My plane out of service, looking for fun things to do

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Situation here is that I am a PPL, had nearly completed my instrument stuff but now my plane is potentially unavailable for large parts of the rest of the year (Engine, avionics, paint). My plan was to do online commercial ground school during this time, willing to consider other things, certainly stuff that could be more fun. Things I have considered:
multi engine training
Spin training
High performance endorsement
One or two day fun class in old planes- flying vacation fun kind of stuff.

Are there other things I should consider and where can they be done at?

If it matters, we live in NC. One planned trip driving to Southern GA next month or two.

Thank you.

Did you mean that you haven't finished your instrument rating yet? If that's the case, and you're very close to being checkride ready, I'd suggest renting an IFR capable plane to finish now. If your plane is out for many months, by the time you get back to instrument training, you'll likely need quite a few tune-up hours to get back to where you are now. Unlike other training for PPL or even commercial, where maneuvers, etc. tend to stick with you once you "get it," instrument skills tend to get rusty quickly when not used. Of course, that would all depend on just exactly how many hours/lessons you are from the finish line.

Did you mean that you haven't finished your instrument rating yet? If that's the case, and you're very close to being checkride ready, I'd suggest renting an IFR capable plane to finish now. If your plane is out for many months, by the time you get back to instrument training, you'll likely need quite a few tune-up hours to get back to where you are now. Unlike other training for PPL or even commercial, where maneuvers, etc. tend to stick with you once you "get it," instrument skills get rusty quickly when not used.

No, did not finish. Engine came in, shop was willing. The rest of avionics ship end of June. My CFII moved airports. I was not having fun. Completely at peace waiting til 2023, especially since I can combine work with CFII for the rating and learning all new gadgets. I reached out to one school and had not heard back, when I was there before they seemed CFII limited. Others were 3 hours away. I do not fit in diamonds so that limited the schools. I might get a few weeks in the plane in June but the focus will be on the engine break in. Nearest schools to train in 172s now are at least an hour drive away. I'd need a few tune up hours to learn school planes older GPS units.

I also run a pecan business and have 800 trees to graft while I can, have been getting behind.

Aha, yes. While you were posting your reply, I was re-reading your previous post about your IFR troubles. So, a "fun-break" would be understandable, and I get that logistics are a challenge, but I guess I'd still recommend trying to finish up. Good luck with whatever you choose!

UPRT and/or Tailwheel endorsement.

Greg Collins in Hendersonville NC (Blue Ridge Sport Flight) is a great place to do some tailwheel training in a Champ.

Beaufort flight training (In SC) was doing UPRT now and again. Contact Jim Atkins if you're interested.

Situation here is that I am a PPL, had nearly completed my instrument stuff but now my plane is potentially unavailable for large parts of the rest of the year (Engine, avionics, paint). My plan was to do online commercial ground school during this time, willing to consider other things, certainly stuff that could be more fun. Things I have considered:
multi engine training
Spin training

If it matters, we live in NC. One planned trip driving to Southern GA next month or two.

Thank you.
Oh, fun flying stuff. I was gonna say, surfing, skateboarding, ice hockey ... nevermind.

And I would still say find a CFII, rent, and push through and get the IFR in a six pack with a GPS non autopilot airplane.

As much of a PIA it may be / seem........

Me? PPL was much more fun than IFR training. It was a haul. I am SO glad I kept at it and it's behind me now. Flying is SO much better and more enjoyable now that I can do the IFR flying.

Take the IR to the finish line. Nothing else really makes as much sense.

Thanks. We can end such discussions now. Not happening. Everything else planned for >6 months.

Aerobatics. Glider or seaplane rating. Go to a bush flying school. Try hang gliding or paragliding or other ultralights or even skydiving. Lots of fun things to do in the sky.

Do something that gets your head outside and reinforces basic stick and rudder flying. Those skills often deteriorate when focusing on instrument training, and are generally viewed as educational and fun. My suggestions would be spin training and tailwheel flying. Flying floats a bit wouldn't hurt either.

No, did not finish. I also run a pecan business and have 800 trees to graft while I can, have been getting behind.

What area do you live in? Your story sound almost Identical to mine. Am in El Paso, rentals were getting real dangerous, spent the time locating the Tiger I used to fly ... we only get about 2 IFR days a year here (one with TS-lightning and the other with ice :eek::confused:).

I'll finish it sometime, but I really haven't needed it in 15 years of flying except one 4 hour weather delay for a marine layer ...

multi engine training
Spin training

Thank you.
I think it is a big mistake not finishing at any cost, sounds like poor planning to me.
It also sounds like you do too much posting and not enough studies.

Sorry but you posted and I shared my opinion. It is really hard to get back at it just like Danhagan has said.

Good luck to you.

Seaplane rating. Got mine last year and absolutely a blast. Do it in a flying boat like a SeaRey or Aventura and you can get a tail wheel endorsement also.

Cheers

Reactions: WDD
Do something that gets your head outside and reinforces basic stick and rudder flying. Those skills often deteriorate when focusing on instrument training, and are generally viewed as educational and fun. My suggestions would be spin training and tailwheel flying. Flying floats a bit wouldn't hurt either.

I can't agree with this more. Get some good specialized training in the VFR world. It might just save your life someday, not to mention just being "plane" old fun.

I think it is a big mistake not finishing at any cost, sounds like poor planning to me.
It also sounds like you do too much posting and not enough studies.

Sorry but you posted and I shared my opinion. It is really hard to get back at it just like Danhagan has said.

Good luck to you.

I get it. I geared up to test three times. I planned out things that did not go well, perhaps my fault, but done with the best knowledge I had. I can gear up again. I'm glad for the opinions, but now that I have the plane in for an engine I am not going to stop that process.

You are going to get your IR in your plane; I so get that. I take it that you’re not chasing a flying career but doing it for fun and transport and whatever.

I’d second 2 of the suggestions made here.

1) Doing a week or a couple of immersive weekends at a glider school to get your glider rating and learning to soar (not necessarily the same things). One is a stamp in you log book after a bunch of tows and learning to do tow rope breaks in a beater glider. The other is going up in a 2 place fiberglass ship with some performance (Grob) and learning to thermal soar. It’s pure stick and rudder work but more enjoyably it can open up the sky in dimensions that some power pilots never ‘get’. Going out west to AZ or NV or TX or NM would be the best bet. Western soaring is to eastern soaring as ocean sailing is to lake sailing; it’s all fun but bigger out west. ‘Sailing’ can be replaced by ‘skiing’ in the previous sentence I’m told. I used to do a lot of soaring and sailplane racing but spent an intensive week in AZ doing glider acrobatics. It was fun, instructive and I confirmed that acro is not my thing.

2) The seaplane thing. I’ve only been a passenger in seaplanes but everyone I’ve ever talked about getting their rating was smiling big time. I understand it’s perfect for an immersive weekend with a rating being earned on the backside. And you never feel like you have to continue with it afterwards… unless you just have too. I know there’s a guy on Smith Mountain Lake that does it. Lot’s of stuff in FL and I”m guessing in the Midwest lake region. Sounds like a good fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back