Medical

O

Options

Based on all that I am reading about the hurdles and risks with a medical, I am highly inclined to pursue a sport pilot. While I believe I would be issued a class 3, I was prescribed a short course of ssri during the pandemic. Have been off of for over 18 months, and probably should have never gone on in the first place. Live and learn.

For the recreational flying I will do - I’m just not sure it is worth the hoopla and risk to pursue the si, and I’m not willing to “overlook it” when I complete the 8500.

All that said - I intend to pursue my flight training as though I am going for PPL (hours, night, instrument, longer cc) as I am of the view that it makes for a better and safer pilot. My CFI is a ‘full’ CFI.

Based on my reading, IF in the future I chose to pursue PPL - it would just me a matter of taking the PPL written and PPL practical (and the class 3), as I would have the dual and solo req’s. Is my read right here?

Thanks!

Yep. And the little bit of prep within 60 days...

i hold the Sport cert. as i understand it you can't do the solo night work without a 3rd class sincr the SPL does not have night privleges. night dual but not night solo. the Sport cert is valid between the start of morning civil twilight and the end of evening civil twilight.

i hold the Sport cert. as i understand it you can't do the solo night work without a 3rd class sincr the SPL does not have night privleges. night dual but not night solo. the Sport cert is valid between the start of morning civil twilight and the end of evening civil twilight.

There is no night solo requirement for Private. You’ve been misinformed.

For the recreational flying I will do - I’m just not sure it is worth the hoopla and risk to pursue the si, and I’m not willing to “overlook it” when I complete the 8500.
For what diagnosis were you prescribed the SSRI?

This reminds me of something that i've always wondered as far as being a sport pilot vs PPL. If trying for a PPL you have to have your medical to solo during training however for Sport Pilot you don't have to have a "medical certificate" at all (insert Driver license here) so how would you ever get to the point of doing solo flying for a sport pilot license when you can't solo for a ppl without it. To me this makes absolutely zero sense and for me personally it's a moot point since I got dinged for 3rd class anyway and am now making my way through the red tape.

This reminds me of something that i've always wondered as far as being a sport pilot vs PPL. If trying for a PPL you have to have your medical to solo during training however for Sport Pilot you don't have to have a "medical certificate" at all (insert Driver license here) so how would you ever get to the point of doing solo flying for a sport pilot license when you can't solo for a ppl without it. To me this makes absolutely zero sense and for me personally it's a moot point since I got dinged for 3rd class anyway and am now making my way through the red tape.

Your confusion confuses me.

No medical is required to fly an LSA under Sport rules. So naturally you can solo an LSA without a medical during training. What doesn’t make sense about that?

Your confusion confuses me.

No medical is required to fly an LSA under Sport rules. So naturally you can solo an LSA without a medical during training. What doesn’t make sense about that?
I think it's more the question of why am I so risky without a medical that I can't fly a solo in that type aircraft during PPL training but I'm not so risky with my driver license flying that type of aircraft in sport pilot training. I understand the differences overall but I don't see how I'm any riskier in one than the other.

If you're receiving PP instruction in a LSA, you don't need a medical until you're ready for the PP checkride, you can be a "sport pilot student" right up until the last minute.

I have always wondered why a Czech Sport Cruiser requires no medical and why a 172 does.

I have always wondered why a Czech Sport Cruiser requires no medical and why a 172 does.

A lot of things don't make sense. For Sport Pilot your medical is confirmed by either a 3rd class or a driver's license. So if a driver's license is used in lieu of a 3rd class for Sport then why can't it be used in lieu of a 3rd class for recreational or private? Rhetorical question folks ...

Seems to me that Sport Pilot has proven that planes are not falling out of the sky at an alarming rate because of medical incapacitation.

Seems to me that Sport Pilot has proven that planes are not falling out of the sky at an alarming rate because of medical incapacitation.

Yep, and Basic Med has proven that bigger planes are also not falling out of the sky because of no 3rd class medical.

The whole thing is farcical. Much of it is rooted in very old history and outdated medical practices. And it's being run by an agency that hates change and moves about as fast as a flock of snails being chased by a herd of turtles across a field of peanut butter.

I was going to go LSA but I was too heavy and subsequently am now entangled in the wicked web of 3rd class medical deferral.

Because then Sport Pilots would be buying used 172s instead of new production LSAs. Follow the money.

LSA was originally conceived as a way to make all the fat ultralights legal. Then it expanded to include Euro spec microlights, with Cessna and Piper expecting to get in on this Next Big Thing... and incidentally killing ultralights because it eliminated ultralight training.

Well I’m a weightlifter. Kinda wide, kinda heavy. I just didn’t fit. Not even for flying will I quit hitting the weights. I actually tried on a sport cruiser and wow it was nice. But wow it was tight. And Dana brings up a good point I never thought about. If GA did away with 3rd class the LSA market would no longer exist.

If GA did away with 3rd class the LSA market would no longer exist.

Well, it would change things, certainly. Many LSAs can fly at weights and speeds beyond the LSA limits, and in fact do so in other countries. If 3rd class went away, some of those LSAs manufacturers would seek certification and sell their planes as certified aircraft at higher MTOW. They’ve been pushing for LSA increases for a while now.

I followed the proposed changes very closely and waited as long as I could but after a consultation with my AME I found out my case wasn’t that bad I decided to go for my medical. If the changes had been in place I would have never applied for my medical. The increase in MTOW will change the LSA world. But the changes seem to be taking forever!

Well I’m a weightlifter. Kinda wide, kinda heavy. I just didn’t fit. Not even for flying will I quit hitting the weights. I actually tried on a sport cruiser and wow it was nice. But wow it was tight. And Dana brings up a good point I never thought about. If GA did away with 3rd class the LSA market would no longer exist.
Well, it is not just about a sport pilot certificate …. LSAs are pretty much the only way to get a factory build , well equipped plane ( BRS, modern avionics ) that performs at the level of C 172 ( if you good with 2 seats, that is ) , does not cost $500 000 and it is not 40 years old …

I followed the proposed changes very closely and waited as long as I could but after a consultation with my AME I found out my case wasn’t that bad I decided to go for my medical. If the changes had been in place I would have never applied for my medical. The increase in MTOW will change the LSA world. But the changes seem to be taking forever!

Once you get the medical, you do get to go BasicMed and much of the world becomes your oyster.

When my medical comes in I will run to basic med as fast as I can. When I was thinking LSA I was going Sport Cruiser or Bristell but now will be flying Cirrus when the time comes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back