Air Conditioning Effect Performance?

The AC in the Columbias is very effective and VERY nice to have! I live in Northern AZ (4500') and use it quite a bit. The design of the plane allows a lot of sun into the cabin. You can block it with tints or shades, but it's SOOO NICE sitting on the ramp with the AC kicking and seeing everyone else with their doors hanging open while trying to do a runup or waiting for clearance. I don't recall the weight penalty off hand (~50 lbs sounds about right), but you won't notice the power difference at all.

No. "Dry" means unsaturated. Not 100% dry. So, your comment, "No moisture at all", is not correct.
That's right.

There is the environmental lapse rate (standard atmosphere, useful average if no specifics are known), the dry adiabatic lapse rate (unsaturated air, i.e. anything less than 100% relative humidity), and wet adiabatic lapse rate (completely saturated air).

On a hot summer afternoon, the kind of conditions where AC is most desirable, it makes sense to me to assume a dry adiabatic lapse rate from the surface to the condensation level (cloud bases). It may get warmer above the clouds, but the air there typically has less humidity, too, which by itself will make it feel more pleasant.

- Martin

I never was impressed with AC in a GA airplane until I flew a GA airplane with AC. Wish I had it now.

A/C definitely affects my performance. That's probably why I like Dubai so much. They really understand air conditioning there.

Back