The Saga of Peggy: How Not to Get the Annual Did.

I know a guy who ended up completely restoring a plane - exterior, interior, engine and prop, when he started out to do some touch up paint.
That's not the shop's fault. The owner is a perfectionist and can't stop himself until the airplane is perfect.

I felt sorry for the guys that bought an airplane that was $20K cheaper, even though we tried to tell them that the more expensive airplane was the far better deal, having been cared for properly. The costs to repair that "cheaper" airplane were often horrifying.

I don't feel sorry for those guys. They made their choice despite the warnings they are often given. Usually, I also decline to work on their airplanes after the purchase because those people are often the kind of customers you don't need. Life is good when there is mutual respect between the aircraft owner and the mechanic. It also helps when everyone's goals are aligned.

That's not the shop's fault. The owner is a perfectionist and can't stop himself until the airplane is perfect.

That's kinda my point - you have to be really judicious about what you authorize or request "while we're in there".

I was very disappointed in the shop Savvy recommended for my pre-buy and annual. Also Savvy's advisor wasn't familiar with Musketeers and I ended up doing much of the research myself. In my case Savvy wasn't that much help.
All you're paying for is a name and the results are rarely better than anywhere else.

All you're paying for is a name and the results are rarely better than anywhere else.
I have to disagree somewhat with that. A shop with a good reputation, or a "good name" as we sometimes say, earned that status. They didn't get it by publishing a fancy web page and calling themselves excellent. They had to do good, honest work, in an industry where one disgruntled customer can easily blacken their name.

They didn't get it by publishing a fancy web page and calling themselves excellent.
FWIW: I believe the comment was directed to the 3rd party service that recommended the shop and not the shop itself.

I have to disagree somewhat with that. A shop with a good reputation, or a "good name" as we sometimes say, earned that status. They didn't get it by publishing a fancy web page and calling themselves excellent.
I somewhat agree with that. However, in every field there's always a politician that manages to inflate his credibility to a level higher than what was earned. Don't be swooned by names and titles.

It's unfortunate it took so long, but the fixed items (fuel tank leaks, corroded wing shoulder bolts, delamination) are safety of flight issues, common to older Grummans, and would have to be done regardless for the plane to be airworthy. The tanks and wing bolts are not simple jobs. The tanks especially. Hopefully everything was done right. I would have expected those Grumman-specific issues to be spotted in a pre-buy.

The first few annuals on a purchased airplane are usually pretty dear, as you fix up deferred maintenance from the last owner. It happens. Once you get it up to your standards, annuals should be more affordable and predictable.

So.... did you get your annual signed off?

So.... did you get your annual signed off?
I'm being told today is the day. I'll report back when I actually see the thing tied up outside the shop. That was the sign I was told to await.

I got the plane back from Annual today. Hooray!!

Then the new right magneto failed during the run up so I got to taxi back to the ramp…

Hurumph

Update: the bad magneto was caused by a loose wire in the new ignition switch that was installed during the annual. That part was repaired at no cost me. However, during the subsequent run-up the other magneto developed a “300-500 rpm drop.”

Looks like I will not be making it to Kentucky this weekend after all.

Judging by the relative speed that the Annual was executed, I fully expect to be back in the air on or about Labor Day. Cue the “whammy” sound effect.

Update: the bad magneto was caused by a loose wire in the new ignition switch that was installed during the annual. That part was repaired at no cost me. However, during the subsequent run-up the other magneto developed a “300-500 rpm drop.”

Looks like I will not be making it to Kentucky this weekend after all.

Judging by the relative speed that the Annual was executed, I fully expect to be back in the air on or about Labor Day. Cue the “whammy” sound effect.

Tell them to tighten the other wire.

This thread reminds me of an airplane I once ferried to annual for a brand new owner.

Poor guy bought the airplane as a student pilot to get his license in. When it came time for first annual, he needed a qualified pilot to fly it to the next airport for its annual to be done, so I assisted.

That was the last flight that airplane ever made:…

This thread reminds me of an airplane I once ferried to annual for a brand new owner.

Poor guy bought the airplane as a student pilot to get his license in. When it came time for first annual, he needed a qualified pilot to fly it to the next airport for its annual to be done, so I assisted.

That was the last flight that airplane ever made:…
So were you not as qualified as he thought or were you lucky she held together for the flight?

So were you not as qualified as he thought or were you lucky she held together for the flight?

I was just the pilot. Not an A&P IA. Airplane was passed a preflight inspection and was legal, but the annual likely uncovered a LOT of expensive work that was needed that exceeded the value of the aircraft.

I never heard again from the owner, but know the airplane never flew again and is now de-registered.

I was just the pilot. Not an A&P IA. Airplane was passed a preflight inspection and was legal, but the annual likely uncovered a LOT of expensive work that was needed that exceeded the value of the aircraft.

I never heard again from the owner, but know the airplane never flew again and is now de-registered.
Always eye opening hearing stories like that. And like the Cherokee that was corroded beyond belief but passed a pre buy. How did it stay together and how lucky we can be that it did.

Final Update: Peggy flew today for the first time post-annual as well as post-purchase. I stayed in the pattern and conducted 5 T&G's. Much like a motorcycle, she is most dangerous at slow speeds (on the ground). I'm told that once I get the hang of it, I will grow to love the castering nose wheel. Until then I'll taxi a little faster. Once I applied take-off power she is very docile and wants to go fast. On the fourth T&G, the nose wheel never touched the runway. Does it even count for logbook purposes? You decide.

Final Update: Peggy flew today for the first time post-annual as well as post-purchase. I stayed in the pattern and conducted 5 T&G's. Much like a motorcycle, she is most dangerous at slow speeds (on the ground). I'm told that once I get the hang of it, I will grow to love the castering nose wheel. Until then I'll taxi a little faster. Once I applied take-off power she is very docile and wants to go fast. On the fourth T&G, the nose wheel never touched the runway. Does it even count for logbook purposes? You decide.
Mains on pavement.... That's a landing in my book. Glad you're finally getting to enjoy her!

Rich Holt said:
the nose wheel never touched the runway. Does it even count for logbook purposes? You decide.

I think you should log it .5 landing...
If you're gonna do that, shouldn't it be .66?

Back