV.

If you’re calling Chicago center for a clearance, I’d call them “center.” Doesn’t really matter though.

“Center, N12345, on the ground in XYZ, clearance to ABC.”

It's a good thing the FAA doesn't check for overthinking on medical applications! I can just see it.

"Have you ever in your life...
"aa. |_| worried about whether to say 'Departure' or 'Approach' to a radar facility?"​

Looking at a Chart supplement at an uncontrolled airport today and I see a Clearance Delivery frequency (no phone number). What name do I use when I call them for a clearance?

Let’s say the associated Center control is Chicago Center, do I say Chicago Clearance or use the airport name? Or omit it altogether and just say, “Clearance, N525xz, on the ground at KXYZ, IFR to KABC?”

If your calling Chicago Center, you’re calling Chicago Center. That’s their name. It’s that simple. At lots of Towers there is not a Clearance Delivery position and you get your clearance from Ground. You call Ground. That’s their name. Same principle applies here. What airport is it you were looking at?

Last edited:
Clearance always works. Truly a non issue. If you call them Captain Kangaroo they will still respond.
Lmao. But respond with what? Story. I was a Center Controller. Almost everyone had a nickname. There was one who bore an uncanny resemblance to Bob Keeshan. He was The Captain. He didn’t particularly like it. If he’d a heard that from a pilot he would probably have melted down

The name is right there. If it says Chicago Center, then you call Chicago Center. If there is a specific airport you are mentioning, post it and we can look at it specifically.

When they come back with, "I have full route clearance for you," there are some other names I think of calling them!

tower: "tower"
ground: "ground"
center: "center"
clearance: "clearance"
approach: "approach"
guard: "meow"

crazy, I know.

Flight Service = "radio"
That's the one. Why are they radio? It's my experience, more than half the time they don't even answer the radio. I wonder if they will ever go out like HIWAS? I actually used HIWAS more often then FSS

If it's an untowered airport I just say something like "clearance XXX, NXXX with request" then when they reply "NXXX on the ground at XYZ, IFR TO ABC"

If it's towered then "clearance (or ground), N123 IFR to ABC"

my only real experience with this is at AVX, not uncommon to get "trapped" (for me at least) if the marine layer rolls in, or doesn't break in time

Flight Service = "radio"
That's the one. Why are they radio? It's my experience, more than half the time they don't even answer the radio. I wonder if they will ever go out like HIWAS? I actually used HIWAS more often then FSS

The only thing I can think of is they called it "Radio" when only a few major city airports had a radio in the control tower, and the only people you could reach using that new fangled vacuum tubed thing was FSS. Other than that - I have no idea. To be honest, I've never used FSS, and in today's environment not sure what they bring to the table. Especially when one frequency is receive only, etc.

Just make sure to give a good "SeeeeeYuh!" when you are told your readback is correct.

At towered airports I use clearance at non towered I use departure .

Military controllers=always.

then you’ve never flown into my little air patch.

as part of training because ground is also clearance delivery, a lot of new controllers want to be cool and read it as fast as possible.
I tell them to pick up a pen and then I read it back to them even faster. They get the point and start reading them slower

Military controllers=always.
It's the same clearance as yesterday! and the day before that.

"Maintain 500 till 7DME, Departure button 3, squawk 7+side number"

I left IFR from KASW and the charts show “clnc del 134.05” and showed a different freq for Ft Wayne Approach, so I called Ft Wayne Clearance at the runup area and it worked fine.

What I didn’t expect was for my clearance to include, for the frequency, that Clearance Delivery freq: “Cleared as filed, climb and maintain 8,000, contact…this frequency” - literally. Got airborne, and in my rules-following mindset, checked in with “Ft Wayne Clearance”, since that’s how I knew him. To my surprise he kept me with him until handing me off to Center a bit later - he never switched me to a Ft Wayne Approach one. I never heard anyone else on freq and don’t recall him ever referring to himself; had he responded with Ft Wayne Approach/Departure I would have changed my wording.

Not a problem but just felt weird.

I left IFR from KASW and the charts show “clnc del 134.05” and showed a different freq for Ft Wayne Approach, so I called Ft Wayne Clearance at the runup area and it worked fine.

What I didn’t expect was for my clearance to include, for the frequency, that Clearance Delivery freq: “Cleared as filed, climb and maintain 8,000, contact…this frequency” - literally. Got airborne, and in my rules-following mindset, checked in with “Ft Wayne Clearance”, since that’s how I knew him. To my surprise he kept me with him until handing me off to Center a bit later - he never switched me to a Ft Wayne Approach one. I never heard anyone else on freq and don’t recall him ever referring to himself; had he responded with Ft Wayne Approach/Departure I would have changed my wording.

Not a problem but just felt weird.
What was said where the ... was between contact and this in "Cleared as filed, climb and maintain 8,000, contact…this frequency”?

Back