Jake Simpson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cvgaviation
Good evening everyone,

Was doing the first oil change after 50hrs on my 1969 Arrow 200 (IO360 C1C). I unscrewed the gold cap of the drain plug and pushed up on the inner cylinder to let the oil drain. All was fine and the oil came out, however once I went to let the plug down it just won't come down, see the pics to see the position it was in before draining after cap removal (all the day down) and while it was draining (about half up). I've tried a flathead and allen wrench to push it up and it goes up, and tried to twist it but it just won't come back down from that half up position. Obviously I can't put the new oil in until that cylinder comes back down. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6356.jpeg
    IMG_6356.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 60
however once I went to let the plug down it just won't come down
So, you are going to have to remove the drain plug and get the chip out from under the O ring.

But I ain't no A&P so you will probably render your aircraft unairworthy if you read this.

So, you are going to have to remove the drain plug and get the chip out from under the O ring.

But I ain't no A&P so you will probably render your aircraft unairworthy if you read this.
It looks like bent metal to me. Replace. They are comparatively cheap. 1 hr shop labor.

Looks like this one below. Scroll down to the part about the Arrow. Looks like you need an adapter tool.

https://www.saf-air.com/products/oil-valves.html

I think you are correct. This is the shorter version that does not have the integral hose nipple. It’s a 2 piece where you attach the hose nipple after uncapping the drain valve. Then you use the nipple to open the valve, and also to close it, then remove and recap when ready to fill.

I remember reading a few years ago that there was so little room when the nose gear retracted that the integral nipple version could get pushed open and lose oil in flight.

See if you can find the nipple hiding somewhere in the cabin.

Last edited:
Back