Controlling Agency Using Garmin Pilot

JoeInCT

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joseph Szarmach Jr.
I use Garmin Pilot and mostly monitor the VFR sectional as I fly. In the days of paper charts, I could find the controlling agency for special use airspace on the back. Using Garmin Pilot, I can click on the airspace on the sectional and it will give me the limits, but not the controlling agency or frequencies. Anyone know how to get the equivalent info on Garmin Pilot sectional view that we used to get on paper charts??? Thanks in advance.

Click somewhere on the map and the circle of options will pop up, then tap on the airspace icon. It will list airspace limits and frequencies.

Click somewhere on the map and the circle of options will pop up, then tap on the airspace icon. It will list airspace limits and frequencies.

It is only showing airspace limits but not frequencies. It is a subset of what we'd see on the paper charts. I thought maybe the airpace was active continuously, so therefore it didn't have a controlling agency or freq, but every one I click on only shows dimensions of the airspace.

I use Garmin Pilot and mostly monitor the VFR sectional as I fly. In the days of paper charts, I could find the controlling agency for special use airspace on the back. Using Garmin Pilot, I can click on the airspace on the sectional and it will give me the limits, but not the controlling agency or frequencies. Anyone know how to get the equivalent info on Garmin Pilot sectional view that we used to get on paper charts??? Thanks in advance.
I dunno. But on Foreflight you just tap somewhere within the boundary of the SUA and it will give it to you. But it can be tricky. Avoid doing it directly over something else there like an airport because that is what might pop up. And it seems to matter if you do a quick tap or hold your finger there for a little longer. Try that. Or wait for someone who actually knows the answer to show up.

Does it make a difference how you click like I described above?

Ah ha! I went into "Map/Chart" and I changed the map from a VFR "chart" (the old school VFR sectional) to VFR under "MAPS". It now shows the freqs. Seeing your screen shots helped me figure it out. Apparently using the "sectional map" doesn't give the complete info when you click on the airpace boundaries. I like this map better anyway. So much less clutter.

Last edited:
Yes. If I am in VFR sectional mode, when I click on an airport, I can get the frequencies for the airport. It is only when I click on special use airspace in sectional map mode where I have the problem. I'm liking the new VFR map vs the sectional. Plus it gives me the freqs of special use airspace. I'm going to stick with it.

Yes. If I am in VFR sectional mode, when I click on an airport, I can get the frequencies for the airport. It is only when I click on special use airspace in sectional map mode where I have the problem. I'm liking the new VFR map vs the sectional. Plus it gives me the freqs of special use airspace. I'm going to stick with it.
Can you have them both up?

b, if you click on airspace when you're in the pattern, do u get the CTAF freq? :) :happydance:
If you make a checklist in GP it will auto-populate the appropriate freqs for you. CD/GND/TWR/CTAF, etc.

I chuckled too, because more than 90% of the airports hat I have landed at are more than 200 miles from my home field, and scattered over about 26 states.

Once I had the PPL, local flights nearly ended. When I started my Commercial and Instrument training, I had all the non instrument cross country required already in the log book.

Finding the frequency for the next airport flown over or landed at was a quick trip to the sectional or L chart. Cruising on the Victor airways, the L chart was much faster, as not cluttered by non aviation map features.

I believe the SUA's were easier to research on the L charts, too.

C’ept I do! ;)

I believe you. While you’re here, what about this which map stuff. Foreflight allows both maps to be up at the same time. Does Garmin not allow it?
Aeronautical would be what @JoeInCT was referring to as “…the new VFR map…”

upload_2022-5-12_8-22-53.png

I'm still not seeing the frequencies come up for SUA, only for typical airport airspace or ARTCC regions. Every MOA or restricted area I've clicked on has only shown the airspace limits. At least on the chart view it sometimes shows range control information with frequencies.

*Edit* Looks like the range control block is fairly unique to a couple of the ones at Stennis, may be why I was looking for something else.

I believe you. While you’re here, what about this which map stuff. Foreflight allows both maps to be up at the same time. Does Garmin not allow it?
Aeronautical would be what @JoeInCT was referring to as “…the new VFR map…”

View attachment 106777

Have you tried using Aeronautical and Street Map at the same time? For flying around VFR that's my new go to! Give it a try if you haven't

Have you tried using Aeronautical and Street Map at the same time? For flying around VFR that's my new go to! Give it a try if you haven't

I have not. I've looked at the street map once, but wasn't a fan. I'll have to take another look at it. Could be very beneficial when flying hard IFR and there is an engine out. I use iPad mini and spit screens are small, but I'll give the aeronautical and street map thing a try.

Bizarre though that the conventional VFR section map in Garmin Pilot does not have the equivelent info as the old paper version.

Back