Am I safe now?

A

Anonymous1

25 years ago, I received an incorrect mental health diagnosis that I never reported to the FAA. The guilt finally caught up with me, along with the correct diagnosis, and I went through the necessary evaluations last year. Long story short, I now hold a second-class medical with an SI, and I will be dropping to BasicMed when it expires.

They are aware of the omission since it was in my records. Can I assume at this point that there will be no repercussions (to my pilot certificate, perhaps?) due to it?

Well, you have a medical, after everything was properly reported, and have the SI, so if BasicMed will do the trick, carry on. (You don't need to wait for the 2nd class to expire to go BasicMed.)

Last edited:
IF you send them your records and it's in there, this will be "no bueno". Eventaully you will get the FAA demand letter which if cannot satisfy will result in revocation. :(. Then, no Basic either

The Feds always show "they are the big dog".

IF you send them your records and it's in there, this will be "no bueno". Eventaully you will get the FAA demand letter which if cannot satisfy will result in revocation. :(. Then, no Basic either

The Feds always show "they are the big dog".

Really? I already sent them my records over a year ago in response to the demand letter after my deferral. They issued a medical certificate and SI authorization based on the P&P, renewed both once based on my therapy records, then I let the medical lapse. You're saying they can still come back again and request more? Is that because the SI hasn't expired even though the medical itself has?

Really? I already sent them my records over a year ago in response to the demand letter after my deferral. They issued a medical certificate and SI authorization based on the P&P, renewed both once based on my therapy records, then I let the medical lapse. You're saying they can still come back again and request more? Is that because the SI hasn't expired even though the medical itself has?
"the quality asusrance division at FAA has become aware of....please send within 60 days of this letter the following..... If you do not respond we may revoke your...." it's just unvelievable. Soemtimes an airamn comes in with a demand for a 2013 document. It's doesn't exist any longer, becuase IL is a 7 year medical records law state.

"the quality asusrance division at FAA has become aware of....please send within 60 days of this letter the following..... If you do not respond we may revoke your...." it's just unvelievable. Soemtimes an airamn comes in with a demand for a 2013 document. It's doesn't exist any longer, becuase IL is a 7 year medical records law state.
I wonder why people are tempted to lie. No, no, I don’t.

So bottom line, I might as well stop flying because they're going to come after my pilot certificate since there's no medical to revoke anymore?

I have to wonder why people ever come clean. No records exist of my first diagnosis. I confessed on my own and got the actual diagnosis cleared by them. Guess that was pointless.

If I understand the OP correctly, he finally disclosed the medical condition and provided the necessary records to be issued a special issuance for the previously undisclosed medical condition. If they don’t ask for further information before his medical expires for any class privileges, I don’t see what they’re going to pursue after the medical has expired. If it’s an issue of enforcement action against him for fraudulent reporting of previous medical applications, that a separate issue that will likely butt up against the stale complaint rule depending on when he disclosed it to the FAA. That’s ultimately a legal question more than it is a medical certification issue.

And to clarify, the original diagnosis I omitted for so long (depression) was inaccurate and disproven by the P&P for the actual diagnosis (generalized anxiety, now resolved without medication, and apparently issuable).

Sure are confident in the outcome without knowing all the facts. You’re worthy of POA membership.
Are you responding to Bruce? I don't see what there is for QA to become aware of and demand that hasn't already been provided and evaluated. He disclosed everything and got an SI. Whatever he failed to disclose wasn't dispositive since he's flying after having disclosed it. Regardless, there's nothing else to do at this point, after he's disclosed and been evaluated and issued, so no point in worrying.

Are you responding to Bruce? I don't see what there is for QA to become aware of and demand that hasn't already been provided and evaluated. He disclosed everything and got an SI. Whatever he failed to disclose wasn't dispositive since he's flying after having disclosed it. Regardless, there's nothing else to do at this point, after he's disclosed and been evaluated and issued, so no point in worrying.
I agree.

It's completley unclear if the SI was for the event back then....he hasn't said. But he should NOT POST IT HERE.

Really? I already sent them my records over a year ago in response to the demand letter after my deferral. They issued a medical certificate and SI authorization based on the P&P, renewed both once based on my therapy records, then I let the medical lapse.
It's completley unclear if the SI was for the event back then....he hasn't said. But he should NOT POST IT HERE.

I'm confused also. We must be missing something.

To clarify, what Dr. Bruce is saying is that there was zero point in confessing to the omission, because even though they learned of it and issued, I have to worry about them changing their mind until I die?

Good to know for everyone else who's considering coming clean, I guess. Wish I hadn't done it.

It's pretty myopic to not see that the way the Faa medical system operates is counter productive. When the punishment for being forthcoming is at best nearly as bad, and at worst much worse than the punishment for intentionally omitting facts, what does any rational adult expect will happen?

It's pretty myopic to not see that the way the Faa medical system operates is counter productive.

I've never understood the process.

Pilot: I have a medical problem that will prevent me from getting my medical.
FAA: Prove it. Send us documentation
Pilot: Here you go.
FAA: You are correct. Medical Denied/Revoked.
Pilot: But I want to continue flying.
FAA: You must prove the medical issue you provided us proof you have is wrong.

I mean providing the documentation is essentially medically testifying against yourself. So if you don't have the documentation does that mean you didn't have the medical problem?

I need a flow chart

To clarify, what Dr. Bruce is saying is that there was zero point in confessing to the omission, because even though they learned of it and issued, I have to worry about them changing their mind until I die?

Good to know for everyone else who's considering coming clean, I guess. Wish I hadn't done it.
It appears to me that Dr. Bruce is suggesting you didn't actually confess. I'm not sure why he doesn't just say that or ask a direct question, but that's what I'm getting.

If you confessed, jumped through the hoops, and FAA issued an SI and medical, you should be fine.

It's pretty myopic to not see that the way the Faa medical system operates is counter productive. When the punishment for being forthcoming is at best nearly as bad, and at worst much worse than the punishment for intentionally omitting facts, what does any rational adult expect will happen?

FAA Aeromedical's policies and procedures also violate basic tenets of successful safety programs; that they should not be punitive.

... I went through the necessary evaluations last year. Long story short, I now hold a second-class medical with an SI,...
Hi everyone.
From the above extract it is Not possible the tell if the OP got his present Medical before or after s(he) confessed. I think that I am as confused about it as Dr Bruce.
Where do some you guys get that it is, and confessed on the active / present Medical?

Hi everyone.
From the above extract it is Not possible the tell if the OP got his present Medical before or after s(he) confessed. I think that I am as confused about it as Dr Bruce.
Where do some you guys get that it is, and confessed on the active / present Medical?
Why would you limit the context to that one extract?

Why would you limit the context to that one extract?

Hi.
I consider that to be the essence of the message.
Can you point to something that explicitly states otherwise?
It would be a good ida if the OP responds with a more precise wording?

Hi.
I consider that to be the essence of the message.
Can you point to something that explicitly states otherwise?
It would be a good ida if the OP responds with a more precise wording?
What do you interpret this as meaning?
The guilt finally caught up with me, along with the correct diagnosis, and I went through the necessary evaluations last year. Long story short, I now hold a second-class medical with an SI . . . .
Do you suppose he went through the "necessary evaluations" for some other condition and he told us for no reason? I guess that's possible but would make his question a complete non sequitur.

Do you suppose he went through the "necessary evaluations" for some other condition and he told us for no reason?
Hi.
I do think / believe that they are related.

But the statement:
>>Long story short, I now hold a second-class medical with an SI . . . .<<
Does not tell us when was that issued could have been 3+ years ago with a different SI?

I read it as, he confessed, jumped through the hoops, and now has an SI for the previously undisclosed condition. He just wants to know how to proceed in the future.

I read it as, he confessed, jumped through the hoops, and now has an SI for the previously undisclosed condition. He just wants to know how to proceed in the future.
Not even that. He just wanted to know if they might still come after him legally for the initial omission that was already rectified.

Hi.
I do think / believe that they are related.

But the statement:
>>Long story short, I now hold a second-class medical with an SI . . . .<<
Does not tell us when was that issued could have been 3+ years ago with a different SI?
Huh? You're speculating that he went through the evaluations last year to get an SI 3+ years ago? Is his AME Doc Brown? It's possible to be obtuse to the point of silliness. It's also possible to respond without carefully reading first. I'm sure we've all done it.

..You're speculating that he went through the evaluations last year to get an SI 3+ years ago? ..It's possible to be obtuse to the point of silliness. It's also possible to respond without carefully reading first. I'm sure we've all done it.
Hi.
Yes, I agree and your answer proves that.
As you can see everyone has a different interpretation about how original the message may be interpreted.
You also seem to be guilty of not respecting your own posted process.

What I said:
>>Does not tell us when was that issued could have been 3+ years ago with a different SI?<<

Do you know for certain that s(he) is talking about a recent medical? If true what wording gives you that certainty?
The possibility exists that either interpretation could be right?
The only one person that knows is the OP, the question is what is the real question that he wants the answer to?
Regardless of how we interpret it I think that the best thing to do is to be prepared to what Dr Bruce is posting in post # 3, very likely the outcome.

Last edited:
I finally see what Dr. Bruce is saying. He’s saying that even though the FAA saw the incorrect diagnosis, if I didn’t explicitly report it, it’s still an omission and they’ll eventually come seeking additional paperwork, which doesn’t exist, because this literally happened 30 years ago.

Ok. But what if my medical already expired (thought it good through this month, it was actually last month)? Can they come after my pilot certificate? Or will they invalidate my expired medical and SI retroactively, thus making me ineligible for BasicMed?

...If they don’t ask for further information before his medical expires for any class privileges, I don’t see what they’re going to pursue after the medical has expired. If it’s an issue of enforcement action against him for fraudulent reporting of previous medical applications, that a separate issue that will likely butt up against the stale complaint rule depending on when he disclosed it to the FAA. That’s ultimately a legal question more than it is a medical certification issue.

I finally see what Dr. Bruce is saying. He’s saying that even though the FAA saw the incorrect diagnosis, if I didn’t explicitly report it, it’s still an omission and they’ll eventually come seeking additional paperwork, which doesn’t exist, because this literally happened 30 years ago.

Anonymous2, bbchien is very knowledgeable about how the FAA handles medical issues. At the same time, I think that Brad Z knows a lot about how the FAA handles enforcement issues in general.

Ok. But what if my medical already expired (thought it good through this month, it was actually last month)? Can they come after my pilot certificate? Or will they invalidate my expired medical and SI retroactively, thus making me ineligible for BasicMed?

Referencing Bad Z's first sentence that I quoted above ("any class privileges"), are you using the second-class expiration date to determine that your medical is already expired? The reason I ask is that a second-class medical is valid for third-class privileges based on when it would expire if it were a third-class medical. (That date will depend on your age.)

(Note: I'm not an expert on anything; just reading what people have written who are more knowlegeable than I am.)

Last edited:
Referencing Bad Z's first sentence that I quoted above ("any class privileges"), are you using the second-class expiration date to determine that your medical is already expired? The reason I ask is that a second-class medical is valid for third-class privileges based on when it would expire if it were a third-class medical. (That date will depend on your age.)

(Note: I'm not an expert on anything; just reading what people have written who are more knowlegeable than I am.)

It's totally expired.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back