2nd pair of glasses required

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Anyone got a reference that requires two pairs of corrective lenses while exercising the privileges of your certificate with the limitation on your medical?

You are required to carry a spare set when flying internationally per ICAO. The FAA does not require this for flying in US. Is that what you were looking for?

Thanks. I could have sworn it was a U.S. requirement.

I've been told it was a U.S. requirement...but when asked for a reference, nobody's ever followed through. ;)

I carry an old set. It's an older prescription but it's better than no glasses

I need +2.50 readers for near vision. I, as a matter of personal safety, just carry a second pair with me in flight. Near vision lenses are stated on my medical as a requirement, but not that I have an extra pair with me.

The question asked if there was a requirement not if it was a good idea. I can vaguely recall an AME or two putting that requirement right on my medical but it's been a long time. I've never seen a reference for this so I will say that I don't know.

Edit: Thanks for the reference above. You posted right before I did.

Broke my glasses on a long cross country trip. Had to land at night with prescription sunglasses. Now I always have an extra pair of glasses in my flight bag. An extra pair my not be required but they should be.

I use my old prescription as my back up. My script barely changes from exam to exam but since I have vision insurance, I get new ones each time I get an exam. If my script were to change drastically, I would be tempted to buy an extra pair as backup though the cost would be out of pocket.

I suppose whether or not a spare set should be required would be dependent upon what your uncorrected vision is. 20/25, probably not. 20/200 yeah probably a good idea.

with so many "requirements" for backup in aviation, you'd think there would be a reg on a backup pilot (nevermind) or a backup airplane.

I'm not allowed to do VFR at night, so my prescription sunglasses are the primaries, and the non-sunnies are the backups.

Broke my glasses on a long cross country trip. Had to land at night with prescription sunglasses. Now I always have an extra pair of glasses in my flight bag. An extra pair my not be required but they should be.

No requirement for redundant glasses. The two restrictions are "Must wear corrective lenses" and/or "Must possess lenses that correct near vision."

Back before my wife had LASIK her vision was so bad the AME suggested she carry two spare pairs.

I've been told it was a U.S. requirement...but when asked for a reference, nobody's ever followed through. ;)

A previous company I worked for required the spare set to be carried. They never provided a source either, but since it was in the ops manual, it carried the weight of the FAA.

I normally get my glasses replaced every two years. The slightly older pair will go in my flight bag and the more older pair will be tossed or donated depending on the shape they're in after being in my flight bag for two years.

Anyone got a reference that requires two pairs of corrective lenses while exercising the privileges of your certificate with the limitation on your medical?

Interesting, have not heard that.

Oh great.... ANOTHER thing I need to carry in my flight bag.

It is a good idea, however.

I leave a set of glasses in the aircraft.never know when you might leave home in a hurry and forget your glasses.

If you have a simple prescription, you can buy a spare pair over-the-counter, or from one of the chain eyeglass stores. If you have a more complex prescription, do yourself a favor and skip the chain stores. Find a mom-and-pop optician (or optometrist) who'll fit them correctly, and get the optical center in the correct place.

One way to save a few bucks is have a regular pair dyed to 18% gray, and that'll get you a nice pair of prescription sunglasses.

In some states the optometrists run the show; in other states, the ophthalmologists and opticians have the political clout. Regardless, get to an ophthalmologist (medical doctor) every now and then. . . in the states where the optometrists have kept opticians from being licensed, the chains can (and do) hire people off the street to sell and fit glasses. No harm done on simple, single vision lenses. Not so good on progressives, etc.

If you break/lose/drop your specs, and you're myopic (near sighted), you can "correct" to some degree by squinting. Another way is to tug gently on the outside corners of your eyes (not the eyeball, obviously, just the skin around the outer edge of the boney orbit). Not ideal, but a great way to cheat on an eye test.

You may have also noticed that some eye charts are "standard" - the 20/20 line on many is DEFPOTEC, in case you're about to get your medical. . .

... Not ideal, but a great way to cheat on an eye test.

You may have also noticed that some eye charts are "standard" - the 20/20 line on many is DEFPOTEC, in case you're about to get your medical. . .

Why would you want to cheat on an eye test? Just get it fixed.

Class 3 standard is 20/40 corrected. If you can't do that, you're going to have a hell of a time spotting traffic.

Because just like hiding serious health issues from your AME, it's much more important to hold a medical certificate without limitations than to have an honest assessment of your health?:dunno:

Class 3 standard is 20/40 corrected. If you can't do that, you're going to have a hell of a time spotting traffic.
??? I don't. Someone else may on the edge of almost getting the 20/20, and like to do so. In general, there is no "fixing" less than 20/20. Can correct it with lenses, or have a procedure. I'd pass on sharp objects or lasers getting into my otherwise healthy tissue. But that's just me.

Because just like hiding serious health issues from your AME, it's much more important to hold a medical certificate without limitations than to have an honest assessment of your health?:dunno:

I think a second or third class medical is about as far from a serious health assesment as you can get, and still be in a room with a doctor. And I don't see how you plan to hide a serious health issue from your AME, without lying on the app?

But what works for you, works for you - for me, he/she isn't "my AME"; he/she is the FAA's medical front man. I just get to pay for the visit. I'm not kidding myself that a III Class contributes in any substantial way to my health or aviation safety.

Mr

I need +2.50 readers for near vision. I, as a matter of personal safety, just carry a second pair with me in flight. Near vision lenses are stated on my medical as a requirement, but not that I have an extra pair with me.

X2...I do the same. they take up no room so why not?

I use my old prescription as my back up. My script barely changes from exam to exam but since I have vision insurance, I get new ones each time I get an exam. If my script were to change drastically, I would be tempted to buy an extra pair as backup though the cost would be out of pocket.

Same here. My new glasses get worn, the previous pair winds up in a case in my flight bag. My prescription hasn't changed in a number of years, so this is easy to do.

So, would contacts count as a second pair of corrective lenses?

Again, since there's no requirement for a second pair in most circumstances, there's nothing to count. Except for things that ban contacts for the first set, why would a second set be any different?

Do you think you could insert contacts while flying?

I wear contacts but have a pair of glasses in the glove compartment, along with a spare set of contacts. If I have a problem with my contacts, I can pull them out and put on my glasses. Then at the next stop I can put in fresh contacts if I want.

As far as necroposts go…I give it a 2.

That is a rather myopic comment. No need to start a new thread. My question is directly tied to the OP's question and the regs haven't changed.

Again, since there's no requirement for a second pair in most circumstances, there's nothing to count. Except for things that ban contacts for the first set, why would a second set be any different?

I should have been mores specific. My questions relates to international operations.

Do you think you could insert contacts while flying?

Yeah, I could. It's a huge cockpit.

Personally, I don't see necroposting to be a significant problem.

Back