Porsche rant

My biggest complaint with Porsche is that I don't fit in most of their fun cars. Sure I can get into the Cayenne or the Macan. But this 6'6" 340lb guy wants to drive the Cayman GT4 RS. To be fair though I also don't fit in a Viper.

My biggest complaint with Porsche is that I don't fit in most of their fun cars. Sure I can get into the Cayenne or the Macan. But this 6'6" 340lb guy wants to drive the Cayman GT4 RS. To be fair though I also don't fit in a Viper.

Try a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. You’ll fit just fine, and it’s an E-ticket ride.

Yeah, the big thing with the Cobra is if you build it… it takes time. And if you buy it, they’re all different.

I know, I need to keep working on it…

Presumably you’re too busy wrenching on the race car....

;)

Reactions: Ted
Presumably you’re too busy wrenching on the race car....

;)

That’s absolutely been the priority. And it’s really pretty close…

Try a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. You’ll fit just fine, and it’s an E-ticket ride.
Oh I know I fit in the Hellcat. And they have this nice box that perfectly fits any and all fast driving awards that you earn.

I sat on the porshe, watching the Porsche drive by.

I'm an American so it's porsh and the president of China is Ex-eye Jin-ping

Makes me glad that I replaced the 2013 Ford Escape with a 2021 Ford Escape. The dealer has been fine. No problems with them at all.

Hehe. I just want a quality car that doesn’t need the dealer ;)

Insert joke about it being all fun and games until your friends see you riding in it, lol.

Build/buy a factory five Cobra and have some real fun. I'd say ask @Ted about it, but he doesn't know much about driving them at this point . . .

UTTQ44208DDRASB6-v1-fill810x415x

My father had two different Porsches, a 1972 911T, and a 1982 911SC. Both were quite reliable, but needed regular maintenance. The tradeoff was a unique driving experience. If you really like driving, especially sporting driving, you may find that a Porsche is to your liking. If driving isn't your thing, then don't buy a Porsche. My wife is looking for a compact luxury SUV, and her first choice as of now is a Lexus. She's looking for comfort and reliability, not sportiness.

The car I'm driving now has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever had experienced. Its operating cost has been outstandingly low. I know my new Cayman will be considerably more expensive to operate and will require more maintenance. I'm OK with that, because driving is my thing. I would never buy an expensive watch or a $100 bottle of wine, those things aren't important to me, but the Cayman is.

Last edited:
Haven't so much as sat in a Porsche, so know nothing about them. My 2012 Honda Accord, and 2014 Ford F150 have been reliable.

If you want a car that's dead reliable and just drives, then your Honda or Toyota or - in my case - F150 is fine.

If you want something that will move your soul, bring you joy, make you love driving, and yes, occasionally break your heart -- then there's Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, and the rest. Some of those will work just as well if you're just a complete masochist and appreciate having your life ruined.

It's like the difference between the perfect wife, and a coke-snorting insanely hot model with a psyco convict ex-boyfriend. Except you can have both at the same time, and the Honda won't leave you.

The burdens if the near wealthy. I am glad that this is your biggest issue.

If you want a car that's dead reliable and just drives, then your Honda or Toyota or - in my case - F150 is fine.

If you want something that will move your soul, bring you joy, make you love driving, and yes, occasionally break your heart -- then there's Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, and the rest. Some of those will work just as well if you're just a complete masochist and appreciate having your life ruined.

It's like the difference between the perfect wife, and a coke-snorting insanely hot model with a psyco convict ex-boyfriend. Except you can have both at the same time, and the Honda won't leave you.
If you want something reliable that will move your soul there are corvettes and mustangs available.

Oh yes. Those too.

I have fallen in love with the new corvette. I’ll probably buy a nice 2022 model in 2032. That will be about right. Mid fifties, ridding around below the speed limit in my ten year old corvette headed to the cigar lounge.

I was very impressed when I drove a C8. No manual transmission, but it is clearly a very well engineered car.

The Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. etc. are all also good cars that are more fun to drive than your standard econoboxes, reliable, and affordable depending on which flavor you like. Or buy a Charger if you want some more practicality.

Of course you can spend as much money as you want, and there are benefits to the more expensive cars (just as there are benefits to the less expensive ones), but these days there's certainly no shortage of options for fun-to-drive cars.

Well, you can always buy another one. Or how about a blimp? I don't think you have tried that yet.

I'm still happily on a hiatus from flying. I'll get back in at some point probably, but enjoying the ground-based vehicles for now. :)

Solid rant overall!

Drove out west, electrical issue, had to be towed 4 hours. Dealer tried to say it was a rodent due to Covid and I would need to pay. They ended up covering it yet they did not cover returning the vehicle to me.

I’m confused about this part - are you saying the dealer lied about rodent damage or you expect the dealer/manufacturer to warranty rodent damage? Because the latter doesn’t make sense. Also what does covid have to do with rodents?

It sounds like you have had a rough go with your car and dealer which is unfortunate but not typical. With every statistical distribution, there are outliers and you seem to be in the unfortunate outlier camp. While Porsche does not build cars primarily for reliability and they will never be Toyota-level reliable, they are objectively better than a lot of their peers (think Jaguar, BMW, RR, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc..) and most people have a perfectly reasonable maintenance service experience. I have owned lots of Porsches over the past two decades (currently have 4 of them) and they have all been very reliable (hopefully I haven’t just cursed myself)…

While Porsche does not build cars primarily for reliability and they will never be Toyota-level reliable, they are objectively better than a lot of their peers (think Jaguar, BMW, RR, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc..) and most people have a perfectly reasonable maintenance service experience. I have owned lots of Porsches over the past two decades (currently have 4 of them) and they have all been very reliable (hopefully I haven’t just cursed myself)…

I think this is fair. I've read it said before that Porsche owners will brag about how many miles their cars have where Ferrari owners will brag about how few miles their cars have. Oversimplification and of course not always true, but there's something to that - similar to BMW motorcycles. Fairly hard to find a used BMW motorcycle out there, even fairly new ones, with under 50k miles on the clock.

By comparison, we aren't expecting the Alfa to be trouble-free. Approaching 2k miles with no dealer visits... yet :)

My father had two different Porsches, a 1972 911T, and a 1982 911SC. Both were quite reliable, but needed regular maintenance. The tradeoff was a unique driving experience. If you really like driving, especially sporting driving, you may find that a Porsche is to your liking. If driving isn't your thing, then don't buy a Porsche. My wife is looking for a compact luxury SUV, and her first choice as of now is a Lexus. She's looking for comfort and reliability, not sportiness.

I currently have a 1980 911SC Weissach and a 2000 Mustang Cobra R. The "R" is faster in every measurable category, however, I drive the 911 much more often as I feel it is one of the most rewarding cars to "get right". I had a 1984 911 prior and it is my only automotive regret as far as cars I shouldn't have sold. The 911 is the only car I've had two of and I believe I'm nearing 50 cars in my lifetime so far. Suffice it to say, I love those silly German cars. :)

That's a better question for @tonycondon - sold the balloon about a year ago.

I have friends who tow their glider trailer with a Challenger. I don't think its a hellcat, just a plain jane one. Although glider trailers are pretty streamlined and low profile.

For the balloon I got a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer from Trailers Plus. It is the smallest possible trailer that will still fit a sport balloon system with fan etc. I tow it with my Subaru Outback 3.6 L that just clicked over 275,000 miles. It is a box though and the gas mileage on the highway is pretty bad...

Back