Hyd.power pack,Piper,Beech,etc

I'm sure many people have been. I think I remember seeing a receipt for $550 for an overhauled one in the logbooks from a few years ago.

I have had the pleasure of replacing mine twice in my arrow. The last time being around 2017-2018 time frame. I seem to remember right at $2000 installed. I can try to find the invoice this evening when I get home.

Today's cost is $3250 from a reputable shop. Not every hydraulic overhaul shop can do a high quality job. It is what it is.

A pump that they stopped manufacturing 40 years ago. HYC50005 for Pipers. Made by Prestolite . Elec motored no problem. Arco Marine has those

A pump that they stopped manufacturing 40 years ago. HYC50005 for Pipers. Made by Prestolite . Elec motored no problem. Arco Marine has those
That P/N is still in the $3-$4000 range for exchange. Was told core availability has tanked. How much do you think you were over charged?

Last HYC50005 we did a few months ago, the only place (QAA) that had one on the shelf was $4000, plus a $3000 core.

Inflation has messed with the market big time. Mine in the arrow was overhauled exchanged around the same time frame as the poster #4, and the price was about the same as his, maybe closer to 3k with labor since my remote location AP had me captured on the labor front.

The reason I am asking this is because I need a rebuild (fix) for about the forth time. I refuse to be intimidated by legalized crime and am in the process of learning everything I can about the Prestolite pump. They stopped making the pump 40 years ago and all the rebuilds are done with a lot of boneyard parts. Some parts can still be sourced, but not all. I have gathered knowledge and information from many sources, Piper owners are in the same situation.
As the pumps become more scarce the price goes up. a rebuild has gone from 1500.00 to 4000.00 in just four years. No telling what it will be in another five years. We need to be looking for alternatives.

LIfe is a barrel of fun.

Ken

I had an IRAN done a few years ago to replace the Gear Up Checkvalve, they had to put a new one in as they are not available any more, It lasted a few months. Cox and Rotables are the only two fixing them and the other folks all send them there, It is a bit of a crap shoot. The HYC 5006 and 5006 are the same pump with different pressure settings.

What product or service will this be, and what will it cost?

any news on this ?
need to go for 500 hours electric motor check - which looksno one is doing . overhauled ones on the 3000+..

I have some motors on the way, will be here Thursday and I will check the fit. Do not go near a motor that D&B are selling, armature is too short, wrong thread on bolts. Will keep info posted on here..

what in the world is a 500 hour electric motor check. I don't even have an hour meter installed on my gear pump. After changing brushers I would rather just change the whole electric motor if it has any age on it.

what in the world is a 500 hour electric motor check. I don't even have an hour meter installed on my gear pump. After changing brushers I would rather just change the whole electric motor if it has any age on it.
I have some motors on the way, will be here Thursday and I will check the fit. Do not go near a motor that D&B are selling, armature is too short, wrong thread on bolts. Will keep info posted on here..
Any word on the Prestolite pump rebuild? I am in the same boat

Any word on the Prestolite pump rebuild? I am in the same boat
Our shop has considerable experience with rebuilding the Prestolite pumps - cost is $3450 which includes a new motor. Lead time is 4-5 weeks. Be aware that not all Prestolite overhauls are the same as we incorporate some mods, such as an improved check valve seat and the new motor, which is not required to certify the unit as overhauled. Happy to help if desired. rob@bellancaaircraft.com

Our shop has considerable experience with rebuilding the Prestolite pumps - cost is $3450 which includes a new motor. Lead time is 4-5 weeks. Be aware that not all Prestolite overhauls are the same as we incorporate some mods, such as an improved check valve seat and the new motor, which is not required to certify the unit as overhauled. Happy to help if desired. rob@bellancaaircraft.com
Hello thanks for the response. I took the electric motor off and it needs new brushes and smelled liked it was burned. Do u sell just the motor/armature?

Hello thanks for the response. I took the electric motor off and it needs new brushes and smelled liked it was burned. Do u sell just the motor/armature?
We only provide the complete pump overhaul service as this is the only process that we can certify under FAA rules. As mentioned above you can likely buy a replacement motor from Arco Marine, however it is not a PMA part so you would need to install it as an "owner produced part" - make sure your A&P agrees to this and that the logbook entry is in order. Should you have a gear up landing due to the pump problem, failure to have the paperwork trail in order could cause a claim denial.

so you would need to install it as an "owner produced part"
FYI: owner produced parts cannot be purchased off-the-shelf items. The part must be physically manufactured/produced with the owner providing one of the 5 guidance items. Now his mechanic could entertain replacing the motor as an alteration but it would be the mechanics determination whether that alteration is a minor or major.

FYI: owner produced parts cannot be purchased off-the-shelf items. The part must be physically manufactured/produced with the owner providing one of the 5 guidance items. Now his mechanic could entertain replacing the motor as an alteration but it would be the mechanics determination whether that alteration is a minor or major.
Hello my Bell206 friend. You have correctly emphasized the point that not everything qualifies as an “owner produced part”. However my point was that the ultimate determination on how to approve the installation of a replacement motor for a Prestolite powerpack rests with the A&P who would be required to sign-off on the installation. There are two provisions of the FAA regulations that are worth understanding:

First, the interpretation of an “owner produced part” was broadened in an FAA memorandum in August of 1993 by Assistant Chief Counsel Donald P. Byrne. This memo provides a more liberal interpretation FAR 21.303 (b)(2). To meet the requirement the owner must still participate in the design, manufacture or quality of the part in question. Note that this means the owner must participate in any of these three criteria, but not necessarily all. The argument that an owner could purchase a part off-the-shelf and, even after testing or inspecting the part, claim this as an "owner produced part" will likely not achieve the required standard. However there may be an alternative to legally use such a part…

Second, and perhaps more applicable to the case at hand is AC 23-27, Parts and Materials Substitution for Vintage Aircraft. Now to be clear, this provision applies only to aircraft certificated prior to January 1, 1980. Perhaps this applies to the majority of the aging GA fleet. This AC provides a generous opportunity to replace obsolete parts with substitutes that are equivalent in form, fit and function to the original part. Since the aviation models of the Prestolite powerpack are not directly supported by any factory or other PMA approved source, AC 23-27 was intended to address this very situation. The determination as to whether the alteration of the powerpack constitutes a major or minor alteration would need to be made by an A&P or IA with competence in the interpretation of the AC 23-27 and other regulations.

It is a big challenge to support older aircraft as I well know in the course of conducting business at Bellanca Aircraft. The bottom line is to do what is safe and what satisfies the regulations.

Last edited:
Thanks to some valuable feedback from Bell206, my previous post #27 was modified to clarify certain details regarding the applicability of the owner produced part provision of 21.303 (b)(2). If this subject is of interest, please re-read my comments above. Thanks, Rob

Back