Replacing seat belts

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I've got a call in to my mechanic, but I'm just curious. In an inertial seatbelt can you replace the webbing alone, or do you need to replace the entire mechanism?

Send it in for rewebbing and overhaul center will advise on replacement parts needed.

Depends on the requirements as set out in the POH. In general, you can send them for rewebbing. For the lucky few (yours truly included), you need to replace the whole kit and kaboodle.

seatbelt overhaul center? Never heard of that before.

In an inertial seatbelt can you replace the webbing alone, or do you need to replace the entire mechanism?
Depends on the type belt/retract and the process the repair facility uses. Give Wag-Aero or similar vender a call for details. Usually its a package deal when retracts are part of the belt assy.
Depends on the requirements as set out in the POH.
Curious. What requirements are listed in the POH?

Curious. What requirements are listed in the POH?

There was a LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG discussion of this requirement. The issue is that the requirement says to 'Replace the seat restraint devices'. This has been interpreted as not allowing the replacement of just the webbing or overhaul of the seat belt and associated hardware (as otherwise it would say 'replace or overhaul'). Now as to whether an FAA inspector would take note of this, that's a different question.

There was a LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG discussion of this requirement. The issue is that the requirement says to 'Replace the seat restraint devices'.
Which discussion? Regardless the POH does not predicate maintenance. Never has. There are a number of FAA guidance docs, LOIs, etc. that discuss this. So unless there is an FAA rule (FAR, AD, etc.) or an approved Airworthiness Limitation Section that specifically states to "replace the seat restraint devices" then it falls under an "on-condition" schedule. And whether you replace or rewebb/repair those belts is totally up to the owner with rewebbing/repair the most coast effiecient.

Now there have been looooonnnngggg discussions on whether a seatbelt missing its TSO tag rendered it unserviceable, however, that too is not always the case depending on the situation.

Last edited:
Which discussion? Regardless the POH does not predicate maintenance. Never has. There are a number of FAA guidance docs, LOIs, etc. that discuss this. So unless there is an FAA rule (FAR, AD, etc.) or an approved Airworthiness Limitation Section that specifically states to "replace the seat restraint devices" then it falls under an "on-condition" schedule. And whether you replace or rewebb/repair those belts is totally up to the owner with rewebbing/repair the most coast effiecient.

Now there have been looooonnnngggg discussions on whether a seatbelt missing its TSO tag rendered it unserviceable, however, that too is not always the case depending on the situation.

This was on the Cessna Advanced Aircraft Club forums (formerly Club Columbia). The requirements could have been in the maintenance manual. It sets a life limit of 10 years for replacement.

If you have after market BAS 4 point, they usually have to go back to BAS.

The requirements could have been in the maintenance manual. It sets a life limit of 10 years for replacement.
Is the service document you refer to similar to the 1st one posted below from Ch 5 in a restart 172 manual? If so, even though there was a lot of banter over the "mandatory" verbiage by Cessna it still does not carry any regulatory authority for a Part 91 GA aircraft. As mentioned, unless those "mandated" 10 yr restraint replacement requirements are listed in a Part 43.16 signed/approved Airworthiness Limitations Section (Ch 4 ATA code) they are merely Cessna recommendations. For example, the 2nd and 3rd posted docs below show these regulatory requirements for an ALS. Same would go if an AD came out requiring a 10 year replacement then it would need to be done as all ADs are FAA rules. So without any FAA rule and signature to back up Cessna's Ch 5 replacement requirement its a moot point in Part 91.

upload_2022-5-16_16-56-17.png

upload_2022-5-16_16-54-23.png
upload_2022-5-16_16-55-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-5-16_16-53-13.png
    upload_2022-5-16_16-53-13.png
    666.7 KB · Views: 4
It's under chapter 4 section 3 of the maintenance manual:
upload_2022-5-16_16-38-28.png

It's under chapter 4 section 3 of the maintenance manual:
Cessna 400? It also has an airframe life limit because its a Part 23 aircraft. Zero of which applies to the above conversation as you implied in your posts.

Cessna 400? It also has an airframe life limit because its a Part 23 aircraft. Zero of which applies to the above conversation as you implied in your posts.

I'm confused. I never mentioned an airframe life limit (I think it's 25K hrs, so I have some time to worry about it). Are you saying the seat belt time limit is not applicable for some reason? If it's not, what is the reason? As mentioned, it was discussed and argued quite a bit on the CAAC forum since a lot of planes came due at around the same time.

I wasn’t impressed with the last set of belts we had done at Wag Aero but the price and service were great.
We used C&M in Dallas TX for the most recent set. They make very high end custom and standard restraints for various industries including race cars, marine, and certified aviation. Incredible quality and attention detail. They emailed engineering drawings back and forth until we agreed on the design. They also sent samples so that we could pick the best color. Tons of color options! Totally pleased, but I will say it costs more than most will want to spend!

Are you saying the seat belt time limit is not applicable for some reason?
It's only applicable to your 400. It's not applicable the OP question/discussion nor is it applicable to the context of the subsequent posts.

Back