Weight Loss Meds

DJTorrente

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DJTorrente
Prohibited while on them, or prohibited for ever having taken them?

Is that also true of the hydrogel? The pitch on that one is that is in NOT pharmaceutical. You take a capsule of the stuff with meals, and it expands while it absorbs to make you feel full.

Is that also true of the hydrogel? The pitch on that one is that is in NOT pharmaceutical. You take a capsule of the stuff with meals, and it expands while it absorbs to make you feel full.
Plenity is not a drug; it's a medical device. It's right in their FAQ.

https://www.myplenity.com/faq.

There's no Medxpress question about medications taken in the past.

It's not that simple. If there is a record of you having taken a prescription medication that is indicated for a particular condition, the FAA presumes that you suffer from that condition, even if -- for example -- you are not currently taking that medication at the time you answer the question.

There also is question 19 that asks for visits to health professionals in the previous 3 years.

I did see that description of "medical device" on the Plenity website, but I hoped to learn what -- if anything -- the FAA has to say about it. I'll have to deal with the FAA if I want to fly, even if they are wrong.

DJTorrente said:
This is not about "what is right". This is about what happens and the evaluation of a long term condtion. For example, the combination of phenfluramine and phentermine is associated with the evelope of "Ebstein's Anomaly", which has lifelong consequences.

Many medications for weight loss and to stop smoking are just rebadged anti depressants.

Your first clue is when the advertisement says "may cause depression or thoughts of suicide".

Weight loss was just a side effect which drug companies decided to capitalize on once the original patent expired.

I find a interesting double standard when it comes to the FAA’s views on weight loss medication.
Now if you were to be a diabetic you would be allowed to take medication such as Victoza or ozempic with little trouble whatsoever.
Now is a diabetic you’re already an increase risk for stroke heart attack.
However if you were trying to lose weight, not a diabetic, you’d be banned from flying for taking the weight loss equivalent of Victoza called Saxenda or the weight loss version of Ozempic called Wegovy. All the dosing is different they can remain at the diabetic level of dosing and still not cause hypoglycemia and encourage weight loss to help prevent you for coming a diabetic. So medication’s at clearly the FAA will allow for someone who has a medical problem that can affect just about every body part you have that’s OK and isn’t considered “affecting brain function” enough to make a difference as a diabetic but it’s non-diabetic Nay nay.
In fact I find it quite hilarious the FAA will let you fly with a sulfonylurea- a beers list med in older population on board which can cause significant hypoglycemia, fly away!

I find a interesting double standard when it comes to the FAA’s views on weight loss medication.
Now if you were to be a diabetic you would be allowed to take medication such as Victoza or ozempic with little trouble whatsoever.
Now is a diabetic you’re already an increase risk for stroke heart attack.
However if you were trying to lose weight, not a diabetic, you’d be banned from flying for taking the weight loss equivalent of Victoza called Saxenda or the weight loss version of Ozempic called Wegovy. All the dosing is different they can remain at the diabetic level of dosing and still not cause hypoglycemia and encourage weight loss to help prevent you for coming a diabetic. So medication’s at clearly the FAA will allow for someone who has a medical problem that can affect just about every body part you have that’s OK and isn’t considered “affecting brain function” enough to make a difference as a diabetic but it’s non-diabetic Nay nay.
In fact I find it quite hilarious the FAA will let you fly with a sulfonylurea- a beers list med in older population on board which can cause significant hypoglycemia, fly away!

Wegovy is actually totally ok. I take it myself for weight loss and the AME had to look it up in the database but it's listed as acceptable.

@hartra344 how is it working out? Effective? Even after stopping (No regain)?
Very Very effective. Down 40 pounds since January with 0 effort put into a real diet. I eat the same things it’s just physically impossible for me to eat enough of it to not lose weight.
That said I’m not planning to come off of it so can speak to what that would be like. But considering I’m mot training myself to actually eat a different diet the. I’m guessing it would all come back.

Wegovy is actually totally ok. I take it myself for weight loss and the AME had to look it up in the database but it's listed as acceptable.
I stand corrected. I guess when I looked at it last it was was onset the 1 yr waiting period post approval.

Develop a thyroid issue :) Seriously, thyroid meds ramp up/down your metabolism and have a huge impact on your metabolism and therefore weight. Since my prescription has been adjusted, I'm finding impossible to lose weight.

To date, a small number of remedies supposedly help fight excess weight, but their effectiveness is very controversial.

Very Very effective. Down 40 pounds since January with 0 effort put into a real diet. I eat the same things it’s just physically impossible for me to eat enough of it to not lose weight.
That said I’m not planning to come off of it so can speak to what that would be like. But considering I’m mot training myself to actually eat a different diet the. I’m guessing it would all come back.

Friend of mine he lost about 80 lbs. on Wegovy but like you said once you stop taking it he put the weight back on and then little more then he had before. I lost weight on keto diet it takes about a 15-20 days to get adjusted to eating without the high carbohydrate meals once you get over that hump no longer have the craving for eating large carbohydrate meals. What I did was plan out my meals weekly I ate on a schedule I would not find myself getting really hungry then going for a high carb meal like double burger and large fries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back