Power Setting on missed approach

What power setting do you use on missed approach?

• Full throttle (100%)

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Climb Power (e.g. 75%, 85%, etc)

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
in the piston planes I fly if I'm going missed I want to get away from the ground, so that's an automatic full power

I see a lot of discussion here about "Full power" and "Full throttle", and I think it's important to understand that there is most definitely a distinction.

You have to fly the plane you're in. For example, in a Seneca III, "full throttle" will significantly overboost your engine due to the fixed wastegate, and if the safety valve * doesn't work right, you may destroy your engine. So "full power" is actually about "half throttle". This is a very important point when I do engine failure training in them, because if you revert to your multiengine training in a Seminole and go full-throttle, you could very well lose the good engine as a result. Same thing, I believe, in the Turbo Arrow, I think it's the same engine/turbo.

* I used to fly a Turbo Saratoga where it seemed the relief valve never kicked in quite right.

Then you have turbines which have a whole additional set of limitations.

So yeah, go to "full power" (assuming that's 100% power) if that's as recommended in the POH, but that very well might not be "full throttle".

It’s easier for sure but some airplanes require tweaking to set power. Just have to fly the ride you’re in that day.
If there is no detent or easy way to set a specific power and no limitation against full throttle, then I stick with my comment that there is no reason not to use full throttle rather than tweaking.

A detente is an example of an "easy way." A Turbo Arrow, which will overboost if you sneeze on it, is an example of a limitation.

If there is no detent or easy way to set a specific power and no limitation against full throttle, then I stick with my comment that there is no reason not to use full throttle rather than tweaking.

A detente is an example of an "easy way." A Turbo Arrow, which will overboost if you sneeze on it, is an example of a limitation.
I understand. I was not disagreeing with you.

I think the mindset that favors using climb power instead of full power is that a little bit of added workload early (setting climb power while transitioning to the missed approach) will save some workload later (changing from full power to climb power after establishing the climb). I think that I have more bandwidth for the added workload later on than I do right at the missed approach point, so full power makes more sense even if the ground weren't coming up at me.

Back