Burger King - Price Hikes

Good god man, I just checked. A single Whopper, no cheese, is $8.19.

At some point, too much is too much.

As predicted, artificially raising the minimum wage resulted in increased prices at places using minimum wage. Net result: Those now making $15/hr are no further ahead than before the aritificial wage increases. But, they now owe their uncle a bigger tax bill, so maybe they are even worse off. The only one that wins is Uncle Sam.

Really? Last time I was in Walmart, they just made the customer do everything themselves.

So, you are saying Walmart has replaced workers then.??

First time I used the self serve checkout, I found an item in my cart that the checkout person missed....

Like the other day at the gas station. The attendant almost mis-fueled, did not check the oil or clean the windshield, then forgot to put the gas cap back on. And this was a self serve station....

As predicted, artificially raising the minimum wage resulted in increased prices at places using minimum wage. Net result: Those now making $15/hr are no further ahead than before the aritificial wage increases. But, they now owe their uncle a bigger tax bill, so maybe they are even worse off. The only one that wins is Uncle Sam.

I read a book back in college about the rise of Henry Ford - "The Flivver King" - where he outlined this exact argument. History repe.... nevermind.

This may be somewhat regional, but when I was in high school Hardee's (a/k/a Carl's Jr in some places) came out with "The $6 Burger", which I think they now call a "Thickburger". In any event, the whole point was that it was a sit-down restaurant quality burger that one might normally expect to pay $6 for in that setting, but at a fast-food price. I didn't remember exactly how much, but the below-linked article says $3.95 when it was introduced, which sounds about right - I was a cashier at Target back in those days (for $6/hour) so spending ~an hour's wage after tax on lunch was about all I was good for. I'm sure it costs much more now, as does the "sit-down restaurant quality" equivalent ($18 for a burger at Longhorn last weekend).

I feel sorry for the "least of these" who had trouble affording food (and gas, and healthcare, and, and and) before the current inflation rate. Not getting better anytime soon, I'm afraid.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/hardees-offers-six-dollar-burger

Good god man, I just checked. A single Whopper, no cheese, is $8.19.

At some point, too much is too much.
I honestly don’t know how the average Joe can afford to live in California, I love to visit, but not sure I could stomach hanging my hat there. That said, I think more and more are being priced out and having to move east.

You're damned lucky you're eating. Wait six months. We'll all be on the Venezuelan rat diet.

In my part of FL, diesel is in a race with 100LL. At the moment, Diesel is winning.

Yup, I just hit $175 to fill up the SUV with diesel this week. $5.49/gallon in my neck of the woods, which is generally one of the cheapest areas of the country to buy fuel. That's a lot of coin for what used to be less than $100 less than a year ago, and a product that takes less money to refine than gasoline and is used in greater volumes.

I honestly don’t know how the average Joe can afford to live in California, I love to visit, but not sure I could stomach hanging my hat there. That said, I think more and more are being priced out and having to move east.
Yeah. But a lot have hit the Jackpot and are moving with their money and buying property in other states creating demand that drives up the prices there and pizzes of the locals and blah blah blah

It is difficult to understand how anyone with a brain didn't see this coming ... oh wait!

Like the other day at the gas station. The attendant almost mis-fueled, did not check the oil or clean the windshield, then forgot to put the gas cap back on. And this was a self serve station....

Truth makes great humor! I've got a couple of those T-shirts ... but don't remember where I put 'em.

By letting them eat BK Chicken Juniors obvs. I suppose that would be "Qu'ils mangent de la Poulet Junior"

(not to yuck someone else's yum, but... blecch :D )

This may be somewhat regional, but when I was in high school Hardee's (a/k/a Carl's Jr in some places) came out with "The $6 Burger", which I think they now call a "Thickburger". In any event, the whole point was that it was a sit-down restaurant quality burger that one might normally expect to pay $6 for in that setting, but at a fast-food price. I didn't remember exactly how much, but the below-linked article says $3.95 when it was introduced, which sounds about right - I was a cashier at Target back in those days (for $6/hour) so spending ~an hour's wage after tax on lunch was about all I was good for. I'm sure it costs much more now, as does the "sit-down restaurant quality" equivalent ($18 for a burger at Longhorn last weekend).

I feel sorry for the "least of these" who had trouble affording food (and gas, and healthcare, and, and and) before the current inflation rate. Not getting better anytime soon, I'm afraid.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/hardees-offers-six-dollar-burger

I have ranted about this numerous times. Too many times to recount. The 'Six Dollar Burger' was a half pound hamburger that was a not great but reasonable deal at $3.99 at the time when it was introduced. Now, they don't even exist. Carl's has completely eliminated their half pound patty for third pound patties, and even the basic third pounder is pushing ten bucks.

It's happening. Most move north to Washington but many are moving more inland to other states.

It's happening. Most move north to Washington but many are moving more inland to other states.

That’s why Texas grocers are selling Tri Tip. Real butchers don’t mess with it, though. Yet.

That’s why Texas grocers are selling Tri Tip. Real butchers don’t mess with it, though. Yet.

Well, any cut can be made in to hamburger. I actually like tri tip, better than the standard NY strip, ribeye, chuck steak, et. al. And I feel that it is a California redemption. A cut of meat that would have otherwise gone to ground beef but it is super yummy cooked just right.

Oh and, by the way, I really like all of the others, to. Don't get me wrong about that. You give me a steak, and I'll cook it up righteous for you.

… A cut of meat that would have otherwise gone to ground beef but it is super yummy cooked just right.
Well yeah. Even the French figured that out with steak frites.

It’s about the same as NY so I’m used to it. I had a long SFO layover and spent $25 on Indian food. Just some chicken tikka masala, rice and naan. Good thing the captain covered the beers!

Back