I am looking for someone to call the bottom of the market.

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I have some retirement money sitting in cash and need someone to help me know when to jump in. My investment guy won’t commit.

Wait until something economic makes the top of national news, then we’ll be close.

My guess is better than the doggie’s in your avatar, and that’s about it.

I have some retirement money sitting in cash and need someone to help me know when to jump in. My investment guy won’t commit.

maybe around 257 days. One can only hope.

or maybe 183.

Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.

Don't try too hard to guess the bottom. Determine your personal downside risk tolerance vs. missing the trough.

The real guess is how long Russia will hold up in Ukraine, and what happens after that.

I don’t think calling the bottom is going to be the issue..more so calling when we will see consistent growth going forward. I see a lot of wavering over an extended period of time- but I’m a bearish kinda guy

Simple. When the talking heads on CNBC start talking about how the market will get a lot worse before it gets better, its time start looking for undervalued companies you want to own.

IMHO, its Not about waiting for the bottom. Its about buying value AND NOT SELLING INTO YOUR LOSES!

One word, and I really mean one word this time. No, really, just one word......

oil

Time is money. Put the money to work now. Sure you may make an extra 1 or 3%… but it’ll be better to get money to work now than waiting for a chance at 5%.

That being said, the bottom is usually when normies puke and start selling.

Watch the airlines and other transport stocks. They’ll be hitting their bottoms here soon. As an addition wait for the feds to finish with their interest rate hikes.

Last edited:
Never mind, I see it’s back up so we Musta hit bottom. I’ll be calling my broker now.

The key is holding good stocks for the long run. I’m trying to hedge against downside by selling calls and collecting weekly premium. It lowers my average cost and I don’t have to just sit on dead money watching things fall. Still, had I have known things would come down as much as they have, I would have never bought at the levels I did. That being said, I think it’s all way over done, though I have no clue when the bottom will be in, only the computers that are doing the selling know, as most of this isn’t human induced.

Honestly I should just publish my trades when I make them and you can do the opposite of what I do. You'd make a killing. :D

Just waiting for things to completely tank so I can buy in again.
Sold off a lot of stuff the end of October before the election.
Getting close.

I bought some Amazon stock because it's supposed to split 20:1... right now it's just hurting watching it drop!

The key is holding good stocks for the long run. I’m trying to hedge against downside by selling calls and collecting weekly premium. It lowers my average cost and I don’t have to just sit on dead money watching things fall. Still, had I have known things would come down as much as they have, I would have never bought at the levels I did. That being said, I think it’s all way over done, though I have no clue when the bottom will be in, only the computers that are doing the selling know, as most of this isn’t human induced.
Happily, I don’t really need to make a return. But, it would help buy more Av gas.
Fixed returns are up to 3.2%. More I am waiting for them to top out.

Are we saying that deficit spending and the Fed printing more money in the past 2 years than we've seen in recorded history isn't "human induced"? :)

If you buy before a split and then the stock goes back up, you stand to make some money.
... and if the stock goes down, you lose money. Both of these things are true regardless of whether a split is involved or not.

Seriously, splits are an anachronism from the days of "round lot" (100 shares) trading. When a stock price was high, round lots became expensive and market demand was thought to drop. By splitting, the company intended to make it easier for retail investors to buy round lots. Many historical studies have shown that splits have no real effect on prices going forward. Split or no split, the net value of the asset doesn't change as the result of a split. These days, the $ penalty between buying an odd lot and a round lot is usually negligible, so splitting is unnecessary except maybe as a publicity stunt.

Historical note, Berkshire Hathaway has led the way in stock prices for years. Today the quotation is $470,847.25 per share. In olden times, Buffet was often leaned on by the infrastructure providers to do a split, the objective being to reduce the number of digits that the infrastructure providers needed to deal with. He never did that, but he did eventually create a second share class (Class B) that was the same as the Class A stock except it represented 1/30th the value of the Class A stock, hence selling at 1/30th of the price and being more accessible to investors.

Back