Chipping Away at the 1500hr Rule

I see no reason not to. Other 141 training schools receive R-ATP exemptions, the only difference now is that the airline is sponsoring the school.

This is only probably getting so much press as ALPA keeps to their line that there is no shortage. "Nothing to see here"

"The Indianapolis, Indiana-based airline, which flies regional routes for American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines, wrote in a 15 April application to the Department of Transportation (DOT) that its rigorous selection process and structured pilot training programme make it comparable to a military pilot education."

I wonder if Republic's students will face the very real danger of failing out after every graded evolution like their .mil counterparts? I bet their curriculum won't include visual low-levels at 400' and 250 kts in a business jet. Lame.

Except that this is trying to get an exemption to match the military requirements rather than the 141/college requirements.

How many months or years does it take for the average military pilot to accrue 750 hours?

Just to point out, I am not arguing but asking a serious question.

How does a 141 college/school graduate, with 500-700 hours, get to 1,000-1,500 hours to get that first airline job?
What are they doing to get those additional hours?
What jobs are available for a low time commercial pilot to build those additional hours, besides paying out of pocket?
What is the value of those extra hours in the logbook?

Back in the day, there were a lot of jobs, flying checks, hauling night freight, etc., that actually helped produce some pretty qualified pilots. Those types of hours are worth their weight in gold.

Today, about the only answer is flight instructing, probably at the same school you just graduated from. The blind leading the blind in my opinion, but I digress.

Does 1,000 hours of trying to stay awake as your student goes around and around the pattern for the 100th time today really make a better airline pilot? 1,000 hours in which you rarely actually fly the airplane, and rarely leave the practice area? I personally don't see where the 1,500 hour pilot rule has done much to improve the quality of pilot, just the number of lines in the logbook.

It has raised the bar of entry for a lot of pilots, which has made the labor force that much tighter, which has driven up wages as airlines steal pilots from each other. In that respect, ALPA has attained their goal with the rule, drive up wages. But I don't believe for one minute that safety was the goal, just the speaking point.

Does 1,000 hours of trying to stay awake as your student goes around and around the pattern for the 100th time today really make a better airline pilot? 1,000 hours in which you rarely actually fly the airplane, and rarely leave the practice area? I personally don't see where the 1,500 hour pilot rule has done much to improve the quality of pilot, just the number of lines in the logbook.

I had this discussion with my instructor a few years ago and the following question resulted in interesting conversation. Who's the better pilot, the instructor with roughly the same hour, 1500 times over, or a 500-hour pilot, each hour bringing its own unique set of challenges (location, traffic, weather, XC planning, etc)?

I see no reason not to. Other 141 training schools receive R-ATP exemptions, the only difference now is that the airline is sponsoring the school.

That’s not what RAH is doing. RAH is arguing in the waiver their LIFT academy provides an equivalent experience as SUPT + line flying to 750hrs in the military. Timing wise, that’s a year of UPT and anywhere from 2-5+ years depending which platform. Shoot, even the Air Force understands that flight hour pre-reqs for a fighter IP may need to be drastically different than for a transport IP simply due to average sortie duration of a fighter vs C-17.

From RAH’s own petition:
As with the military R-ATP pathway, the Republic R-ATP Program has a rigorous selection and admissions process to ensure candidates are selected based on their aptitude to be a pilot. Once admitted to the Program, students follow a highly structured training curriculum where they train as a full-time employee. The Program includes pilot certification and training through supervised flight hours and centers specifically on training them to become part 121 air carrier, transport category pilots. Within the Program, students will complete courses in Advanced Airline Academics, complete Command Experience, receive a Republic mentor, and complete Supplemental Advanced Aviation Training to help them better prepare for a career as an airline pilot.
To uphold the rigor of the training, students will be assessed and are required to pass multiple knowledge and skill validation gates throughout the Program life cycle. Failure to pass any gate will result in the student to be transitioned out of the Republic R-ATP Program and continue through the standard ATP pathway.

The 51 page petition is available on regualtions.gov.
https://www.regulations.gov/document/FAA-2022-0535-0001

Last edited:
The whole rATP thing was a sham. Universities knew that their programs wouldn't be attractive anymore so they fought for the reduced mins. I don't believe that a 1000 hr CFI with a degree is better than someone who flew a job that had better experience gained and had 500-1000 hrs tt.

I don't believe that a 1000 hr CFI with a degree is better than someone who flew a job that had better experience gained and had 500-1000 hrs tt.

And that is my question today. What jobs are out there for the 500 hour pilot looking to build time and experience? They are very few and far between, and no where near enough to keep up with demand. That used to be where the regional airlines fit in, but can't now due to the 1500 hour rule.

How does a 141 college/school graduate, with 500-700 hours, get to 1,000-1,500 hours to get that first airline job?
As you noted, instructing is one of the primary means for getting those hours. There’s also hauling jumpers, towing gliders (my gliderport job got me from 450 to over 1000 hours), towing banners still exists. Biggest problem is that most people don’t see any of them as a direct pipeline to the airlines, so they’re just wasting time building time.

Or, they could get a job flying SIC in jets under Part 135. I see plenty of those come through with less than 1000 hours. But that’s typically not going to build time fast enough to get the seniority number that everybody wants, so obviously that’s not an option.
Acting as PIC, taking responsibility for the flight, expanding the variety of environmental conditions and mechanical issues they see, and making decisions related to the flight.

Back in the day, there were a lot of jobs, flying checks, hauling night freight, etc., that actually helped produce some pretty qualified pilots. Those types of hours are worth their weight in gold.

Today, about the only answer is flight instructing, probably at the same school you just graduated from. The blind leading the blind in my opinion, but I digress.

Does 1,000 hours of trying to stay awake as your student goes around and around the pattern for the 100th time today really make a better airline pilot? 1,000 hours in which you rarely actually fly the airplane, and rarely leave the practice area?
I’ve known a lot of pilots over the years who believe that “you can’t really learn to fly unless you teach it.” I don’t agree with that, but it does accelerate the learning process, and if anything is going to force someone to learn who otherwise would prefer not to learn, instructing will do that. But it’s still no guarantee.

I personally don't see where the 1,500 hour pilot rule has done much to improve the quality of pilot, just the number of lines in the logbook.

It has raised the bar of entry for a lot of pilots…
The bar needs to be raised for a lot of pilots. You may not see it, but it’s painfully obvious with the pilots we see at work. Unfortunately, regulations aren’t going to do that.

I don't believe that a 1000 hr CFI with a degree is better than someone who flew a job that had better experience gained and had 500-1000 hrs tt.

There is no requirement to be a CFI in order to be eligible for a 1,000-hr RATP.

Just to point out, I am not arguing but asking a serious question.

What jobs are available for a low time commercial pilot to build those additional hours, besides paying out of pocket?

At 500 hours you can go fly in Alaska until you hit 1500, and learn how to really fly an airplane.

Sheesh, you people. I'm all civilian trained and experienced and I know I beat out a bunch of military pilots when United Airlines hired me in 1979. I didn't have a degree either. My brother beat out a bunch at American the year before, too. He also didn't have a degree. So much for military experience when an employer applies unbiased methodologies to the hiring process. Both of us had built time as a CFI and as an aircraft owner. He had a Luscombe, mine was a Cessna 140. I earned an A&P license when I was in the USAF as a mechanic. We both gained experience in Corporate jets as SIC and earned type ratings too. I think I had over 3000 hours then. Is hauling checks better than studying the fundamentals day after day in order to find a way to "reach" a new student raising questions from a new and unique point of view? Ha! Nothing beats teaching the fundamentals repeatedly and then getting to practice them under the tutelage of a seasoned pro, be it a retired military one or another civilian (I've learned from both). Imo, but someone had to say it.

Last edited:
Sheesh, you people. I'm all civilian trained and experienced and I know I beat out a bunch of military pilots when United Airlines hired me in 1979. I didn't have a degree either. My brother beat out a bunch at American the year before, too. He also didn't have a degree. So much for military experience when an employer applies unbiased methodologies to the hiring process. Both of us had built time as a CFI and as an aircraft owner. He had a Luscombe, mine was a Cessna 140. I earned an A&P license when I was in the USAF as a mechanic. We both gained experience in Corporate jets as SIC and earned type ratings too. I think I had over 3000 hours then. Is hauling checks better than studying the fundamentals day after day in order to find a way to "reach" a new student raising questions from a new and unique point of view? Ha! Nothing beats teaching the fundamentals repeatedly and then getting to practice them under the tutelage of a seasoned pro, be it a retired military one or another civilian (I've learned from both). Imo, but someone had to say it.
Unfortunately this discussion isn’t about the difference between military and civilian experience at 3000 hours. It’s about the FAA having determined that a military pilot at 750 hours has the equivalent of a college aviation program graduate at 1000 or 1200 hours, as well as the equivalent of Joe Blow with 1500 hours, mostly in a Cessna 152. And Republic says that they can provide the equivalent to the military pilot training and experience in less calendar time.

Sheesh, you people. I'm all civilian trained and experienced and I know I beat out a bunch of military pilots when United Airlines hired me in 1979. I didn't have a degree either...
That’s not the crux of the waiver request. The crux of the waiver request is that RAH’s program provides experience equivalent to a military pilot training program + operational flying experience.

If you read the waiver request that explains how they intend to provide that equivalent experience, I think you would be asking a different question, one such as “Is that how the military does it” with a mixture of Pt 61 and 141 training to start off with? Does .mil make every pilot a first assignment IP? Is all .mil does is fly the magenta line with synvis for those IMC days? That’s the tip of the iceberg.

There’s a counterargument also; if approved airline pilots aren’t really much different than truck drivers after all. Why pay them so much money for so little work?

Last edited:
Is hauling checks better than studying the fundamentals day after day...

If by “studying the fundamentals” you mean whipping open the Part 141 syllabus and mindlessly following the preprogrammed lesson plan vs. hauling checks* each and every night no matter how challenging and adverse the weather/terrain because you have a schedule to make.

*fortunately hauling checks is no longer a thing.

If by “studying the fundamentals” you mean whipping open the Part 141 syllabus and mindlessly following the preprogrammed lesson plan vs. hauling checks* each and every night no matter how challenging and adverse the weather/terrain because you have a schedule to make.

*fortunately hauling checks is no longer a thing.
Anyone who mindlessly instructs should haul checks instead.

There is no requirement to be a CFI in order to be eligible for a 1,000-hr RATP.
I didnt say there was. But I would say the vast majority of the rATPs going to the airlines are cfis until they go to 121. So why is that cfi with a degree better than one without ?

I didnt say there was. But I would say the vast majority of the rATPs going to the airlines are cfis until they go to 121. So why is that cfi with a degree better than one without ?

What evidence do you have to support that position? And I thought we were talking about CFI vs. not CFI but it seems like you have changed it to degree vs no degree.

Y’all are arguing the wrong point. Take a step back; RAH is officially saying they’d like to do ab initio and get a regulatory break for doing so, all the while implying their program will eliminate non-performers. What they aren’t saying is those non-performers could just as easily stay in the program, complete the ratings, but just not get a special dispensation for 1500 hours. I’m guessing there will be a training contract with all this, too.

Last edited:

it seems like you have changed it to degree vs no degree.
No, you misinterpreted his original statement. He never said anything about being a CFI to qualify for an R-ATP. His position is that someone who holds a degree which qualifies that person for an R-ATP shouldn’t make them any more qualified than someone without that degree who has greater experience. Most R-ATP’s happen to be CFI’s coming out of their collegiate program and just burn up the pattern til they qualify.

He never said anything about being a CFI to qualify for an R-ATP.

I know he didn't. I did. His post doesn't make sense for the reason I posted previously.

I know he didn't. I did. His post doesn't make sense for the reason I posted previously.

Your smart and experienced. Why not focus on the larger issue at hand. Or can you see the forest?

Y’all are arguing the wrong point. Take a step back; RAH is officially saying they’d like to do ab initio and get a regulatory break for doing so, all the while implying…
that their program is as good as the military’s, only faster.

No, you misinterpreted his original statement. He never said anything about being a CFI to qualify for an R-ATP. His position is that someone who holds a degree which qualifies that person for an R-ATP shouldn’t make them any more qualified than someone without that degree who has greater experience. Most R-ATP’s happen to be CFI’s coming out of their collegiate program and just burn up the pattern til they qualify.
This is exactly my point. I flew a Piaggio at 1000 hrs and was very well versed in the Class A airspace, arrivals, departures and approaches. I wasn't by any means an amazing pilot but I couldn't qualify to fly an airliner while some cfi that had never even flown a Turbine aircraft could be a 121 pilot because they had a degree from a pilot university. Seems a little silly.

I bet this freight dog just earned some of those experience points. Only aircraft in the air for 100 miles, attempting to land in Anoka. When he made that tight circle at low altitude I was holding my breathe, as his groundspeed and vertical speed went nuts. I was so happy to see it start to climb again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220511-203553.png
    Screenshot_20220511-203553.png
    571.1 KB · Views: 37
This is exactly my point. I flew a Piaggio at 1000 hrs and was very well versed in the Class A airspace, arrivals, departures and approaches. I wasn't by any means an amazing pilot but I couldn't qualify to fly an airliner while some cfi that had never even flown a Turbine aircraft could be a 121 pilot because they had a degree from a pilot university. Seems a little silly.
If you can come up with a way for the FAA to write into the regs how we can determine who should be able to get an R-ATP based on individual qualifications rather than a cookie cutter plan, I’m all for it. But just having turbine time in the logbook isn’t going to cut it.

If you can come up with a way for the FAA to write into the regs how we can determine who should be able to get an R-ATP based on individual qualifications rather than a cookie cutter plan, I’m all for it. But just having turbine time in the logbook isn’t going to cut it.
That's why it's just a scam for the universities to suck money from students to save 250 or 500 hrs of experience

That's why it's just a scam for the universities to suck money from students to save 250 or 500 hrs of experience
Given that the best ATP applicant I’ve examined was a 1000-hour R-ATP, I’d say that’s far from a universally accurate statement.

Given that the best ATP applicant I’ve examined was a 1000-hour R-ATP, I’d say that’s far from a universally accurate statement.
There will always be outliers. That applicant was probably going to be prepared no matter what. Some people are just really good.

There will always be outliers. That applicant was probably going to be prepared no matter what. Some people are just really good.
Unfortunately they seem to have to be outliers to be well prepared for the checkride.

A severe pilot shortage in the U.S. leaves airlines scrambling for solutions

Excerpt:

The United States is facing its worst pilot shortage in recent memory, forcing airlines to cut flights just as travelers are returning after more than two years of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The crisis has the industry scrambling for solutions.

At least one lawmaker is said to be considering legislation that could raise the federally-mandated retirement age for airline pilots from 65 to 67 or higher to extend aviators’ time in the skies.

A regional airline proposed reducing flight-hour requirements before joining a U.S. carrier, and airlines are rethinking training programs to lower the barrier to entry. Earlier this year, Delta Air Lines joined other big carriers in dropping a four-year degree from its pilot hiring requirements.

Several U.S. airlines, including Frontier, are recruiting some pilots from Australia. American Airlines is selling bus tickets for some short routes.

But some airline executives warn the shortage could take years to solve.

“The pilot shortage for the industry is real, and most airlines are simply not going to be able to realize their capacity plans because there simply aren’t enough pilots, at least not for the next five-plus years,” United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said on a quarterly earnings call in April.

Kirby estimated the regional airlines United works with currently have about 150 airplanes grounded because of the pilot shortage....​

If every new pilot flew one hour a day towards their 1,500 required hours, they would all have 1,500 hrs before the FAA got around to doing anything.

Sadly, you're right.

That’s right Jimmy, for $200 per day you can be an airline pilot in 1500 days. Then you can earn $45,000 per year in a city not of your choice to sit reserve for a possible flight opportunity. That’s right, act now.*

*pulse required

Back