Cessna 172 down, Broomfield colorado

I saw this picture earlier and it looks like it just dropped flat down and pancaked.

Damn those post crash fires. I hate them.

In 1982, I was almost in time approaching a PA-28 in a schoolyard that had gone down just after takeoff. The pilot was alive but unconscious.

They're a cruel addition to the pain of the family.

RIP

I saw this picture earlier and it looks like it just dropped flat down and pancaked.
There can be some nasty winds at Metro. Windshear and downdrafts are not necessarily frequent, just common.

*Allegedly* This was a commercial student that was urged not to go by their CFI due to turbulence, but they went solo anyway.

Windshear for sure.

*Allegedly* This was a commercial student that was urged not to go by their CFI due to turbulence, but they went solo anyway.

Windshear for sure.
Do you know which school? I’ll be at Jeffco later today for a meeting, maybe get more details.

Do you know which school? I’ll be at Jeffco later today for a meeting, maybe get more details.
Western. Good school, great instructors, well maintained planes. I got my PPL there.

Listening to the tower, he had done a touch and go on the south runway, and asked for a full stop so he was switched to the north runway (12L). He had turned from base to final and then it looks like he turned to the north to land on the road as if he had a engine problem or something. He didn't make any emergency calls though.

Attachments

• 13b21abe0b31c553dda2b822d33d77ca.jpg
    13b21abe0b31c553dda2b822d33d77ca.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 29

Windshear for sure.
A single pilot 172 should be nearly immune to windshear upset; light wing loading anyway, below gross, flies at very low speeds. To stall it to the point of dropping in would take a spectacular and nearly instantaneous shear, or a microburst, or some pretty serious mishandling, I would think.

They implies plural, solo implies singular. How did they go solo?
As an ancient native English speaker from the heartlands of the British Empire, I'd say that "they" only implies you don't know the gender of the subject. "They went solo anyway" strikes me as reasonable English.

Listening to the tower, he had done a touch and go on the south runway, and asked for a full stop so he was switched to the north runway (12L). He had turned from base to final and then it looks like he turned to the north to land on the road as if he had a engine problem or something. He didn't make any emergency calls though.
To the north is lower terrain which makes it an interesting choice. My experience with a downdraft in nearly the same circumstance was to maintain heading while going to full power and pitching for best climb. I bottomed out near four hundred and rejected the landing. Tower called and asked if it was a training maneuver so I told them about the downdraft.

Anyway, if you stay on approach then the downdraft will hit the ground and bottom out. If you turn towards lower terrain then the downdraft might/will continue below the ridge which the airport sets on. It’s a tough split second decision.

There is a short runway 3-21 he might have been aiming for.

On second thought, looking at the trail, guess not.

There is a short runway 3-21 he might have been aiming for.

On second thought, looking at the trail, guess not.
Yeah, nobody aims for the crosswind except helicopters. I used it twice in a couple years flying there and one of the times was at night during calm winds to get the ten night landings in as quickly as possible.

"They is taking on a new use, however: as a pronoun of choice for someone who doesn’t identify as either male or female. "

All these years, I thought the proper term was "it". That seemed far more polite than oddball.

Back