Theaters

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Who goes any more. I do occasionally. I kinda liked the Theater experience. But any more it's kinda depressing. Usually just a few people there. No big round of laughter when something funny happens. And mostly just a bunch of old folk like me. BUT!!!! Top Gun is out in a coupla weeks. So. Who plans on doing the Theater thang for Top Gun?

I hated the theatre before Covid. Now movies suck even more than they did then. The writing is just God awful, and everything has to be a moral message, not a hidden one, but one bashing you over the head the entire movie. Even if I agree with the message it's annoying as hell, and if I don't it ruins what little enjoyment I might have gotten. And the vibe of the crowd is definitely different. I’ll watch at home.

Last edited:
We will definitely go to see TG2 in a theatre. Ours has decent food as well. I still like going but so few good movies. I think we will see Thor Love and Thunder at the theatre (but only if reviews are strong). But no more Marvel stuff. They were getting bad before Endgame an anything afterwards now is really, really bad. Like too much Star Trek or anything else.

We had a theatre around here that would occasionally run 70mm films projected - that was awesome! I want more of that. It would be awesome to see Skyfall or Spectre on 70mm film. Same goes from some of the Nolan movies. Saw Interstellar on 70mm and was very cool. Actually, if I could see any movie projected on 70mm film would be Its A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World :)

Thinking about upgrading to a 4K projector at home :)

There’s a local theater by us that sells tickets for $8. It’s a small movie theater with about 4 rooms, no stadium seats and no frills but it’s cheap. Concessions are reasonable as well. Last movie I saw was the new Batman. I was posses because HBO Max had it streaming 2 weeks later after I saw it in theaters. Next movie will be the new doctor strange.

Been probably 3 years for me. I always enjoyed the latest movies in the 90s and 00s. Every Friday night we were going to watch something.

Todays movies are full of filth, immorality, and are agenda based. No thanks.

Turner Classics occasionally has classic movies running in theaters and it's pretty cool to see something like Casablanca or a Hitchcock thriller on the big screen. Most modern movies suck, substituting FX and explosive spectacles for plots and good writing.

Filthy environment, kids either non-stop yakking or on their phone, insane amount of ads, audio that will blast your tympanic membranes to bits, stink of popcorn, can't pause it and go to the men's room. That said, I have been known to visit an Imax every 10 years.

Filthy environment, kids either non-stop yakking or on their phone, insane amount of ads, audio that will blast your tympanic membranes to bits, stink of popcorn, can't pause it and go to the men's room. That said, I have been known to visit an Imax every 10 years.

That's another nice thing about TCM's screening of classics: totally different audience. No kids, mostly a 40+ crowd who want to enjoy a fine old movie.

The wife and I used to go quite a bit, that was our "date night". We stopped going when COVID hit obviously. We have gone back once since then, but the prices sure have skyrocketed. We may go to Top Gun, but will have to see.

2000+/- sounds about right for the last time I went to one. Back when the alternative was a small, grainy raster image and a single tinny sounding speaker, movie theaters were an attractive option.

Occasional blockbusters in IMAX 3D. Otherwise I watch everything at home. We go maybe once every couple of years.

We used to go a few times a year. Even more after we started going to Alamo Drafthouse; decent food, good beer, and a movie for a relatively reasonable cost. It's gotten less and less frequent, not because of COVID or anything. More because the number of movies I'd pay to watch in a movie has declined to near zero. I mean, how many times can someone come up with yet another "new" Batman or Spiderman interpretation? I don't care about comic books because I never read them as a kid. Neither my wife nor I like horror movies, and the rest seem to all be either beating you over the head with some social agenda, or so incredibly and egregiously racist that I can't even stand to see the ads, let alone the movie.

On those rare occasions a new movie comes out that we do want to watch, the 65" OLED and decent speakers does the job. We can usually stream it within a couple weeks of the theater release, for a fraction of the cost, and we get to have our own snacks.

And I'll throw in the obligatory "get off my lawn", I guess.

Pre-covid, maybe twice a year, for a new blockbuster or such. I prefer later in the showing week, once the initial crowd has thinned, and no way am I standing in line around the block for tickets.
And, they're way too loud, even if the story is a romantic comedy or something without explosions...been taking foam earplugs to the movies for years. Add the $12 popcorn factor, and after awhile, what's the point?

When I was a kid there was a walk in outdoor theater. It cost a quarter, sit on benches, bring your own refreshments and enjoy the fresh night air.

Then as a teenager, drive ins were still the popular place for teenagers to hang out and .....

CJane and I went to see a movie a few weeks ago (The Lost City, good fluffy fun plus, Sandra Bullock, so hubba) at the movie house in Fredericksburg.

We were the
Only
Ones
In
The
Theater.

Effectively, a private screening.

I found myself wondering: if we hadn't shown up, would they have played the show anyway? I'm thinking, maybe yes, because so much is automated.

We went to the local multiplex (18 screens) for The Matrix Resurrections (first in 2years) on the Tuesday (discount) night of opening week. Only ones in that theatre. Three cars in the lot when we walked out.
Went to Father Stu two weeks ago - someone gave us tickets to go as a group. Four in the group showed up and we were the only ones in the theatre. Good movie BTW for both Wahlburg and Gibson.

I was really looking forward to the release of No Time to Die last year. I happened to be in my home town out west when it opened, on a Friday. I never rush out to see a movie right after it opens, but I gave in and went to an evening showing at the local multiplex on Sunday...three days after this much-anticipated film dropped.

I was the only one in the theater. I picked sixth row, center seat--best seat in the house in my estimation--and at no point in the movie did another person enter the theater.

I don't understand it, but it was pretty cool...

Not so much for the theater, I'm sure.

I hated the theatre before Covid. Now movies suck even more than they did then. The writing is just God awful, and everything has to be a moral message, not a hidden one, but one bashing you over the head the entire movie. Even if I agree with the message it's annoying as hell, and if I don't it ruins what little enjoyment I might have gotten. And the vibe of the crowd is definitely different. I’ll watch at home.
I agree, and to add to that: everything now is also multi-racial...look, I'm all for inclusion, but not every story MUST include all races, mixed race couples, etc. If Hollywood now made a story about 2000 B.C. island of Japan, there would have to be a black guy in it. (And for those that think I'm race bashing, I'm not white).

I agree, and to add to that: everything now is also multi-racial...look, I'm all for inclusion, but not every story MUST include all races, mixed race couples, etc. If Hollywood now made a story about 2000 B.C. island of Japan, there would have to be a black guy in it. (And for those that think I'm race bashing, I'm not white).
I tried watching Discovery; most of the Star Trek's are preachy (while simultaneously being hypocritical. They break the prime directive more than we break speeding limits. I mean, it's only the PRIME directive, toss it out whenever it suits you), but man, it's like they are adding a new character every week with something even crazier than before. I mean, a black gay guy with a white partner was way too mainstream, so let's extend it to every gender dysphoria cause we can possibly dream up. The stories suck too.

I think the popularity of sitting in a theater is waning. The threat of having to wait (sometimes) a year for the movie to come out on VHS/DVD/Bluray is gone. The movie releases at nearly the same time on whatever streaming service owns the rights. You get to enjoy it in the comfort of your own home whenever you want, with whomever you want, and for $5-$16 bucks a month depending on the service.

I tried watching Discovery; most of the Star Trek's are preachy (while simultaneously being hypocritical. They break the prime directive more than we break speeding limits. I mean, it's only the PRIME directive, toss it out whenever it suits you), but man, it's like they are adding a new character every week with something even crazier than before. I mean, a black gay guy with a white partner was way too mainstream, so let's extend it to every gender dysphoria cause we can possibly dream up. The stories suck too.

OTOH, if it weren't for inter-species copulation there would be no Spock. :)

The PD was a mistake as it unnecessarily restricted plot lines and forced writers to come up with hokey devices and excuses to get around it.

I only go to the theater for action movies where the sound and large screen would be better than I can do at home, which the Marvel movies have been pretty good for lately.

I don't need to pay the exorbitant fees to watch Sandra Bullock crying on a large screen (sorry... apparently I haven't recovered from my Hope Floats experience in high school).

I have gone more this year than the last 5 years combined. Saw some good movies and some duds. I still like the experience, and maybe its because I go in the afternoon, people are respectful and quiet.

I did see the 25th anniversary showing of The Fifth Element. The theater was packed for it on a Wednesday night showing. Same with the Sunday showing of The Batman.

I will see TG2 in the theater. Probably a few times.

I have gone more this year than the last 5 years combined. Saw some good movies and some duds. I still like the experience, and maybe its because I go in the afternoon, people are respectful and quiet.

I did see the 25th anniversary showing of The Fifth Element. The theater was packed for it on a Wednesday night showing. Same with the Sunday showing of The Batman.

I will see TG2 in the theater. Probably a few times.
Wow. Packed theater. I haven’t seen that going back to a couple years before Covid. Netflixhuluapple and all them things were already showing their impact on theaters. Saw CODA after it won best picture. Not even half full.

I wouldn't expect many folks to go to the movies in the last couple of years. With a few exceptions, there just hasn't been product. That is slowly starting to change. At the same time, the film companies are still trying to figure out the theater/streaming interplay. There will continue to be a market for theaters but perhaps smaller than historically (heck, even drive-ins continue to make money).

I never understood how drive-ins werent packed during the lockdowns. Entertainment and separation all in one.
They closed the last remaining one near me, and I want to say it was the last one in Illinois.

Entertainment and separation all in one.

Drive ins.... so much entertainment.

Nothing like going up to a friends car (remembering cars of the 70s were MUCH larger than now) and banging on the trunk and yelling ''get off my daughter'' and watching him fly out of the back seat with pants in hand and running while yelling ''I'm not on your daughter, sir.!!''

Now that's entertainment.!! :rofl::rofl:

Drive ins.... so much entertainment.

Nothing like going up to a friends car (remembering cars of the 70s were MUCH larger than now) and banging on the trunk and yelling ''get off my daughter'' and watching him fly out of the back seat with pants in hand and running while yelling ''I'm not on your daughter, sir.!!''

Now that's entertainment.!! :rofl::rofl:
Try that now and you'll dent the trunk lid, they'll probably total the car.

I really enjoyed the first season of Discovery. I'm looking forward to watching the rest when I get the chance. The whole Prime Directive thing though.... It's always reminded me too much of Apartheid.

I really enjoyed the first season of Discovery. I'm looking forward to watching the rest when I get the chance. The whole Prime Directive thing though.... It's always reminded me too much of Apartheid.
The first season wasn't bad. But once it started going bad, it went quick. JMO

I never understood how drive-ins werent packed during the lockdowns. Entertainment and separation all in one.
They closed the last remaining one near me, and I want to say it was the last one in Illinois.

Ours were once the public health officials figured things out.

Occasional blockbusters in IMAX 3D. Otherwise I watch everything at home. We go maybe once every couple of years.

IMAX 3D is actually a cool venue. I saw a Titantic documentary in one. It was hella cool.

So. KLNS (Lancaster,pa) has a imax theater across from the FBO and a great on field restaurant- Fiorentinos. this will be the way. Fly in. Eat in. Movie in.

Ok, I do wanna see the Sandra Bullock (so hot, want to touch the hin3y) movie and the one with that one dude roasting himself as an action hero. The guy that’s sometimes balding and sometimes hair plugged.

I like the Rock but wish he wouldn’t voice his political opinions so I don’t have to try to boycott his flicks.

I like the Rock but wish he wouldn’t voice his political opinions so I don’t have to try to boycott his flicks.

Yeah, why do celebrities feel the need to spew political noise? Kirk Cameron, Clint Eastwood and Tim Allen come to mind. Just ruins the experience.

Back