Value of a new paint job for resale

AlleyCat67

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AleyCat67
Thinking ahead a few years to when I want to sell my Tiger. The current paint and interior is pretty bad. What’s the consensus - is it worthwhile to repaint & upgrade the interior prior to sale? Pretty sure the answer is ‘no’ from a purely financial perspective but I’m also wondering if many prospective buyers would be turned off by lousy cosmetics.

Not having ever purchased an airplane I would offer this.. If I was looking to buy anything used that had a fresh coat of paint I would wonder if they were hiding something. Maybe get it painted now and freshen the interior so you can enjoy it for a bit before you sell. Slightly used would sit better with me as a potential buyer.

Purely financial, I'd vote no, however,

I think planes with "fewer stories" (including "ugh that paint" as a story :D ) get more eyeballs on them -- so a "wider funnel" in sales parlance. More lookers may equate to, if not a higher price, a better term or quicker/smoother deal.

I'm tossing the same math around for myself right now on P&I, both of which are serviceable, but they could have voted for Bush Sr/Eisenhower respectively.

From what I've seen of pricing lately, every listing I've seen with recent paint, interior, or avionics thinks they can tack on the full cost of the upgrades to the sale price. If your intention is to sell it soon, leave it unpainted.

*Edit* Missed the "thinking ahead a few years." Paint it, interior it, enjoy it.

Last edited:
It really gored my ox to install a new dishwasher as we sold a house in 2002. The buyer got to enjoy a nice, new DW, the one I could have enjoyed for a year or more had I prioritized the purchase.

Treat yourself right, make your plane look nice, rather than the box-o-stuff that it's become.

When you go to sell it, you'll sell it easier, and have enjoyed it for the last years of your ownership.

It really gored my ox to install a new dishwasher as we sold a house in 2002. The buyer got to enjoy a nice, new DW, the one I could have enjoyed for a year or more had I prioritized the purchase.

Treat yourself right, make your plane look nice, rather than the box-o-stuff that it's become.

When you go to sell it, you'll sell it easier, and have enjoyed it for the last years of your ownership.

Yep that makes sense, although I can see merit in waiting a year for the looming recession or some other point where shops aren't booked so far in advance. Then again, every other aircraft owner is probably making the same calculus, so who knows.

I have owned a couple of airplanes buying and selling in my time. The rule of thumb that I was told, unless the paint or interior is brand new, like within the last year, 60% if less than 5 yrs old, and like 50% if older. However, as a buyer, if the paint is old, less than a 7, I figure in $20K to paint the plane, and $6K for an interior in my purchase calculus.

My thought on buying is if paint and interior look nice I think the owner took care of it.
I would definitely spend the money now and enjoy it for awhile.

Back in the day, an ugly airplane was a little harder to market than a pretty one. These days everything is selling because the supply is tight, but that may change soon if it hasn't already.

I also join the crowd about being suspicious of a fresh paint job. What was being covered up? Damage? Bondo? Corrosion?

Another vote for paint and interior and enjoy it.

but if I were buying, fresh paint and interior wouldn't impress me, I'd be more interested in structures. I'd also be concerned about making sure that quality work was done... kind of like a fresh overhaul.

Some sage advice here. Another vote to spend sometime enjoying it yourself.

We bought a plane with 3/10 paint and interior. What a ton of work for almost 2 years to get that done. 17 years later, interior is still doing pretty well (Airtex), but paint is starting to tell us to start planning paint again in the next few years.

I'd find a paint shop you trust and get on their list for 6-9 months out.

6C53004F-0CF6-4475-BA9C-BB83E37401A6.jpeg Just don’t put a bad paint job on it. Or paint or something off the wall like pink.

Last edited:
you might get $5-7K more for a nice paint job....maybe $10k if the interior and paint were above average. But, I'd not go hog wild making it look nice to sell. Take your lumps and buy up. That's what I've done and it's work out for me.

Now....if "you" want it nice and new that's a different story...but don't expect to recoup those costs at the sale.

Last edited:
Heck! If you know where to buy this: and where to buy beer, and have buddies that like beer, it’s as good as done!!!!

5CE830A1-781C-42ED-8101-4AD290637DF0.jpeg

(please…. I am making a joke….. do not consider this….)

The dishwasher analogy was right on for me. Do it and enjoy it then when you go to sell you will probably sell quicker with a higher price.

I bought a mechanically sound ugly 310 with old avionics. I spent years rehabbing the plane and a close friend did the same with his 340. We both agree if we had it to do over, or on our next plane purchase, we will pay a premium for one already fully upgraded. The hassle/downtime isn’t worth it to us and I’m sure others out there.

Agreed.....100%. It's also cheaper to buy it done than to make it yours.
The dishwasher analogy was right on for me. Do it and enjoy it then when you go to sell you will probably sell quicker with a higher price.

I bought a mechanically sound ugly 310 with old avionics. I spent years rehabbing the plane and a close friend did the same with his 340. We both agree if we had it to do over, or on our next plane purchase, we will pay a premium for one already fully upgraded. The hassle/downtime isn’t worth it to us and I’m sure others out there.

I’d do the interior first and give the paint a nice buff and wax. Interior you see for hours, the paint, minutes.

Agree with the other opinions, if you would enjoy a new paint job, get it otherwise sell it as is when the time comes. Everyone thinks their new paint scheme is great, but why not let the next owner decide what they want?

If you want to put money into your airplane that you will get 100% or more back when you sell, get the plane washed and either buy a good camera or hire @Lowflynjack to photograph it. The listings for really nice airplanes with really crummy pictures always make me shake my head and then move on to a plane that the seller actually cared about.

I think interior is easier to recoup than paint. Do the seats and carpets, you're not hiding anything and 3 yreas use is way better than 15 year old crap.

Paint is your own discretion.

Bondo? Brand new Mooneys have hysol 9394. HYSOL FIX ALL.

If planes are anything like houses, the only thing that you put into it that you'll get value out of in the sale are cleaning costs. Because buyers are optimistic, and underestimate the cost of doing any kind of improvement, and because whatever you do it'll never be exactly like what they would have done.

I don't know if that extends to things that are in disrepair, though.

The spray can suggestion is funny. That’s what the guy who flies with me suggested. I quickly put that idea to rest.

If you can find a plane like that that’s not absurdly priced - great .

I just did the interior in my AA5 for a grand total of 2.3 AMU. The hardest part is getting the back seats back in. Followed closely by removing all of the rivets in the back seat. Even if you are not selling it, I would recommend replacing the inside where you sit and smell things.

Thinking ahead a few years to when I want to sell my Tiger. The current paint and interior is pretty bad. What’s the consensus - is it worthwhile to repaint & upgrade the interior prior to sale? Pretty sure the answer is ‘no’ from a purely financial perspective but I’m also wondering if many prospective buyers would be turned off by lousy cosmetics.
Painting a tiger you say?
2c316cc0daa633f5f1f81e6cfc3eedc60ac9e998

If you want to put money into your airplane that you will get 100% or more back when you sell, get the plane washed and either buy a good camera or hire @Lowflynjack to photograph it. The listings for really nice airplanes with really crummy pictures always make me shake my head and then move on to a plane that the seller actually cared about.
I've had quite a few people tell me when they went to sell their planes that the photos I took are what got the buyer's attention. Even if you don't hire a pro, I agree with you, wash it and get some good pics.

There's a beautiful Cessna 185 on floats for sale right now and I'm trying to get the owner to let me take some pics of it... might help him get closer to the $795K he's asking!

I just did the interior in my AA5 for a grand total of 2.3 AMU. The hardest part is getting the back seats back in. Followed closely by removing all of the rivets in the back seat. Even if you are not selling it, I would recommend replacing the inside where you sit and smell things.

That's not bad at all. Did you use Airtex for the interior & performed the work yourself? That'd be my preference but unfortunately I don't have any access to a hangar.

That's not bad at all. Did you use Airtex for the interior & performed the work yourself? That'd be my preference but unfortunately I don't have any access to a hangar.
Yes, it was Airtex. It came in 4 shipments spread out over 4 months (they are a little busy) though. My wife and I did the work. The only thing that did not come in the box(es) was the glue for the carpet. We had to trim the carpet to fit around the fuel line under the pax seat, but everything else just fit.

100% agree.

It’s really hard to put a value at sale on any one upgrade, but taken as a whole they clearly add value and help get the plane sold, at least partly because there are buyers like myself and others that have been through the rehab process, know how much of a pain and how crazy expensive it is, and who appreciate a plane that’s already “done”. Maybe you don’t get every penny back, but I think you can count on something, and sometimes that makes the upgrade decision a lot easier.

Another POV - flying is an expensive hobby. Why spend all this money buying a plane, keeping it, training, buying gas, etc / and then worry about if new paint and carpet is a wise investment?

Nothing about this hobby is a wise ROI investment LOL. :)

I wish everyone would spend money on upgrades, interior, and paint....then my next plane will be much nicer. lol :D

Back