POLL: Buying engine monitor, which instrument should I remove?

Installing Engine Monitor, Which Instrument Should I Pull?

• CDI 2

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Storm scope

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • DG 2

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Too much stuff in my panel. I ordered a JPI EDM-830. Something has to go. Not enough panel space. I like redundancy (hence the 830, rather than 930).

I have an HSI and wet compass. I also have a vacuum DG. Vac DG is on copilot side far away. Could remove, then move one of my primaries (tach, MP/FF) into its place, but then JPI wouldn’t be in my face/scan.

I have my HSI connected to NAV1. I have CDI connected to NAV2, with ILS/GS. CDI is in my face, top right of scan. Maybe keep it there, or drop it down one hole.

I have a Stormscope, but also ADSB-In (Stratux) for WX products. Just under the CDI. Won’t likely be able to relocate scope due to wiring needs.

I hate to pull any of them. Thinking Stormscope.

600C0BA1-15B9-4D72-9C2F-CB549092BFAA.jpeg 416FA550-EFAB-415F-B823-09C5C3F9B5F8.jpeg

What's that square hole next to the yoke?

I’d pull the copilot DG. Put CDI 2 there and engine monitor in CDI 2 spot.

I'd do this, but also think about eventually a backup electric artificial horizon, or switching to electric. This is assuming you're sometimes flying IFR. Of all the things to be redundant on, money not counting, I'd backup the vacuum horizon. I'd keep the stormscope, as it gives you real time data, assuming it works.

I'd hate to lose the stormscope if it works. The right side DG seems kind of pointless. I'd consider putting the tach up there, maybe move the manifold gauge down and put the JPI in in that hole. You won't look at those gauges any more once you get the JPI.

I have the 930, but it's about the same distance away as we're talking about here and there's no issue using it. The RPM & MP is nice & big and easy to pick up in your peripheral vision. I have gotten the leans when I spend too much time looking at it in the climb. Just takes a little discipline to not stare at that bright, pretty screen when you need to be flying the plane.

9-21 panel.jpg

Too much stuff in my panel. I ordered a JPI EDM-830. Something has to go. Not enough panel space. I like redundancy (hence the 830, rather than 930).

I have an HSI and wet compass. I also have a vacuum DG. Vac DG is on copilot side far away. Could remove, then move one of my primaries (tach, MP/FF) into its place, but then JPI wouldn’t be in my face/scan.

I have my HSI connected to NAV1. I have CDI connected to NAV2, with ILS/GS. CDI is in my face, top right of scan. Maybe keep it there, or drop it down one hole.

I have a Stormscope, but also ADSB-In (Stratux) for WX products. Just under the CDI. Won’t likely be able to relocate scope due to wiring needs.

I hate to pull any of them. Thinking Stormscope.

View attachment 105111 View attachment 105109
Hm. Replace CDI #2 with a MidContinent MD222, move it to the INOP clock's spot and then put the JPI in the remaining hole?

Things I haven’t thought of, thanks, keep em coming please.

but also think about eventually a backup electric artificial horizon
Towards that purpose, one could put a uAvionix AV20S in the vacuum gauge spot and move the vacuum gauge to the blank on the right of DG #2. The Low Vacuum light would have to be relocated closer to the top of the pilot's scan, though.

I’d remove the MP/FF and RPM, upgrade to JPI 900.
I know you like redundancy, but those gauges aren’t necessary for in a normally aspirated plane.

Hm. Replace CDI #2 with a MidContinent MD222, move it to the INOP clock's spot and then put the JPI in the remaining hole?
You need a panel clock to be IFR compliant.

You need a panel clock to be IFR compliant.
Yeah, but if the current clock is placarded INOP then there must be another clock somewhere otherwise it's not currently IFR compliant now, so...:)

Does the JPI 830 have a IFR capable clock? If not, the blank on the far right can take a clock. Also, we don't know that there's something in the radio stack that can serve as an IFR clock.

Since we have a couple active threads on center stacks, I figured now is a good time to update the gang here and stir up any further comments.

This is what I have:
0D62FFED-6BF2-41FB-BBA8-3A6286A96D94.jpeg

And this is what I decided:
-JPI EDM-830 is going in the top spot, landscape view.
-The intercom control is going next to it in vertical mode (the backside of the faceplate is reversible for vertical mounting).
-The Hobbs meter is an easy 2 wire relocation to the copilot empty hole next to the 2nd DG.
-The Stormscope switch is another easy 2 wire move over to the left of the TC (already a blank there easy to drill a hole into).
-The altitude preselector will go below the transponder in the space freed-up by the Hobbs and Stormscope switch relo, and next to the ELT remote. It will be closer to the AP head now too. Assuming wiring will have slack enough.

I get to add weight instead of remove it. Was having to sacrifice something. The only downside is I use the altitude preselect to keep track of my “climb/descend and maintain” ATC instruction even when the AP is off, and now it will be tucked away out of line of sight.

Last edited:
I’d ditch DG 2 no question. Seems like someone just had a hole to fill.

Especially if you see a electronic DG/AI in your future.

Dual CDIs is something I would not get rid of.

I get to add weight instead of remove it. Was having to sacrifice something. The only downside is I use the altitude preselect to keep track of my “climb/descend and maintain” ATC instruction even when the AP is off, and now it will be tucked away out of line of sight.
First, congratulations on making a decision. How soon will you get to see the results?

Second, the part I quoted reminded me of a trip I took on Cape Air once. The Cessna 402 they were flying that day had two transponders. The pilot used the second transponder, in Standby mode, as his altitude bug. Maybe it's a little out of your line of sight, but at least your altitude bug was intended as an altitude bug. :)

First, congratulations on making a decision. How soon will you get to see the results?

Second, the part I quoted reminded me of a trip I took on Cape Air once. The Cessna 402 they were flying that day had two transponders. The pilot used the second transponder, in Standby mode, as his altitude bug. Maybe it's a little out of your line of sight, but at least your altitude bug was intended as an altitude bug. :)

Thanks. Results probably in August-September. I need to order some hoses and fittings, so will wait until my next oil change to drop the lower cowl and do some figuring. Then when the parts come in, will wait until after my CPL checkride to pull the plane out of service for an owner-assist install. My avionics guy has to get freed up a little, and one of my A&P friends too.

One thing is, ask the installer to do a "service loop" for the JPI.

That way, if you do a major panel revision, it can be moved without having to rewire it (LABOR HOURS).

One thing is, ask the installer to do a "service loop" for the JPI.

That way, if you do a major panel revision, it can be moved without having to rewire it (LABOR HOURS).
I believe JPI has extender cables available. They used one in my archer when I did my panel upgrade a couple of years ago when I traded up from a 730 to an 830.

I believe JPI has extender cables available. They used one in my archer when I did my panel upgrade a couple of years ago when I traded up from a 730 to an 830.
JPI 730 and 830 are the same unit with a different bundle of sensors. Should not make a difference on length of wire.

JPI 730 and 830 are the same unit with a different bundle of sensors. Should not make a difference on length of wire.
It does if you move it. My wires weren't long enough.

Back