23 years ago played with the devils lettuce

Dubya

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dubya
Looking into a FTP @ATP. Ive been combing thru these forums the last few days and came across the class 3 medical cert. I have a marijuana possesion (class b misdemeanor) that is 23 years old. It did not involve a vehicle but my license was suspended. I was 18, im 41 now. Is this something i should worry about being deferred or denied over?

*First and only time ive ever been in trouble with the law

Since the preamble to the medical history is "HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE....", it is something you'll need to answer yes to on the form.

The AME will need to provide you the detail about "must you worry about deferral/denial", not us random folk.

I suggest a call to a local AME well known in your region as favorable to doing consultation visits (Where you ask questions about the process and your status).

Once you are provided the answer and guidance, then proceed with the actual exam.

They used social security to balance the budget back then. There's more but this is going into spin zones. Suffice it to say neither party is fiscally sane and we have a generation of age now that has never seen a balanced budget.
Definite deferral pending the Substance evaluation. Doens't matter if you have had nothing for 30 years. It's "how it is".

Folks,

The Medical Topics are not a place to be discussing politics or subjects outside of the original poster’s question. In the past, Medical Topics have been moderated more strictly, in an effort to curb unrelated/unhelpful commentary and we will re-enforce that if necessary. This message serves as a warning to discontinue this off topic, SZ-like chatter.

By the looks of this thread, some of us should have been deferred for ADD

I heard there is a bill in congress to decriminalize it will that change things for the FAA?

No. There are plenty of legal medications that are disqualifying.

That might be true but has to be a medical reason to disqualify. Alcohol use isn't disqualifying wouldn't it just be like drinking alcohol?

That might be true but has to be a medical reason to disqualify. Alcohol use isn't disqualifying wouldn't it just be like drinking alcohol?

But other legal (and prescribed!) drug uses are permanently disqualifying. For example, if you were ever in your life taking two antidepressants simultaneously you won’t get a medical.

“Legal” and “medically okay” aren’t necessarily connected.

This is true.

Like this morning. I went to take the bacon out of the air fryer, I learned that grabbing the rack bare handed will cause pain. Then the dog gets the bacon.....

Canine Horror Movie.png

That might be true but has to be a medical reason to disqualify.…
The question you asked is “what if Congress changes the law?” The answer truly depends on how the law is changed. Let’s say Congress passed a law that reclassified marijuana from a Schedule I drug to a schedule V drug. It’s still a controlled substance. Way too many variations to address them all.

.. Alcohol use isn't disqualifying wouldn't it just be like drinking alcohol?
Well…..drug and alcohol (broadly, substance) abuse or dependence is the behavior the administrator is required by law to control for. Substance abuse and substance dependence fall in the category of mental disorders as the medical condition. There’s also restrictions on consumption of alcohol prior to exercising certificate privileges and prohibited impairment levels.

Next, it’s generally accepted marijuana contains THC, and THC is a psychotropic substance, there’s also that hurdle to jump as well. The entire class of medications is not issuable by an AME and must go to the administrator for decisioning, at which time the underlying condition or need for use is what will be looked at to determine the aeromedical impact.

So I don’t think it’s likely the administrator is going to have any effective changes to their stance on marijuana were congress to take any legislative action on that subject.

The question you asked is “what if Congress changes the law?” The answer truly depends on how the law is changed. Let’s say Congress passed a law that reclassified marijuana from a Schedule I drug to a schedule V drug. It’s still a controlled substance. Way too many variations to address them all.

Well…..drug and alcohol (broadly, substance) abuse or dependence is the behavior the administrator is required by law to control for. Substance abuse and substance dependence fall in the category of mental disorders as the medical condition. There’s also restrictions on consumption of alcohol prior to exercising certificate privileges and prohibited impairment levels.

Next, it’s generally accepted marijuana contains THC, and THC is a psychotropic substance, there’s also that hurdle to jump as well. The entire class of medications is not issuable by an AME and must go to the administrator for decisioning, at which time the underlying condition or need for use is what will be looked at to determine the aeromedical impact.

So I don’t think it’s likely the administrator is going to have any effective changes to their stance on marijuana were congress to take any legislative action on that subject.
OTOH, If it's legalized, then there wouldn't even be a place to disclose it on the form unless you're currently using it as a "medication." So if legalization actually happens and the FAA wants to maintain its current position, it will have to make explicit changes to the process to do so. I think in a post-legalization world, it would have significant hurdles.

OTOH, If it's legalized…
Until a bill becomes law, the hypotheticals are just mental gymnastics. But thinking the FAA is going to greenlight going up in smoke or high flyin’ overnight is woolgathering.

Until a bill becomes law, the hypotheticals are just mental gymnastics. But thinking the FAA is going to greenlight going up in smoke or high flyin’ overnight is woolgathering.
It's not about greenlighting anything. The current Medxpress form asks about current medications and past illegal drug use. So if pot becomes legal, the FAA will have to either update the form or it won't know about prior (and possibly current) pot use.

You got a possession charge for pot that also took out your drivers license in 99’?

I knew quite a few people in the late 90s who smoked, outside of blowing it in a cops face, or something outrageous, not sure how you would in practice, get deposed like that. Thinking there was more to this story? From my understanding the FAA will want to see the paperwork from the police and courts, not just the deposition.

It's not about greenlighting anything. The current Medxpress form asks about current medications and past illegal drug use. So if pot becomes legal, the FAA will have to either update the form or it won't know about prior (and possibly current) pot use.
The arrest is an ever in your life question and I don't see how that would change.

The illegal drug question is a last 2 years question. so it's not a thing, it's the arrest that is a thing. Frankly I expect OP will have to jump through hoops to entertain the bureaucrats but he'll likely get through it unless he runs out of money or patience.

The arrest is an ever in your life question and I don't see how that would change.

The illegal drug question is a last 2 years question. so it's not a thing, it's the arrest that is a thing. Frankly I expect OP will have to jump through hoops to entertain the bureaucrats but he'll likely get through it unless he runs out of money or patience.

According to the MedXpress User Guide on page 58, the form requires reporting if you are "arrested, convicted and/or subject to an administrative action by a state or other jurisdiction for an offense for which your license was denied, suspended, cancelled, or revoked..." (among other things). So it appears that the reason the arrest is an issue in the OP's case, even though it did not involve a vehicle, is that his license was suspended for it.

…So if pot becomes legal, the FAA will have to either update the form or it won't know about prior (and possibly current) pot use.
Alcohol is legal yet the FAA specifically asks whether you’ve abused it because alcohol falls under being a substance that an applicant has abused or is dependent upon. The relevant FARs define a covered substance as

(i) “Substance” includes: alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics; anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics; hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis; inhalants; and other psychoactive drugs and chemicals; and…

So let’s say cannabis is struck for 14 CFR Part 67; it’s a moot point as THC is the psychoactive component and can also be classified as a CNS stimulant. Unless Congress also specifically addresses those things in the ‘legalize’ act.

Yep, you'd still have to answer about relevant arrests and convictions, but not use.

Yep, you'd still have to answer about relevant arrests and convictions, but not use.

We are just going to have to disagree, and this is why I started down this path acknowledging it’s just a mental exercise until such time as legislation is enacted and the CFRs are re-written.

You have exactly as much chance of knowing how the future will turn out as I do.

Alcohol is legal yet the FAA specifically asks whether you’ve abused it because alcohol falls under being a substance that an applicant has abused or is dependent upon. The relevant FARs define a covered substance as

(i) “Substance” includes: alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics; anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics; hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis; inhalants; and other psychoactive drugs and chemicals; and…

So let’s say cannabis is struck for 14 CFR Part 67; it’s a moot point as THC is the psychoactive component and can also be classified as a CNS stimulant. Unless Congress also specifically addresses those things in the ‘legalize’ act.

Is alcohol considered a psychoactive drug, or chemical? It would be treated the same as Alcohol if congress decriminalizes it.

Last edited:
Is alcohol considered a psychoactive drug, or chemical? It would be treated the same as Alcohol if congress decriminalizes it.

Have you read the bill you alluded to earlier?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back