Q: Report Wisdom Teeth Extractions

TCABM

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
3G
I fly on BasicMed and don’t maintain an FAA Class I-III medical. I recently had 3x wisdom teeth removed by an oral-maxillofacial surgeon who, by law, is also a dentist. My dentist referred me to the OMFS.

The OMFS is a cash only provider and I did not file for insurance reimbursement. The event took place in the OMFS’s office which is in a building that separately houses a long term rehab hospital. The building also rents office space to other healthcare and non-healthcare providers.

In the future, if I go back for a Class I-III medical, is this a reportable event.

Last edited:
Percocet + alcohol = bad stuff can happen. ;)

I’m missing something. What does insurance reimbursement have to do with applying for a an FAA medical certificate? Why would it matter who pays for a procedure?

Yes, report it. Seems harmless enough. Plenty of people have minor procedures all the time. Your AME will probably (at worst) raise his or her eyebrows and say "OK then, moving on..."

I fly on BasicMed and don’t maintain an FAA Class I-III medical. I recently had 3x wisdom teeth removed by an oral-maxillofacial surgeon who, by law, is also a dentist. My dentist referred me to the OMFS.

The OMFS is a cash only provider and I did not file for insurance reimbursement. The event took place in the OMFS’s office which is in a building that separately houses a long term rehab hospital. The building also rents office space to other healthcare and non-healthcare providers.

In the future, if I go back for a Class I-III medical, is this a reportable event.
Whether or not tooth extraction is "surgery," you must report three years of visits to health professionals. The OMFS and even your dentist are health professionals. But the instructions for Medxpress say that routine dental exams are not reportable. Was this a routine dental exam? If you can answer that question, you've answered your question.

This was not a routine exam and should be reported if applying for a medical, but it's a complete non-event. I've had numerous oral surgeries (several wisdom tooth extractions and two broken tooth extraction/implant replacement). It wasn't even a hiccup during my medicals.

But what if I had wooden dentures installed and I can prove that my oral surgeon used the techniques found in AC 43.13-1b?

:rolleyes:

Isn't a tooth extraction routine dental? Says routine dental visits can be excluded does it matter if it is a wisdom tooth or not.

Isn't a tooth extraction routine dental? Says routine dental visits can be excluded does it matter if it is a wisdom tooth or not.

my guess is that an extraction that requires an oral surgeon would not me considered routine by the FAA.

It doesn't say "routine dental visits" it says "routine dental examinations." Extractions go beyond a normal examination, one would think. Report it, it's not of any consequence. Your AME will note it and go on.

It doesn't say "routine dental visits" it says "routine dental examinations." Extractions go beyond a normal examination, one would think. Report it, it's not of any consequence. Your AME will note it and go on.

Does everyone report teeth cleaning, filings, and crowns?

Cleaning is part of the exam as far as I'm concerned (just like washing the engine is part of the annual). The other stuff I report.

If every pilot reported every time they went to a dentist or dr, the FAA would have to hire a lot more people to go through medicals.

Dental, really?

With the historic actions of the FAA, I wouldn’t especially if it was a cash thing and not tied to insurance. Trust the FAA as far as you can throw them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back