I Want To Get Back Into GA Flying

Shuckers86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shuckers86
I would like to get back into GA flying. I grew up in the civilian side of flying in the early’80s. I was fortunate enough to transition to the airlines. I am retiring this year. GA flying has changed dramatically since I last flew a C210 in the mid ‘80s. I have 16,000+ hours and am currently a 767 captain. I have 25 years in glass cockpits but when I left GA it was round dials and paper charts/approach plates. Any suggestions? I’m 60 so I figure I’m young enough to transition back to my roots. Thanks, Mark

Mark, I am71 and just getting back to flying after 12 years. I have found that watching YouTube videos of flight training really useful. The series Angle of Attack and Aviation 101 are really good. There are others.

It’ll be like riding a bike. Just schedule some stick time with a CFI and go from there. You’ll need to flare a lot lower than you’re used to. :) Many GA planes have or can have glass with advanced autopilots.

Suggestion - find a local place to rent from or buy a plane. If you're current you could legally just jump into your own airplane, but I'd suggest teaming up with a CFI for a flight or two to get used to the smaller airplane. If you're renting, you'll be required to do a checkout.

The airspace is the same, you'll just fly a little lower. The only real transition you need to is to get back to remembering the more limited GA airplanes. Slower and with fewer bells and whistles.

As far as instruments, many aircraft are still round dials but there are glass displays. The biggest changes are going to be in the avionics - a wide range from "nothing" to whiz bang things that you can program to fly the entire flight for you and if you really press, there are even some autoland systems. Flight planners on tablets are probably the newest things so if you're up to speed there, it's just a matter of learning which knobs to twist and buttons to press.

What are your goals beyond staying involved with flying? Getting at what kind of airplane you want and what kind of avionics you need because there is so much variation.

Panels have changed a lot since you last flew GA planes, but the planes themselves are probably mostly the same models, tail numbers, and aircraft serial numbers that you were flying in the 80s. :)

(few exceptions like the Cirrus)

It's very easy to get a glass panel that's, if anything, probably nicer than what you're flying in the 767 if you want it.

First question is what do you want to do with your flying? That'll determine the rest of the decisions.

A few years ago I got back into GA after about a 10 year break, and @Radar Contact is right - it was like riding a bike. I joined a club with a couple of 172s and went up with a CFI for a few hours to get comfortable again. I had him treat the checkout like a FR and IPC rolled into one, and had a great time getting back into the swing of things. Even the sight picture for landings only took a few reps. Everything is happening at half the speed you're used to, so I think you'll be surprised how quickly you get back into a comfort zone.

The biggest adjustment for me was getting back into a VFR mindset and the airspace and flight planning concerns associated with that, as well as all the tools available online for planning, checking weather, TFRs, and so on. ForeFlight is pretty incredible. We've come a long way from dialing or telnetting into DUATS!

Have fun!

0FAB9F76-A656-4E2D-8637-6F9424011EE2.jpeg Thanks for the advice! As you can see our 767s are pretty advanced, I’ve actually flown three lately with under twenty hours. We even have a HUD which I hated at first but now love. I think hiring a CFI for ten hours would be the best course. I haven’t flown VFR in thirty years. We use the iPad for everything so hopefully the transition will go well with some help. I use YouTube for all kinds of applications so that sounds like a great place to start. Thanks, Mark

View attachment 95164 Thanks for the advice! As you can see our 767s are pretty advanced, I’ve actually flown three lately with under twenty hours. We even have a HUD which I hated at first but now love. I think hiring a CFI for ten hours would be the best course. I haven’t flown VFR in thirty years. We use the iPad for everything so hopefully the transition will go well with some help. I use YouTube for all kinds of applications so that sounds like a great place to start. Thanks, Mark
Your 767 cockpit isn’t far off from my buddies 310. You can get GA as advanced as you want now days.
93CE6F4F-47E1-4C97-9D8A-4BF60F453A16.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
Round dials rock!

A year ago I wrote on this forum asking for advice getting back to my GA roots. Since then I retired from the best career in the world, flying big jets all around the country and world, I’ve jumped back into GA flying. With my wife’s reluctant blessing I searched for a CFI that I was compatible with for my retraining. I spoke with five or so CFIs at my home airport before selecting one. I also took a Rusty Pilot course from AOPA which I thought was informative. I flew several flights culminating in an IFR cross country flight. I’m amazed at the proliferation of ForeFlight, Garmin equipment, GPS, iPad, internet briefing and filing since I flew in the mid 80s. For those of you trying to return to GA from the Part 121 world I can tell you this, a Cessna 172 lands NOTHING like a Boeing. Besides using my old call sign instead of Cessna/Warrior and reaching for the tiller on every turn while taxiing he round out is the toughest thing to master! I am truly enjoying the flying and I have a trip to Highjacker’s scheduled for Saturday. It feels good to be back!

View attachment 95164 Thanks for the advice! As you can see our 767s are pretty advanced, I’ve actually flown three lately with under twenty hours. We even have a HUD which I hated at first but now love. I think hiring a CFI for ten hours would be the best course. I haven’t flown VFR in thirty years. We use the iPad for everything so hopefully the transition will go well with some help. I use YouTube for all kinds of applications so that sounds like a great place to start. Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

That sounds like a plan… go for it and keep feeding us on your new journey..

Have a safe and happy flying.

Mark, welcome back to the only flying I've ever known! Glad you're having fun.

Congrats on retiring! I've only been flying since I was 50, I'm positive you'll be fine.

I think maybe the biggest difference, if you haven't been following along any GA stuff, might be regulatory. For one, there's a good chance you can do everything you want with basic med, and not have to worry about medicals.

Update on the “return to GA flying”. I have over ten hours and I get excited to just go out and fly touch and gos. For those of you who haven’t flown in awhile, jump back in to the cockpit. Make sure you select a CFI the is patient and calm. I also advise flying as much as possible to get your muscle memory back. I’m amazed at how many people want to go up for an hour or two. Flying to KFIN for lunch is an a beautiful flight along the ocean. Any suggestions for lunch spots in north or central Florida? Fly safely, Mark

Any suggestions for lunch spots in north or central Florida?

Williston, Winter Haven, and Sebring are all good. Arcadia will provide transportation into town where there are lots of restaurants and antique shops. I hear good things about Cedar Key but haven’t flown there yet.

Williston, Winter Haven, and Sebring are all good. Arcadia will provide transportation into town where there are lots of restaurants and antique shops. I hear good things about Cedar Key but haven’t flown there yet.
Thanks, I hear Deland is worth a try also.

Thanks, I hear Deland is worth a try also.

The restaurant there is a funky kind of place with good burgers.

If you have the time, stop by a couple of aircraft companies. U-Fly-it that makes the Aerolite 103 Ultralight and Aero Adventure that makes the Aventura II LSA Amphibian. Dennis Carley and Alex Rolinski at the respective places are good to talk to and another reason to stop at DeLand. I’ve got an Aerolite I enjoy flying and an Aventura HP kit on order.

Cheers

Back